Thread: Update on Guide Concession Program - January 2011

Default Update on Guide Concession Program - January 2011

http://notes4.state.ak.us/pn/pubnoti...2?OpenDocument

RFP 2011-1000-0002 for Developing a Guide Concession Program for the Dept. of Natural Resources Div. of Mining, Land & Water

Category: ProcurementDepartment: Natural Resources Publish Date:01/28/2011Location:Statewide
    Coastal District: N/A

Body of Notice:
    The State of Alaska Dept. of Natural Resources has issued a Request for Proposals for assistance in developing a guide concession program for managing the use of State land by big game guides.
    The State will hold a pre-proposal conference on Wednesday February 9, 2011 at 1:30 p.m. in Suite 240 of the Robert B. Atwood Building, 550 W. 7th Ave., Anchorage, AK 99501. The purpose of this conference is to discuss the work described in the RFP with potential offerors and allow potential offerors to ask questions. Attendance at this conference is not mandatory in order to submit a proposal, however the State strongly encourages potential offerors to attend. If you plan on attending, please contact the Procurement Officer and provide your contact information and the number of attendees.
    If you download the solicitation from this web site, you must register with the Procurement Officer listed on this document to receive subsequent amendments. Failure to contact the Procurement Officer may result in the rejection of your offer.

The State of Alaska complies with Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Individuals with disabilities who may need auxiliary aids, services, and/or special modifications to participate in this procurement should contact Marlys Hagen, C.P.M., Department Procurement Officer, at (907) 269-8666 no later than 10 calendar days before the due date to make any necessary arrangements.

Here is the link to the RFP pdf file:
    http://notes4.state.ak.us/pn/pubnoti...+rfp+final.pdf

Couple of important excerpts folks should be aware of:
    Purpose of the RFP
    The Alaska Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is seeking a qualified contractor to assist the Department of Natural Resources, Division of Mining, Land & Water in developing a guide concession program for managing the use of State land by big game guides. The goal is to develop a program that would create an area based allocation system for managing the use of state land by big game guides. For this Phases I and II of the project as described herein, the successful offeror will be directly responsible for aspects of the development of the program, including working with public and agency comments, reviewing and drafting documents, and assisting with public and agency information needs. The next phase of the project will generally consist of continued development of the program, including finalization of the program details, regulations, and forms, and possible implementation of the program upon approval of the DNR Commissioner. The State may choose to add the additional work to the contract, or may choose to procure those services separately.

Budget
    Department of Natural Resources estimates a budget of between $65,000 and $100,000 for the phases of the project included in this RFP. The State has requested additional funding for this project. Should additional funds be appropriated for this project, the State may choose to add funds to this contract for additional phases of the project as described above, or may choose to procure those services separately.

General Information
    The purpose of this RFP is for the department to obtain assistance to complete the next stages of development of the Guide Concession program. The successful offeror will review existing state and federal programs currently in use in Alaska, existing draft documents created by the division, and the public comments collected during recent public involvement in order to develop the work products. Occasional travel to in meetings may be required and will be at the contractor’s expense. The State highly desires that the successful offeror attend at least one day of the Big Game Commercial Services Board meeting that will be held March 15 through 17, 2011 in Fairbanks. Staff interviews in Anchorage and Fairbanks will also be required.

Frankly I find this unbelievable that the state is contracting out for a private entity in this fashion to design the Guide Concession Program after it was supposed to be the purview of DNR for so long.

So what was the real value in all those meetings and the public comment periods? How much more money is the state going to spend on this that they will never get back? Why won't the state provide the extra funding to DNR to hire more staff to specifically work on this under DNR's purview? Why are they seeking a private contractor?

Those are just a few of the many questions I have on all this. Have to say I am really frustrated with how this is continuing to go down.

Sounds like a good job for a retired Registered Guide.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Sounds like a good job for a retired Registered Guide.
    or maybe a former BOD member from AOC or SFW... that would fit in with the way things seem to be headed
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

A few notes from the BGCSB meeting in Anchorage back on 12/7/2010....

*While DNR had not "further progressed" the Guide Concession Plan in a year, there is going to be a second DNR Comment Period available online just before or just after the BGCSB meeting scheduled in Fairbanks next month, March 2011.
    **The State will hold a pre-proposal conference on Wednesday February 9, 2011 at 1:30 p.m. in Suite 240 of the Robert B. Atwood Building, 550 W. 7th Ave., Anchorage, AK 99501.
    ***Following the second, upcoming comment period, a Final GCP will be established in late 2011 or early 2012.
    ****The application/prospectus completion/submission period is projected for late 2012.
    *****Guide Concessions are projected to be selected/awarded in early 2013.
    ******Implementation in Fall of 2013 or early 2014.

