Thread: bore lapping on the cheap

Default bore lapping on the cheap

with my new rifles i always use a barrel break-in proceedure that includes two sessions with jb paste. this product will lap a clean bore and is a great help on stubborn fouling with used guns.

for my bolt and leverguns i work the bolt and lugs with jb and cycle the action for a time. this results in a better mating of the parts ( as evidenced by smooth shine ) and a slick action.

clean up is easy with any solvent.

i learned this proceedure from boots obermeyer while in sniper school, and it has been a help with new AND used rifles.
    happy trails.
    jh

I've just J-B for years - I still have a glass jar of the orginal packaging. It is great stuff to be sure.

Pick up one of the inexpensive ProVision borescopes so you can check out the inside of the bore as well as the action as you "slick" it up with J-B. Now that I have mine I'm going to try J-B on a few bores that are fouled and watch the results. Wish I could post before and after pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    with my new rifles i always use a barrel break-in proceedure that includes two sessions with jb paste. this product will lap a clean bore and is a great help on stubborn fouling with used guns.

for my bolt and leverguns i work the bolt and lugs with jb and cycle the action for a time. this results in a better mating of the parts ( as evidenced by smooth shine ) and a slick action.

clean up is easy with any solvent.

i learned this proceedure from boots obermeyer while in sniper school, and it has been a help with new AND used rifles.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

that would be interesting to "bore scope" your rifle before and after a jb paste treatment. i have noted a change in bore fouling which to my mind is a great indicator of a smooth bore. accuracy that is maintained over extended shooting also is the norm.

great stuff, cheap, and only requiring a little shopwork to achieve the accuracy potential of your rifle!
    happy trails.
    jh