Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Riverboat Gathering...

Default Spring Riverboat Gathering...

Recent chatter has indicated that there is indeed an interest by some folks to get this planned and make it happen...

My idea is simple....get some boats together, BBQ, and enjoy the day running the river....I think I have Burgers/hot dogs/snacks lined up for a decent group...

All we need to do is decide on a date/location that works for most....

The only date that has been suggested so far is on the weekend of May 28th...
    The locations that have been suggested are Susitna Landing and Talkeetna...

The May 28th weekend is Memorial weekend, some might have plans to be out of town already....

Susitna Landing and Talkeetna would make it a bit closer for any FBX folks wanting to come down...

What are your thoughts/suggestions/preferences as far as date/location?....What kind of river running are you interested in doing? Running up the clear water until it gets too shallow?...or an afternoon cruise on the Su/Talkeetna?

What would you want to get out of the day? just burgers/beverages and conversation? ....or are you someone interested in purchasing a boat and want to check out a few different models before buying?

So throw your ideas into the hat and hopefully we can come up with a plan that can accommodate most...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    [...] What would you want to get out of the day? just burgers/beverages and conversation? ....or are you someone interested in purchasing a boat and want to check out a few different models before buying?
    Burgers and beverages with friends and new acquaintances is always a good time.. then again we do things bigger in Alaska so if there's interest we could always hold...

1) A meet-and-greet with and the ability to compare different boats in action (e.g. noise, handling, hole-shot, etc.) under friendly terms - without all that dealer fluff.

2) Maybe an agility and/or speed and/or weight test on the river with orange cones and markers to finally compare apples to apples instead of relying on dealer conducted weight tests in lakes, etc.

3) An instruction seminar on how to do 180's in the middle of the river.

4) Oh.. and of course, no get-together would be complete without a boat ramp in a deeper part of the river.
    Well.. the boat ramp may be a little excessive.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

I think Ill be down for the 28th...Ill ask the boss in the morning...
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

I think this would be a great time to get out and meet more forum members. I'm up for any time after the water starts flowing again.

Most any weekend is good for me first and most important thing to me is lets make a friendly family time. Lets have fun testing each boat I think the Susitna Lanind because nice out house for wifes and a good play area for the kids. I would like to learn just how to run the shallow stuff, not bad it now but lord knows I could learn more. Everyone on here has something they know how to do better than some one else. I think this is going to be a great get togather and everyone will walk away a better jet boater. Dont mind comparing boats so people who are interested in buying can see which one they like better. T thanks for starting to put this togather. Just a thought about doing it Memorial Day weekend there will be alot of people maybe the weekend before?

....or are you someone interested in purchasing a boat and want to check out a few different models before buying?
    I will be one of the folks in the above category. I will be ordering this coming fall and still stuck between two manufactures. Name the time/date/place, the wife and I will be there.
    Sounds like a great time, spring of 2012 I will have a boat for the 2nd Annual get togetherÖ
    Mike

Thumbs up Im in

I'm in for the weekend of the 28th. Where ever you guys would like but I vote for the Talkeetna. All i know is when I drive over the Susitna it looks big and boring, kind of like the Tanana. But Iím sure there's some good side sloughs you guys know about. Is the Talkeetna a clear river?

I only have 1 week off in May due to a TAR at work, so the weekend of the 28th works best for me, otherwise....end of June or last week in April/first weekend in May...

I'm very interested. I have a 22' Thunder Jet and will run a little skinny, but not as skinny as some. Very interested in meeting forum members and learning more about jet boating and new rivers. Any date will work for me with a little notice and any river is fine (if my boat will run it) as I have only been on the Talkeentna. Would be glad to help out with supplies.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Default You bet

Absolutely, I'm in. I much prefer clear water, and have to agree with Fozzy on the Su, but also this thing has a potential to get bigger than any of us may realize so that may drive the location as well. I'll have to agree with Skybolt about the holiday weekend and the crowds, we'll be a crowd in and of ourselves. That said, at the risk of guys and their families not being able to be there except for that weekend, we'll have a good time no matter what. It'll be better than any Boat Show you ever went to!

Quote Originally Posted by f0zzy2 View Post
    I'm in for the weekend of the 28th. Where ever you guys would like but I vote for the Talkeetna. All i know is when I drive over the Susitna it looks big and boring, kind of like the Tanana. But Iím sure there's some good side sloughs you guys know about. Is the Talkeetna a clear river?
    Actually the area around Susitna Landing is fairly braided. It'd be quite an accomplishment to run from there to the bridge you mention, at least I've never done it and every time I've suggested we do it a lot of people change the subject to a different destination....

