Thread: Pork fat

Default Pork fat

Where is the best place in the interior to buy pork fat to cut my hamburger and sausage with?
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

delta meats... i would have to say, as they have the farms there ... sometimes you can get it at Freds or safeway... but <BLICK!> i hate it.. i dont mix any in mine anymore... its reall good that way too.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I don't live in the interior (not even Alaska for that matter), but I get beef & pork fat from my local market. Just find a place that cuts their own meat. Ask them what they do with the "trimmings" & if they would sell you some. Most places I have contacted just give me the trimmings to get rid of it. I contact them about a week before I actually need it. Usually get about 15- 20# of each over one or two week time period.

When I grind my burger, I just mix in a pound of pepper bacon with 9 pounds of meat. As everyone knows, bacon is mostly fat anyways and you'll end up with excellent burger.

I just used some ground pork that was high in fat content. Doesn't take much!

fred myer has pork fat in the meat dept. Just ask them for the freshest stuff available. We mix ours about 8% for good eats, about 5% for leaner batches of burger.

larry

I also get my local butcher to provide me the fat I need for burger, but I prefer beef fat over pork fat in my burger. I use pork fat for my sausage.