Thread: Outboard Motor Question

Default Outboard Motor Question

I was talking to a salesman at the boat show today about my 40+ yr.old Harvey Pacific Bar Dory. When it was manufactured, 50-70 hp was the recommended power. He said back then the hp rating was taken from the power head and that today motors hp is assessed at the prop. He also said that a 70hp from the 1970's would be very similar to a modern 50hp. Does this make sense? I'd appreciate some opinions.

Can`t tell you much concerning where the hp was metered from but I can say, the boats rating for it`s time was also based on weight and a 70hp motor today (4-stroke) outweighs a 2-stroke version by a large margin. I really believe a 2-stroke 70 with everything equal will outperform a 4-stroke in the power department but will lag in the noise and economy departments.

My .02

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Id still put a 70hp on it. THe new 4strokes are real weak out of the hole. Gotta love that 2stroke torque.

Oz

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyoz View Post
    Id still put a 70hp on it. THe new 4strokes are real weak out of the hole. Gotta love that 2stroke torque.

Oz
    Actually, I was leaning towards a two stroke Tohatsu 50 tldi. They are 205 lbs. They did away with the md70...it's now md75 and it weighs 337 lbs. A 50 and a 9.8 kicker would weigh less than the 75 by itself and cost less, too. That is why I was hoping his performance assertions were basically correct. At the same time, although this isn't a supposed to be a speed demon in the first place, I'd really be bummed to be woefully underpowered and still be out the dough.

The salesman was right on the rating, but off on the amount of difference. Powerhead to propshaft difference is about 10-15%. Like AK2AZ said, weight is a real factor with the 4 strokes. Old boats were not necessarily engineered to handle the weight of today's four stroke outboards. With that said, if you think your transom is up to the task I would check out the new Yamaha 70 HP four stroke. It's the lightest motor in the class and is only around 20 lbs. heavier than there 50 HP.

I'll check out that yami 70, shanonamous. The new transom is beefed up. Needless to say, I had some serious wishful thinking going on... for a little while, anyway. Thanks to all for the clarification and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    I'll check out that yami 70, shanonamous. The new transom is beefed up. Needless to say, I had some serious wishful thinking going on... for a little while, anyway. Thanks to all for the clarification and advice.
    I doubt that any of the motors you are considering will damage the transom. I would bet the low hp rating was more because a dory hull really does best going rather slow. Over a certain speed (depends on many variables to say exactly what that is), they are difficult to control. Even C-Dory boats, which are a modified design and are not a true dory hull, start to become a handful to control with some light chop, wind, and wake at above 28-30 or so mph. I personally really like the old Harvey Dory boats - they are unique and very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    I doubt that any of the motors you are considering will damage the transom. I would bet the low hp rating was more because a dory hull really does best going rather slow. Over a certain speed (depends on many variables to say exactly what that is), they are difficult to control. Even C-Dory boats, which are a modified design and are not a true dory hull, start to become a handful to control with some light chop, wind, and wake at above 28-30 or so mph. I personally really like the old Harvey Dory boats - they are unique and very cool.
    I'd be a happy camper with 18-20kt cruise in good water. I had a spinal injury 2 weeks after I bought the HD in Dec. 08, so I will have to plan on being a very fair weather sailer. The transom, interior side walls, floor and 4 inches of foam under the floor were completely waterlogged. I tore every bit of wood out of it and at least got a new floor and flotation underneath before it got too cold last fall. Wish I could figure out how to post pics but I'm a computer dunce. There's an outfit in Portland advertising limited production of the same model I have on craigslist for 10K. I don't know if they bought Harvey's molds or measured an example and made their own. I've heard many pros and cons about the Harveys...I sure like the lines of the boat.

I had a Harvey Dory about 20 years ago. My Dad bought if for me and gave it to me. It had an orange cabin and white hull, cool boat. I had to cut the floor out of mine and had Plaschem replace the floor. I thought I was good. Then I started drilling holes to mount stuff on the transom and water poured out..... I sold it. Cool boat. It had twin 35's on it and would go fine on one motor. I bet you would be good with a 4 stroke 50, but if you have replaced the transom wood you could hang a bigger motor and know you had enough. I can post the pics for you, send them to me at Rathert @ GCI dot net.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I had a Harvey Dory about 20 years ago. My Dad bought if for me and gave it to me. It had an orange cabin and white hull, cool boat. I had to cut the floor out of mine and had Plaschem replace the floor. I thought I was good. Then I started drilling holes to mount stuff on the transom and water poured out..... I sold it. Cool boat. It had twin 35's on it and would go fine on one motor. I bet you would be good with a 4 stroke 50, but if you have replaced the transom wood you could hang a bigger motor and know you had enough. I can post the pics for you, send them to me at Rathert @ GCI dot net.
    The transom is 2 layers of 3/4 fir ply with a layer of 12 oz sandwiched between them and tied in with 1700 biax across the hull bottom and sides. I do have a '98 Johnson 50 2 stroke. Maybe I should just try that for a season to see how it works then upgrade if need be. Short term, that takes thousands out of the equation. Need newer technology for Kenai, Skilak lakes but I'd be happy bobbing around PWS for now. I sent you some pics...thanks for offering to post a few!

Sounds like a plenty strong transom for a 200# engine. As far as sizing engines, figure 40#/hp max gross weight, so a 50hp is good for up to 2000# of boat, engine, fuel, passangers and gear.