Thread: King salmon Rod

Default King salmon Rod

Just curious, but i have a 9 wt loomis GL2 and i was wondering if i should worry about cracking it fighting a king..and if anybody has a recomendation of a good wt and rod without breaking the bank for it.
    thanks a million

Some people use a 9wt. I bought a new king set up this winter. I bought a 10ft 10wt TFO Jim Teeny with a Lamson Lite Speed 4. It didnt break the bank and should be about spot on. The reel I got an awesome deal at the Whorehouse for $250 and got the rod online for about $180. I put Rio Clouser 10wt line on it that I got at Mt View.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy-v38 View Post
    Just curious, but i have a 9 wt loomis GL2 and i was wondering if i should worry about cracking it fighting a king..and if anybody has a recomendation of a good wt and rod without breaking the bank for it.
    thanks a million
    You're good. Rock it man.

The GL2 is one of the strongest fly rods off the market around. Having siad that, I would recommend purchasing a quality, less expensive rod in either a 10 or 11wt just for kings. Consider either a TFO in the Ticr series or an Echo. Both have great warranties and you will get the same rod back (or same type in return). Just a thought for consideration, GL2 fly rods are no longer in production, so if you break it, you will receive an "Experience" fly rod in return. Tight lines!

here's a trick to avoid rod breakage:

Use light tippet...

Keep it under 20# and your fine...

Other tips:
    Don't lift strait up when fishing from a boat.
    Also, don't touch the rod above the cork I've seen more rods break because of this than anything else.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

thanks alot guys, i will have to give it a shot, but seeing as how fishing for kings is expensive enough i will pick a a cheaper rod for the job,,thanks again

Your question is vague in a sense. What kind of water will you be fishing and will it be from a boat or shore, is this a dedicated king rod only, how much flyfishing experience do you have, do you like to fish on the lighter side of the tackle scale, or heavier side?

I ask because I use an 8wt rod for kings, I do not, however, fish deep fast water for kings with this setup, if from a boat generaly speaking, one can really get away with very/ultra light tackle. Most of the king fishing I do is on the "slower and shallower" rivers of SC Alaska form shore and boat. I do not fish the Kenai for kings.

Consider which type of water you will be fishing.

The average size of the fish from that water.

Your flyfishing experience level.

Shore bound or boat angling.

$$ to invest.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy-v38 View Post
    thanks a million
    I got the same Loomis in my arsenal..... I've taken many kings on that rod! Hatchery kings no prob...... the big lunkers might take a few minutes though but certainly possible.

Learn to build your own it isn't as hard as it seems. I am not a fan of factory rods. when you build your own you can take the time to put a reel on the rod and move the guides around to get the best casting performance out of it. You get a better rod for the money as well.
    Look to Batson for blanks. Their RX-6 series of rods are the "Tanks" of their rod line up. There is nothing else you can say about them. I have put them through a lot, and they are always ready for the next battle. They are very reasonably priced as well. If you build it yourself, it is possible to get everything you need, for less than $100.00. I doubt you will find a comprable porduction rod for that price. Just my 2 cents.