If we do a bit of early exploring we ought to be able to come up with some cool routes so we could compare the different boats on similar water conditions which in my mind will give a guy a much better idea what type suits him, a banzai, see who gets the farthest up type of deal has so much more to do with the drivers skill, familiarity with his boat, and luck than it really does with the boat (IMHO) But, there would certainly be that opportunity there as well for the more brave of heart. Also, the run downriver to the Deshka could yeild some decent King fishing that time of the spring as well for the "fish minded" crowd.... Of course, you'd want to bring more gas if that was your destination, but the parking/camping/launch fees as well as just the nice atmosphere at Susitna Landing makes it a far better option in my estimation than the Deshka Landing for this purpose. Not sure how the Memorial Day weekend thing will work out or not... its not a factor for me, but I know a lot of families plan some big trips to the cabins and such for then, certainly we dont have to schedule around my work, I'll still provide some beverages for TJM to being anyway.

One thought is that earlier in May or even April can make for some challenging running for some of the less aggressive drivers out there, and even for the more aggressive for that matter. I think when getting a large group tegether like this, having something easier available to start allows for more participation, the guys who want to push it can always find someplace to get their yayas out.

FWIW, I could make a June 25/26 date as well, if thatd work any better?

Quote Originally Posted by OzAK View Post
    Absolutely, I'm in. I much prefer clear water, and have to agree with Fozzy on the Su, but also this thing has a potential to get bigger than any of us may realize so that may drive the location as well. I'll have to agree with Skybolt about the holiday weekend and the crowds, we'll be a crowd in and of ourselves. That said, at the risk of guys and their families not being able to be there except for that weekend, we'll have a good time no matter what. It'll be better than any Boat Show you ever went to!
    Unfortunately theres not much clear water arund here to choose from, but I do have a "super-secret" spot in mind for the bold of heart... and it lies up in the vicinity of where we're talking about...

One thought is that the Susitna landing is not so heavily used as the Talkeetna and Deshka... they will both be a zoo on memorial weekend for a fact. We probably have better odds of finding adjacent campspots for some inter-family barbequing and socializing there than anywhere else around here on that weekend.

I'm also off the last weekend in April and the first weekend in May if that would be better for c-bolt or any other slopers. It gets the holiday thing out of the way and gives us northerners a chance at an early run because our out ice will not have gone out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by f0zzy2 View Post
    I'm also off the last weekend in April and the first weekend in May if that would be better for c-bolt or any other slopers. It gets the holiday thing out of the way and gives us northerners a chance at an early run because our out ice will not have gone out yet.
    I'm home april 30/may1 and may 7/8 as well, might be a bit early for running at susitna landing though. I'd hate to get anyone in trouble with ice floes coming down or due to really shallow running. Talkeetna might be a safer bet as we'd be able to at least go up the Talkeetna if the Sue is breaking up actively then?

Would love to meet and greet with you guys and bring the IBC I am picking up in April for a work out. I can do any day but Saturdays as operating my booth at the Anchorage Market steals every Saturday from me from mid May until the 1st of Sept.
    Tennessee

If I get a vote, I'd go with Susitna. I have never launched there, but checked it out last year just after king season and it is a very nice area/campground. Any dates are fine because it is still early, we always leave town on Memorial Day weekend anyway, so its perfect for us. T-thanks for getting this going. hope to meet face to face with all you guys!

It really is a nice campground isnt it? Its also not a very heavily used campground so there ought to be plenty of room for us all even on a busy weekend like the 28th. I'm just worried if we try to go prior to memorial weekend if the water might be too low, or there be issues with ice floes from upriver letting loose. I know it'll be fine on the 28th, but just dont know how much sooner than that a guy could count on ice free running at reasonable water levels.

There may be a way to get a special use permit, or make reservations for the entire group if plans get finalized a few months before the meet-up. I know Susitna isnt run like a normal state park site, but maybe with enuf incentive this would be possible???

there is plenty of water by mid may and no worries about ice I run the river alot during that time for bear baiting

I am down for April 30/May 1, 28/29, June 25/26 as well.

I'm up for early/late/Memorial Day, pretty much whenever Chris is...I think we are on the same schedule give or take a day.

I still vote for Memorial Day weekend. It would be a great opportunity to honor those Vet's that didn't return from war by enjoying the country they fought for.

I cant wait to get stuck!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast