Thread: Sleeping pad condensation

Default Sleeping pad condensation

Just wondered if any of you ever experienced condensation between your sleeping bag and pad. I always used a therma rest pad and never really had this problem. Recently I switched to a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pad. I love the pad as it is so much more comfortable than the Therma rest, but in the morning, the underside of my bag and the top of my pad is soaked. Any advice on how to remedy this? Thanks.

I have an insulated Air Core as well. I can't say as I've had condensaton between the bag and pad but do get it on the outside of my bag if I'm damp when I crawl in or overheat and sweat.

It sounds to me like your bag is doing what it should and is pushing body moisture out. I wouldn't sweat it....

Thanks Snyd. I usually go to sleep with wet/damp socks and by morning they're dry. I guess that explains where the moisture is coming from. Next time I'll try sleeping in dry socks and see if I have the same issue.

Well, I had that problem big time sleeping on a glacier. Were you on pretty cold ground? I put everything I had with me under my ridgerest to minimize the condensation to no avail. And you are supposed to used closed cell foam on cold ground, but it didnt work for me. Yours is an insulated air core which I was going to try next. Not now. I will stick with my z rest or my air mat and just try to stay off the cold ground. I do now have a tiny bivy sack in case of condensation problems which I will use in emergency situations. Believe it or not some theories are that you should put the bivy sack inside of the sleeping bag so there is no source of moisture to the bag! If you want to know the definition of misery its spending three nights shivering in your soaked down bag.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

I've had the condensation develop on my z-rest. It didn't happen all the time but when it did, it was bad enough to get my sleeping bag wet in spots. I think that the root of the problem had something to do with a poorly vented tent in really damp rainy weather set up on wet ground. On previous trips where conditions were better condensation didn't build up in the tent the pad also didn't develop condensation. I've recently switched to a Thermarest Neoair and have been very pleased so far. By far and away the most comfortable pad I've used yet and it is light too. No condensation on it the last time that it was used under the same conditions as the z-rest.

It seems to happen whether I am sleeping on the ground or on a cot. When we spiked, we slept on the ground; when we were at base camp, we slept on cots. We were in the Brooks and it rained at some point every day. Funny thing is, the guide used a Wiggy's bag and a NEO air pad and never had one bit of condensation. I just don't understand it. BTW, my bag was a Marmot.