Thread: Looking for a target.

Default Looking for a target.

I'm looking to buy a target for the back yard (probably a block of some kind) and was looking for suggestions and places to go for best selection and pricing (in the Anchorage/valley area). This is all new to me, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Burlap bag full of fredy's plastic grocery bag.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

While I've used the burlap sacks with great success, I find it easier to just go down to Sportsman's Warehouse and plunk down $50 for a Morrell Yellowjacket bag target for field tips. I use a Morrell Yellowjacket broadhead target for broadheads. My last Yellowjacket bag lasted for two summers of heavy shooting.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I have had good luck with both the burlap bag and the yellowjacket bag. The yellowjacket has held up for several years I bought a replacement cover for it and just slid it over it when the old one was worn out and the target was like new.

I have a $40 bag from SW. The last one lasted about 3 years. They stop field tips nicely. A buddy of mine just gave me a Cabelas block for broadheads, but I have not yet tried it out. I built a V type frame to hang my target from out of PVC pipe. Works pretty well and is mobile in the event I want to move it around the yard.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Default The Block

I bought the Block from SW and it does great for both field tips or broadheads. I also had my wife buy a roll of burlap from the sewing store and put her to work!! She can so it to whatever dimensions I want and then I stuff it with plastic bags, it takes alot of plastic but works great for field tips. Found it to be a cheap way for my 16 and 9 yr olds to get practice.

Thanks for the responses. As stated earlier, for some unknown reason, I'm kind of leaning towards a block style target . I find it really interesting the wide range of prices with these types of targets, from $50 up to $230 in Cabelas. I absolutely have no intention of spending anywhere near $200 for a bow target.

Whatever you do dont get the Black Hole targets from SW. I have two of them and they are JUNK. I have to tighten them down with a strap to prevent full on pass throughs. My brand new one was getting pass throughs the first time I used it. A good target to look at is the Rinehart, 18-1, I think SW has them. One target I'd like to try is the "Blob", blobtargets.com . Unfortunately it cost a lot of $$ to ship it up here...

The "funnest" target I have is the Rinehart 18 sided target. It is light, portable, and takes field points as readily as broadheads (many targets only take one or the other, not both). You can toss the target, then "pick" the facet you want to shoot. When you hit the target it will roll, giving you another facet to shoot. I like running a rope between trees and let the target dangle from the rope so it is gently swaying, giving me a more realistic movement of an animal. I take it on all my hunting trips for fun at the camp site. I have no affiliation with the company, just a pleased customer :-) http://www.rinehart3d.com/products/#c12
    I have had this one target for 3 years, tons of arrow hits, and it is holding up great...much better than my McKenzie deer that UV rays are destroying.
    Last edited by Roger45; 01-30-2011 at 10:49. Reason: More info
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Make you own for $20

PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Make you own for $20

Those look pretty slick, and the price is right. What are you using in there to stop the arrow, and does it keep the arrow from going in up to the fletching?

Yep they stop arrows I pack them with old clothes,Just make sure you take off all the buttons ,These I shot at 25 yards you can see they stop

There are pros and cons to all different kinds. For years I used 3-d targets. I like shooting at 3-d targets, because I believe they help to teach how to pick a spot at an animal that doesn't have a bullseye on it's chest. The downside to 3-d targets is they are more expensive, and they are harder to move around at different distances. Recently I have been using the block broadhead targets more. These are more affordable, you can shoot broadheads into them, and they are easy to move around in different positions and distances relatively easily. Also, the other advantage to a small block target, is you can bring them along with you on hunts like the haul road. I have not used the burlap targets except on archery ranges, but I suppose there are pros and cons to those also.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I have not used the burlap targets except on archery ranges, but I suppose there are pros and cons to those also.
    Yep , My big ones weigh 80 lbs....LOL!!!!! That's why I have 8 of them set up from 20-75 yrds

I went thru two of the black block targets, short life to them. My wife uses them though with good result as she shoots at 35lbs W/ light arrows. I went to a yellow bag but didn't hang it up and it water logged on me, my own fault. Now I have a white bag (make unk ) works good. Also the family gave me a 3D's as gifts for a while and now I have a deer, turkey and a coyote. I enjoy them the most and I think that they really help finding a kill zone as stated above.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Burlap bag full of fredy's plastic grocery bag.
    I have done the same thing and it works great, I think I have about 5 dollars invested in my target and it stops my arrows at 20 yards 65# pull.

I have a 20 target course set up in my yard. Total cost $0.00. Used feed bags for the covers and plastic grocery bags for stuffing. Old clothing will work but with any kind of weather your target will soon be like Roggers. "MY big one wieghs 80 pounds" The targets are mounted on hay bails that were too far gone to be used as feed. John thanked me for hauling them away. The course is varied and chalanging, I shoot it daily and in two years I have only had to replcae 2 targets. Just stuff the old bag into a new feed bag and your done, takes all of 30 secounds.

I have one foam target. Its a nerf ball I have rigged on a rope and release for wing shooting practice.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

If you're not going to make your own - get a standard Block. As Jack said, the fact it's portable is a big plus. I draw 80 on one of my bows and have put them through the test and haven't had anything stand up better longer for the $.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.