Thread: rebarrel help needed

Default rebarrel help needed

Anyone know where I can get an old barrel removed from a mauser and a new one installed, finish chambered and head spaced on a tight budget?

Quote Originally Posted by rifleshooter View Post
    Anyone know where I can get an old barrel removed from a mauser and a new one installed, finish chambered and head spaced on a tight budget?
    Where are you located?

You might consider searching your area for a hobbyist that might help/direct you to complete this project. Lots of Mauser actions have been rebarreled in garages down through the years. Can't get much cheaper than doing it yourself...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Unless there is some attachment to that particular rifle, it's usually cheaper to buy a good used rifle than rebarrel an existing one and you can sell the mauser to help offset the cost of another rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Unless there is some attachment to that particular rifle, it's usually cheaper to buy a good used rifle than rebarrel an existing one and you can sell the mauser to help offset the cost of another rifle.
    Concur with the above. MidwayUSA barrel - about $90. Reamer and tool rental - $75. Timney Trigger w/safety - $90. New bolt welded on - $80. Scope bases drilled - $45. F-U-N factor - priceless!!!

Do it for fun, not for money.

go to Shaw Barrels website and look through their costs, you'll be surprised how inexpensive their charges are and from what I have read (haven't had one of my own to date) they are a decent barrel and good gunsmiths - I have no idea what your background or experience levels are but rebarrelling a rifle (and having it shoot well) isn't rocket science BUT it IS along those lines - finding a "good" barrel man is not as easy as people make it sound and I know this from experience as I have had a few jobs that I wish I could undo - Personally, I would rather wait a year throwing spare change in a jar and end up with a shooter than jump "on the cheap" and wind up with a "so so" rifle bit that's my HO

If you are paying to have all the work done you are missing out on a lot of the fun factor! Some of the work like drilling and tapping you can do yourself if you are carefull. Mausers are soft and easy to work on. If you have a friend with a welding outfit you can weld the handle yourself or purchase a set of blocks and forge it like a commerical mauser.

Also consider starting out with a Mauser that already has a lot of the work that you can't do yourself already done and go from there. There are a lot of MK X, FN, and sporterized 8mm mausers out there - check the March gun shows and used gun sources. The stock work including inletting, glass bedding, and finishing you can do yourself. You can also hand finish the metal yourself and then let one of the shops blue it for you. Re-barreling can be a bit touchy but a lot of people including myself have done it in the garage or basement.

The fun factor is indeed pricelss - even if the market value of the finished product isn't worth what you have in it.

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    Concur with the above. MidwayUSA barrel - about $90. Reamer and tool rental - $75. Timney Trigger w/safety - $90. New bolt welded on - $80. Scope bases drilled - $45. F-U-N factor - priceless!!!

Do it for fun, not for money.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

You are all correct.
    First, I'm aware that I could just but a rifle that may be even better. But I cheap on myself while working out of town and save my per diem instead of fancy resturants and drinking too much with friends, so milsurps are my little pleasure in life.
    I'd like to do as much work as possible myself, or under the supervision of someone who knows what they are doing and could lend a hand. I want the kids to join in on parts we can do together, it will be their rifle.
    I've drilled and tapped before, but don't have a jig.....just measured numerous times. I have a glass-bedding kit and am sure I can do that myself, and will consider buying a $30 hot bluing pan and the chemicals. I bent a Swede bolt with a friend and borrowed blocks and instructions from a machinist in the valley (I live in Anchorage). I've redone a stock.
    However, I know my limitations and am afraid to try installing a barrel, finish chambering and squaring the receiver face. Also, I would love a butterknife bolt handle.
    I just don't have friends with knowledge or equipment to show me how and check my work, or teach me how.

commercial mauser '98 's are all proofed at 100,000 psi making "they are soft" difficult for me to understand - 1/64th off on just scope base holes will be the devil to figure out when mounting your scope - "most" human eyes can't detect what makes "true" from "off" so, IMO "fun" is in the wallet of the payer - for my dollars, I will pay a professional to do the barrel / smith work and do what I do best in my garage - there are countless antedoctal stories about "guys" who built their own rifles, loaded their own ammo, etc ... etc ... if it was "easy" then we wouldn't have gunsmiths with "legendary" reputations

Shaw has about the lowest prices on threading and chambering that I have seen and their barrel prices are fairly low as well. Their barrels aren't the best in the world but are plenty good enough for hunting rifles. As far as DIY you need a lathe, action wrench and reamer and some know how to cut threads and properly cut the chamber as well. This is not the place to learn without help from someone that does know how. It is fun though.

Smile

Unless you've got a really buggered up action, I wouldn't worry too much about squaring the receiver face. If you buy a short chambered barrel from Brownells, Midway or Shaw, you can rent all the tools (including the go, no-go guages) from these guys:

http://www.4-dproducts.com/

I bought a 300 Win Mag and a Mauser action off GunBroker, rented the tools, read what I could find online about reaming a short chambered barrel and did the job. I had wanted to square the bolt face the receiver face, but that would have not allowed me to chamber the barrel myself. I shoots just fine (1.5 inch groups). The great thing about messing around with this stuff is you can do it yourself and "meter" how much money you spend over time.

Otherwise, E.R. Shaw does have really good prices to do everything you want. Or buy a barrel from them or the other companies mentioned and take it to AK Custom or WWGs. Unless you want some unusual cartridge, their charge to rebarrel might not be out of your $$ range.

If you really have a bone about "blueprinting" the action (squaring the bolt face, bolt lugs, receiver face and shoulders), you should then save your money and buy a better barrel than a Midway Adams&Bennett or a Shaw. Buy a Brownells Shilen short chambered Mauser barrel. Otherwise, you might just be "polishing a turd."
    Last edited by GD Yankee; 02-01-2011 at 18:09. Reason: more info

Thanks guys. I sent the barreled action off to E.R. Shaw down in PA. They were great to deal with on the phone , despite the Super Bowl results yesterday. I partially fitted a Remington 798 stock during the game, and will bed it with my Stocky's kit when they return it with a new 7x57 barrel, forged over polished bolt etc... Their prices do look fair and some stateside internet posts say folks were happy with their work. Hopefully, soon, I'll report back with the same report, pics and targets.