Thread: Who is the United Fisherman of Alaska Fish Political Action Committee

Default Who is the United Fisherman of Alaska Fish Political Action Committee

Heard and read several stories about the United Fisherman of Alaska Fish Political Action Committee -- and no real opinion of them. I am curious what others may think? I found no discussion of dipnetting on the site and the current listing states they favor a farm/wild salmon label -- they also encourage their "Washington state" members to oppose the port cargo tax. Thus, it appears they maybe a number of Washington state members in the United Fisherman of Alaska Fish Political Action Committee group. Another item of interest is that the group appears to favor reducing the sport fishing folks halibut catch. I also looked over the web site and the board members -- the group appears to be very corporate based (http://www.ufa-fish.org/bm.htm). However, the individual members were not listed. Do any dipnetter groups belong?

Default UFA

I doubt many dippers are members of this group. I think maybe a lot of members are reconsidering their membership and some at the top have some explaining to do.

http://www.alaskareport.com/taufen30019.htm

UFA has submitted a proposal, #228, to repeal the Sustainable Salmon Policy -5AAC39.222 at the March Board of Fish meeting.

Nerka, do you know?

My guess is it is a large influencial lobbying group comprised of commercial fishing interest.

Default have no idea

United Fisherman of Alaska - UFA is an organization of commercial fisherman - I am not sure what this group is but I will ask around and see if they are associated.

Found out anything Nerka?

I'm surprised a former com fish biologist doesn't have the information....their web site is www.ufa-fish.org/bu.htm and lists members, goals and legislation they support. They are an organization of commercial fishers, processors and others who have an interest in the profitable prosecution of the commercial fisheries in and around Alaska. They own or are the primary lessees of the UFA building accross the street from the capitol and are very active and influential lobbyists.