I still oppose the implementation of this SOA/DNR GCP at this date as previously projected.
    More....soon,

Dennis

Concerning the future implementation of a Guide Concession Plan/Program, initiated by APHA, sanctioned by the Big Game Commercial Services Board (BGCSB) and their chairman, still being projected to be administered by SOA Dept of Natural Resources........

TODAY, Wednesday, 2/09/2011, is your big day if you want to become involved in the guide-outfitter concession selection process.

....The State of Alaska Dept. of Natural Resources has issued a Request for Proposals for assistance in developing a guide concession program for managing the use of State land by big game guides.
    The State will hold a pre-proposal conference on Wednesday February 9, 2011 at 1:30 p.m. in Suite 240 of the Robert B. Atwood Building, 550 W. 7th Ave., Anchorage, AK 99501. The purpose of this conference is to discuss the work described in the RFP with potential offerors and allow potential offerors to ask questions. Attendance at this conference is not mandatory in order to submit a proposal, however the State strongly encourages potential offerors to attend. (Please see entire notice in post #1 above.)

This is at the Anchorage DNR building where DNR employees make public presentations dressed like they are in a Charlie Brown cartoon. Nice shirt and tie not necessary. T-shirts very acceptable. Have not shaved for a few days? Don't worry. Shaving is optional at DNR functions. This could be your big chance to become involved in BGCSB history. That is what the manager spearheading this plan/program told me in the past.
    HooooRawwwww.
    Many guide-outfitters view THIS DNR GCP as an abortion at best.
    Many Alaskans believe that the SOA Big Game Commercial Services Board (the guide board) should address their perceived problems themselves, not pawn their concerns off to a SOA "sister" organization.

Truly Yours,
    dennis

Today, Wednesday, 2/09/11 was the big day for the initial conference-orientation for those that may want to become contractors involved with the DNR Guide Concession Plan abortion. DNR started the meeting off by expressing that the purpose of the GCP is “to limit and control the number of guides that operate on State of Alaska public land”.
    Five representatives from DNR were present. Eight potential contractor guests showed up. Well, eight adults and a child. Well, I guess only six potential contractor guests were there because I do not qualify as a potential contractor ‘cause I have a current registered guide-outfitter license. And an air transporter business guy was there and he will not qualify as a contractor. And the child, although very well behaved, probably does not yet have the necessary computer skills. Of the six remaining guests, I believe they represented four or five possible-potential contractors to become involved in this mess. I think they have to have a proposal submitted by Feb 22.
    I recognized no other guides, active or retired. In addition, I was surprised that I did not recognize anybody associated with APHA there to assist with their effort. But I do not know everybody. (Anyway, APHA was not clearly represented so I lost a bet and will have to buy lunch for a friend.) And I was surprised that some others, including forum members, decided that they were not players and declined to attend. Oh well.
    DNR pointed out that a new, updated time-line of events has been posted on their website. And they again said there will be another “public comment period” in March. The first public comment period resulted with 240 comment contributions. The vast majority were negative and did not support this effort, not even partly. So we will see what comes out of an evaluation of the last public comment period, or this next upcoming comment period. Oh well, oh well.

Again, I object to THIS program as presented because....
    1) Some of the positive-point-getter-questions are simply not relevant to how one conducts a guide-outfitter business.
    2) Some of the positive-point-getter-questions favored urban guides, discriminating against those that live in rural and remote locations.
    3) Many of the proposed questions will result in positive-point-getter answers that are not verifiable, can not be verified...which will simply result in a creative writing contest...best lier wins points.
    4) ...because I dislike seeing hard working and HONEST, ETHICAL Alaskans put out of business.
    5) because those that have major guide/wildlife violations in recent times dont get spanked hard enough.
    Perhaps someone else who attended will comment to further inform the four or five guides who read this forum………………………………dennis

Dennis,

I can't thank you enough for going to this meeting and informing us about it.

FYI, just tried the DNR site and it's down <grin>.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/gcp/

There is a good chance that DNR will give an update at the BGCSB meeting March 15-17, 2011 held at the UAF Wood Center.

