Thread: Bear Bait Questions

Default Bear Bait Questions

2 years in AK, 1st time bbob hunting. I live in Eagle River and it looks like I need to get serious about pickin a spot. I have a couple questions though. When you guys do your scouting are you going in on snow machines? I don't have one yet...Also, from Eagle River what do you guys recomend North or South? Thanks in advance!!

From Eagle River West across the inlet we got more than you want to skin out.
    Chuck

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Murray View Post
    2 years in AK, 1st time bbob hunting. I live in Eagle River and it looks like I need to get serious about pickin a spot. I have a couple questions though. When you guys do your scouting are you going in on snow machines? I don't have one yet...Also, from Eagle River what do you guys recomend North or South? Thanks in advance!!
    yup go with Hiline... unit 16... anywhere road accessible will be inundated unless you can squeeze in... ..

And leave ol b-bob alone... not his fault he stutters...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks guys!! I wasn't sure if I would have to go way up north or way down to the Hope area. It's good to know I might get a spot closer. I have only seen one black bear since I have been here and it was on hi line rd. Thanks!!

Hi Andrew,

Hope and unit 16 is good, but they can be full of hunters - that's not to say you can't find a spot mind you, just they are two of the more populated baiting locations around south-central.

Snow-machine scouting/looking works, as does snow shoeing.. just depends on where your going to go. You can also try to fly over the area and/or buy/take aerial photographs to 'get a feel' of the area your thinking of hunting (purchased photo's may be a few years old though or not be available).

Oh.. don't forget Goggle Earth.

Good luck!
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Default Scent

Unit 16 is awesome! The more baiters hunting that area the more attractive my bait is over in my hunting Unit :-)
    All kidding aside. A trick that seems to work for me, is scouting the area for a location where I can lay the most scent into the wind current. Most locations have bears. It seems that getting that scent trail out as far as possible really helps. I usually look for a drainage that has some great trails in it and place my bait in a location where the scent can really get out there.
    I am not sure if I have just been lucky, but I have had great results with picking locations.
    Another trick. Do your scouting in the fall! Sure they are typically feeding in different locations, but in the fall it is easy to find those well established trails, most often the trails that are most used in the fall will be the same trails that, they are walking in the spring. Especially if those trails that are coming in and out of the high country.
    I pay as much attention to placing scent as I do filling the drum. Even after the bait is hit, if you can put something out that gets on the bear, they will help you extend your scent trail.
    Try it. You will be happy that you did.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the tips, everytime I come on here I learn something!!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by cusackla View Post
    Unit 16 is awesome! The more baiters hunting that area the more attractive my bait is over in my hunting Unit :-)
    All kidding aside. A trick that seems to work for me, is scouting the area for a location where I can lay the most scent into the wind current. Most locations have bears. It seems that getting that scent trail out as far as possible really helps. I usually look for a drainage that has some great trails in it and place my bait in a location where the scent can really get out there.
    I am not sure if I have just been lucky, but I have had great results with picking locations.
    Another trick. Do your scouting in the fall! Sure they are typically feeding in different locations, but in the fall it is easy to find those well established trails, most often the trails that are most used in the fall will be the same trails that, they are walking in the spring. Especially if those trails that are coming in and out of the high country.
    I pay as much attention to placing scent as I do filling the drum. Even after the bait is hit, if you can put something out that gets on the bear, they will help you extend your scent trail.
    Try it. You will be happy that you did.
    Hey Cusackla, are those pics of Unit 16 bears? The tag in the lower left hand corner implies they are from PWS. You do seem to have a knack for finding bears!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Hey Cusackla, are those pics of Unit 16 bears? The tag in the lower left hand corner implies they are from PWS. You do seem to have a knack for finding bears!!!
    Nope! They are not Unit 16. :-)