Thread: New Ties

Default New Ties

A couple smallish ones i tied up.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010353 (2).jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	45083

Ties to add.

Nice guys! Ever think about those things that make you step back and say to your-self UM! Ha! Wonder why that is? We have all been taught and or seen eyes on hooks for the most part mounted to the top of the shank. This has always created what is referred to as an upside down weed knocker i.e. the fly is always presented in a mannar oposite of what we see when we tie flies.

I don't know about nothing for the most part " yes a double negative" however has anyone ever seen eyes on the bottom of the fish or bug we are trying to duplicate?

Um! Kinda sorta makes you wonder eh! Again we tend to see things as OH! AH! That looks great and for the most part they work and work well however still begs the question why don't we put the eyes on the bottom of the shank to allow the hook to be in a natural position when utilizing straight hooks. Understand there is no room on a bent eye hook but most of our larger salt water flies are straight eyed.

anywho! You all have a great week.

I like to tie my variation of the dollie lama with big eyes rather than a cone head & usually tie the eyes under the main hook shank.

I do this for the reason you mentioned - the stinger hook rides in an "up" position, resulting in less snags (well, I hope its a few less snags, at any rate).

I also tie some streamer/smolt patterns the same way.

I tie my smolt patterns the same, tie everything on the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I like to tie my variation of the dollie lama with big eyes rather than a cone head & usually tie the eyes under the main hook shank.

I do this for the reason you mentioned - the stinger hook rides in an "up" position, resulting in less snags (well, I hope its a few less snags, at any rate).

I also tie some streamer/smolt patterns the same way.

hmm. i guess i always do the same, eyes placed so hook will ride up, (could pay more attention at times when fly is not tied round) but this is mostly for stream fishing with the same idea that snags will be reduced. so for saltwater flies where snagging bottom would not be a concern is there a strike hook-up or any other advantage of tying eyes on the bottom? (so that when the hook is in presented the water its in the same position it is in the vice?) i also dont tie too many flies for saltwater but all traditional patterns i can think of present the fly with hook up.

I never really gave much thought to where I placed lead/brass eyes on flies until a few years ago when I tied up a half-dozen woolhead sculpins and found out later (to my dismay) that they all swam upside down. Since then I've always taken a moment to think about how the fly will ride in the water.

To answer your question, B.I., I can't think of any advantage of tying with the eyes on the bottom. I like having the fly ride hook up as I think it's less likely to snag, so typically tie eyes on top. As a result, I tie these flies inverted knowing they'll flip over once in the drink. Of course, if they're tied in the round, it makes no difference. But for instance, clousers and such, it definitely matters.

If at all possible, I'll tie any patterns with weighted eyes so they ride inverted/hook up.

That said, there are some patterns that don't lend themselves well to being tied inverted, due to how wings/zonker strips/bodies are tied in. Some baitfish and sculpin patterns come to mind (not articulated). Stuff where you have light bottoms/dark tops and can't easily switch it for whatever reason. These are the rare cases where I'll tie eyes in on the bottom. For articulated, such as posted above, if they're tied in the round it makes no difference - assuming you think through how you position your trailer hook.

If in doubt, tie up a pattern and proof it in the bathtub or some other large container of water. My tying philosophy has definitely changed a bit as I've started testing how patterns act in the water.

Anyway, interesting thoughts... nice ties B.I. and Bowdy.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I'm headed to Hawaii tuesday and want to try and catch a peacock bass. The best site I could find on peacock bass fishing hawaii recommends tying flies with the hook up for weedless purposes. http://www.hawaiibassfishing.com/def...?nc=2571&id=38

Do you guys tie your nymphs and everything that way too? What about beads?
    Okay, I was joking about beads.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    I'm headed to Hawaii tuesday and want to try and catch a peacock bass. The best site I could find on peacock bass fishing hawaii recommends tying flies with the hook up for weedless purposes. http://www.hawaiibassfishing.com/def...?nc=2571&id=38

Do you guys tie your nymphs and everything that way too? What about beads?
    Okay, I was joking about beads.
    When I get a new pack of beads, I take all of them out and string them on a piece of string - give it a shake or two and then I know the heaviest side of the bead has rotated to the bottom. Then I make a tiny dot with a fine-tip sharpie marking the "heavy" side of the bead. After that, I can place my beads accordingly to further control how gravity affects my nymphs.

Have fun in Hawaii... post pics if you hook up with a pbass!
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    When I get a new pack of beads, I take all of them out and string them on a piece of string - give it a shake or two and then I know the heaviest side of the bead has rotated to the bottom. Then I make a tiny dot with a fine-tip sharpie marking the "heavy" side of the bead. After that, I can place my beads accordingly to further control how gravity affects my nymphs.

Have fun in Hawaii... post pics if you hook up with a pbass!
    I just drill a small hole - perpendicular to the axis hole & pour a small slug of lead in.

wow, thats innovation and dedication. although for that effort i think id have to be guaranteed zero snags on bottom.

Some new ties... I started with an empty box this fall and told myself I was going to fill it completely before the start of the season. I'm almost there.

Side A is dries and dragonflies. Side B is nymphs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1252.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	45433

Name:	IMG_1242.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	45431

Quote Originally Posted by cube01 View Post
    Some new ties... I started with an empty box this fall and told myself I was going to fill it completely before the start of the season. I'm almost there.

Side A is dries and dragonflies. Side B is nymphs.

Name:	IMG_1252.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	45433

Name:	IMG_1242.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	45431
    TWO boxes of fun. Nice work, cube01.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    TWO boxes of fun. Nice work, cube01.
    It's actually one double sided box. They are my absolute favorite. I carry one of these and one of their streamer boxes and I'm set!

http://buy.scientificanglers.com/fly-boxes/max-752.html

[QUOTE=scott_rn;885243]I'm headed to Hawaii tuesday and want to try and catch a peacock bass. The best site I could find on peacock bass fishing hawaii recommends tying flies with the hook up for weedless purposes. http://www.hawaiibassfishing.com/def...?nc=2571&id=38

Those Peacock Bass are savage!!
    Try throwing some topwater plugs and poppers... bright colors witha fast retrieve. Gotta say I'm sorta jelouse right now...

Good looking flies all!
    -Tight Lines & head shakin