Default New Revised Timeline - Earliest Implementation 2014

http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/gcp/docume...ine_020811.pdf

First, I'm highly skeptical about DNR getting a qualified "offeror" to develop the new contract.

Secondly, as I and others have said all along, yes we have problems with unlimited # of guides, but why continue to wait to curb the abuses going on in so many areas where there has always been one simple fix that the BOG could institute NOW?

That "fix" is to do as every other state has done and limit nonresident allocations where we have problems, particularly with sheep.

The arguments so far presented by APHA that we should not do that because of loss of nonresident revenues (via licenses/tags) are completely bogus. Why? Think about it. Read what this program is supposed to do. It is supposed to solve the problems of unlimited guides, crowding, some guides overharvesting one area and moving on etc. How can that happen without it also meaning a decrease in nonresident guided hunters, and thus a decrease in revenues?

It can't.

So all the argument really is...is about the numbers, what kind of decrease, how much. Solve the darn problem now, go to 10-15% nonresident allocation of sheep, make sheep all draw only for nonresidents. Start there NOW, right NOW, all we are doing going this route is letting more areas get screwed over, making more resident draw hunts more likely for sheep, basically allowing unlimited #s of guides (and clients in general season areas) to go full bore full steam ahead because the mindset is "YOU BETTER GET ALL YOU CAN RIGHT NOW BEFORE THINGS CHANGE!"

Meanwhile, residents are getting screwed over, we are supposed to have a clear resident preference to the state's wildlife. When nonresidents take 40% of the sheep, I say that is a problem. Raise both res and nonres fees, let Alaskans pick up the slack, I'm willing to buy a sheep tag and so are most Alaskan sheep hunters. The revenue argument is completely bogus!

We don't even know if the legislature is going to fund this DNR program and allocate more funds to it.

The time has come to fix the problems now, the longer we wait the worse things get. There has always been a much simpler fix, everyone knows it who's involved, but because the guide "industry" has so much power and clout we continue to get screwed. Pshaw.

For those guide-outfitters who may wish to keep informed, that may desire to remain as contracting guide outfitters operating on State Of Alaska DNR land....
    It is time to start keeping an eye on the following DNR website.

*Note that on 3/08/2011 DNR plans on awarding a contract to some lucky business to continue "freaking progress" on the DNR Guide Concession Abortion Plan.

**Note that on the DNR revised GCP timeline there is an additional COMMENT PERIOD SCHEDULED currently scheduled for June 2011 through August 2011.

Speak now (THEN) or forever.....
    or go out and purchase a lunch box....1/01/2014

http://www.dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/gcp/

Revised GCP Timeline 2‐7‐11
    1‐28‐2011 – RFP on the street
    2‐9‐2011 – Pre‐Proposal Conference
    2‐22‐2011 – RFP bids due
    *3‐8‐2011 – Contract issued
    2‐2010 thru 6‐2011 – Draft and finalize Proposed Administrative Decision *
    **6‐2011 – Proposed Administrative decision done, public notice and comment period begins
    **8‐2011 – Comment period closes
    8‐2011 thru 10‐1‐2011 – Comment review and issue response summary
    10‐2‐2011 thru 11‐14‐2011 ‐ Draft and finalize Final Administ
    11‐15‐2011 – Final Administrative Decision issued
    2012 ‐ Program development, forms creation and review, Regulations development
    1‐1‐2013 ‐ Prospectus put on the street
    4‐1‐2013 ‐ Prospectus bids submitted to DNR
    7‐1‐2013 ‐ Notification of Areas, Contract sent for review and signature, payment…
    1‐1‐2014 ‐ Concession areas effective
    All dates following the 3‐8‐2011 RFP contract issued date may change based on a number of factors involving the public process for DNR’s Guide Concession Program

...next Big Game Commercial Services Board meeting is, i believe, scheduled to be in Fairbanks on March 15-17, 2011

dennis

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    For those guide-outfitters who may wish to keep informed, that may desire to remain as contracting guide outfitters operating on State Of Alaska DNR land....
    It is time to start keeping an eye on the following DNR website.

*Note that on 3/08/2011 DNR plans on awarding a contract to some lucky business to continue "freaking progress" on the DNR Guide Concession Abortion Plan.

**Note that on the DNR revised GCP timeline there is an additional COMMENT PERIOD SCHEDULED currently scheduled for June 2011 through August 2011.

