Thread: Mechanical Inspectioin on used boat... .in January?

Default Mechanical Inspectioin on used boat... .in January?

Hey I am about to pull the trigger on a boat but I want to get the engines (Honda 150's) and the like checked out prior to signing the paperwork. I am having trouble finding any shop that wants to look at my boat right now. Everyone says they are too busy doing winter stuff to look at a boat.

Anyone know of a good boat mechanic in Anchorage or the valley that could put a 28 ft boat in their shop and look over the engines and electrical system for me?

AMDS should be able to help you. It should be a quick connect to a computer to verify the engine hours, updates, and any repairs performed.

If they are to busy now I would avoid them forever. Seems like during the slowest time of the year they would want your business. It will only get worse in the summer.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    I would avoid them forever.

This is some sound advice!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Unfortunately most of the "Boat" shops in this town are also Snowmobile, four wheeler, snowblower, gold mining, t-shirt shops. Did you try Odie's or Dewey's?

I don't even own a boat and I already know to avoid them...

Dewey's said they don't work on Honda's but where very help full and pointed us toward another couple of options. Not sure who Odie's is??

Right now we are waiting for a call back from Berkshore in Big Lake. They said they would call back on Monday.

If all else fails the guys at Harley in the valley told my wife to check the oil, if its milky there is a problem, if not your good to go. The motors only have 114 hours on them so I really don't expect any problems. I just really don't want to spend the $$ for the boat and find out I need a new engine.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I don't even own a boat and I already know to avoid them...

BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand... looks like your a quick study... been looking at getting back into them my self... will be my 4th i have owned...

check your lower unit fluids also.... if the weather cooperates... put some muffs on them and run them... don't forget to drain it all again though
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

try j kimberly services in anch or there's another one down there by the safeway off abbot........did you try valley marine of knik-goose bay. while they may not be "honda dealers" they should be able to a compression check & stuff for you. just a thought

JR, I sent you a pm that could help you out...