Thread: Bomb shelter or Kodiak Condo ?

Default Bomb shelter or Kodiak Condo ?

For many years I have heard and read opinions about the Bomb shelter but just this last year looked up the Kodiak Condo version. I have not been in the store to see. I thought to perhaps ask if any of you have bought one and what your 2 cents are on that model. The Bomb shelter is well known but have not read any reviews on the Condo. It was told to me that the Condo was beefier, 9'6" x 9'6" and a center height of 68 inches comes in about 40 lbs I think. I'm looking for a base camp tent. The price is what I expect for a quality rig and the local purchase gets the nod from me all things being equal. I just don't know about how they perform in our field tests. Don't think Barney's sell junk but also like the forum opinions before spending a chunk of change. Thanks. Jeff

I have a kodiac condo and I'm very happy with purchase. Used it out of dillingham in 14 days of rain, stayed dry. 10 days out of Kota, same results. Many weekend trips with the family. I can get me, mom, daughter and the dog in it. I will put a mr. Heater in it, really warms it up and you can dry your clothes.

My friend used one down on the peninsula, brown bear hunting. He said he was in 60mph winds and it did fine.

Is it the same basic desgin of the bomb shelter or different? Does anyone have a photo?

The bomb shelters are four sided, the condo is six sided. Sorry I dont know how to post pics

How do you heat these tents up? Can you dry gear out with just a buddy heater?

I just purchased the Kodiak Condo from Barney's. I don't have any pictures, but they have a smoking deal going on right now. It is a bit larger than the 8x8 bombshelter & it's six sided, which should help deflect wind. Supposedly, they have several bombshelters on backorder, but no telling when they will get them in. I don't think you can go wrong with either the bombshelter or condo as a basecamp tent properly staked & tied out, but the condo does offer a bit more room for gear. For what its worth, I rarely see a used bombshelter/condo or AO tent for sale or a bad review for that matter. Therefore, I can only assume people are satisfied with these tents.
    "What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

You can definitely dry gear with a mr heater.

I have a 10x10 Bomb Shelter and it is a great tent. That being said. It has a lot of sail area to catch wind and so above 60 mph it is a little dicey. The 8x8 being smaller is more rigid and handles wind much better. My AO Artika (essentially the same design as the Bomb Shelter) is a little larger but has 6 sides and handles the wind much better. With 40 mph gusts this winter it has felt rock solid in comparison. If I was to buy a new Bomb Shelter I would go with a 6 sided design because of the 4-5 foot distance between poles.

Well, I have looked at all the designs fitting of winter internet surfing. I am heading into town today and will hit up Barney's and look at it with money in hand. Now after base camp tent the Nalo GT4 is my next tent. Thanks to all of you for your input. I really do appreciate it. Jeff

If you end up buying one could you post a picture please!!!!!!!!!! thanks