Speak now (THEN) or forever.....
    or go out and purchase a lunch box....1/01/2014

http://www.dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/gcp/

Revised GCP Timeline 2‐7‐11
    1‐28‐2011 – RFP on the street
    2‐9‐2011 – Pre‐Proposal Conference
    2‐22‐2011 – RFP bids due
    *3‐8‐2011 – Contract issued
    2‐2010 thru 6‐2011 – Draft and finalize Proposed Administrative Decision *
    **6‐2011 – Proposed Administrative decision done, public notice and comment period begins
    **8‐2011 – Comment period closes
    8‐2011 thru 10‐1‐2011 – Comment review and issue response summary
    10‐2‐2011 thru 11‐14‐2011 ‐ Draft and finalize Final Administ
    11‐15‐2011 – Final Administrative Decision issued
    2012 ‐ Program development, forms creation and review, Regulations development
    1‐1‐2013 ‐ Prospectus put on the street
    4‐1‐2013 ‐ Prospectus bids submitted to DNR
    7‐1‐2013 ‐ Notification of Areas, Contract sent for review and signature, payment…
    1‐1‐2014 ‐ Concession areas effective
    All dates following the 3‐8‐2011 RFP contract issued date may change based on a number of factors involving the public process for DNR’s Guide Concession Program

...next Big Game Commercial Services Board meeting is, i believe, scheduled to be in Fairbanks on March 15-17, 2011

dennis
    Is anyone here going to attend the meeting in Fairbanks?
    Karma is like a rubber band; it can only stretch so far before it comes back and smacks you in the face.

any word on what happened in the fairbanks meeting?
    just another deadline from DNR to get this ball rolling...or snowballing...
    contract it out cause they can't do it themselves....
    Drawing for sheep shoulda happened the year after the 14A went drawing...whole state should be draw. just another way to put guides outa business i suppose. not in the capacity as the GCP.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Looks like they, DNR, awarded the contract on the guide concession program to a company called Arcadis…the contractor would not create draft regulatory language....DNR promised me thwre would be new, additonal extensive public meetings.
    I don’t know anything about ARCADIA yet… any of you?

I assume, you all, like me, are going to get very busy very soon writing letters.
    Any thoughts from any of the outfitter/guides on this forum?
    dennis

I work occasionally with Arcadis. They do environmental and GIS consulting. An interesting choice.

Yk

is arcadis an alaskan company or outa state?
    i'm not real keen on seeing my livelyhood get dropped off to the first guy who'll fork out the coin to try a program no one really likes...i see this getting ugly soon.
    Master guide 212

...some confusion....Arcadis vs Arcadia....

Arcadis....not AK
    Arcadia....king Salmon and Anchorage addresses

The notice of Intent To Release contract indicates Arcadis

man oh man i sure hope thats a typo!!!
    Master guide 212

Arcadis started consolidating (buying) other mid sized consulting firms a few years ago during a global expansion push. 20 years in environmental consulting I had not heard of them until April 2010. I went to a week long school in the States where everyone in the class knew of them.

They do have an office down town in Anchorage, probably just to have a place holder for the corporate map.

The environmental consulting business has been at the fore front of the public review and comment process these last 20 years. If I wanted to hire someone to run a large, potentially emmotionally charged public meeting process for a subject that may have significant economic impact to people and business I would want someone that knows what they are doing. From my personal prespective there are few AK based firms that have that experience. AND what Alaska based firm is going to want to put a metaphorical target on their back if things don't go well? Policy will be developed from this process, and each time I have known an Alaskan leading a policy change they have been pilloried if they don't give in to all demands from all directions. Everyone can't get Everything.

It would be interesting to see who else submitted an RFP.

The Arcadis office in Anchorage is more than a placeholder, although I wouldn't call it huge. Not sure how many people they have there, but I've worked with half a dozen of them. Mostly the guys/gals I've worked with seem to do environmental permitting type studies, i.e. raptor counts, vegetation surveys, wildlife surveys, project environmental oversight, etc. Typical of most environmental firms they are very risk-adverse, so I wouldn't expect anything groundbreaking from them. Like I said, interesting choice.

Yk

Arcadis is a huge company and has AK staff and has done a lot of work with the state of Alaska already on various projects. So it's not surprising to me they were chosen, but this does seem a bit bush league for them compared to the other projects they've done for DNR. Wonder what the final price tag will be, and if we'll ever know?? <grin>