Thread: pattern suggestions for a new tyier

Default pattern suggestions for a new tyier

I am fairly new to tying and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for patterns that are effective, and that i can learn to tie and practice some of the skills associated with tying
    so far i have tied
    dolly lamas
    flesh flies
    articulated flesh
    wolly buggers
    polar shrimp
    battle creek
    glo bugs
    egg sucking leeches
    articulated leeches

any suggestions are greatly appreciated

try some stone flies, copper johns, thundercreeks, prince nymphs. all in different sizes and colors.

I would start with egg sucking leeches, flesh flies, woolly buggers. Perfect those then move on to articulated.

Try Articulating Zonker Minnows. They work really well.

Try to spin up some dries... start with Elk Hair Caddis
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Very good subject and all great ideas and suggestions. Couple of thoughts you might consider is what exactly are you trying to achieve with your tying. There are many steps to this addiction :-) It is very similar to fly fishing and there are steps in the process and expenses. If I had to start all over again i.e 32 years ago and I would have had information such as what is available today I would have loved for someone to tell me stay with a couple of basic patterns and make them perfect. Instead which was not a bad thing I was told you will never create a new fly just a modification of something someone already has thought of.

So sorry for rambling to answer your question basic attractors such as anything Bugger which includes the ESL make them correctly some with lead, some with beads some without etc... Once you have them looking like those in the Catalogs move on to another attractor pattern then worry about matching the hatch.

This rule of them will make you better tyer.

When I teach tying heres the progression I use which seems to work well

•Basic Techniques, starting and finishing the fly, basic wrapping, basic tools, neatness
    -Bunny Fly
    -Illiamna Pinkie
    •Working with Hackle
    -Wooly Bugger
    -ESL
    •Working With Hair
    -Clouser Minnow
    -Thunder Creek
    (start with fis-hair work up to bucktail)
    •Getting Little
    -GRHE Nymph
    -PT Nymph
    •Putting it all together
    -Flash Fly
    -Green Butt Skunk
    -Franks Fly
    -Elk Hair Caddis
    -Parachute Adams

What I don't teach often:
    •Advanced Techniques
    -Deer Hair Spinning (dalhberge diver)
    -Feather Wings (Black Ghost)
    -Articulated flies
    -Zonkers
    -Dry Fly Wings
    Really Advanced Techniques
    -Quill Wings
    -Salmon Flies
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by LItoAK View Post
    I would start with egg sucking leeches, flesh flies, woolly buggers. Perfect those then move on to articulated.
    all those are great for beginners, i just started tying myself and i notice that practicing on just a couple of different flies to start instead of overwelming yourself with too many..tie on man!!

A clouser is a really good fly to start with. Simple steps, very few materials required, and the dang thing catches fish.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Spinning hair is really not all that hard - I think it's way easier than trying to tie a glo bug for instance. Get some hair and some fairly stout thread and just start messing around with it (not any specific pattern). Won't take you long to figure out - and really adds to the diversity of your skills and opens up some sweet patterns.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Great post to date.

I almost feel like I am chasing rabbits down holes and pimping the thread sorry up front. If you want to understand some of the more basic principles of the Sport / Hobby there is a ton of material to sort through. Dick Stewart has been around for like a million years not a bad thing and has written a number of books concerning fly tying. In one of his Basic skills books back in the late 80's early 90's I believe he has some great photos breaking down the hook into several catagories. No he is not the first nor will he likley be the last but the photos and forumulas are sport on and will assist you in make sound choices.

I always tell students there is no wrong way to make a fly just better and more productive ways to accomplish the task. Learning the basic concepts of proportion i.e. know exactly how much material, how long of tail, how much weight etc.. is the key to your proficientcy.

Being blessed with a group of tiers in your area with a weekly gathering and a couple of brew-ha-ha's is not a bad thing.

Come May, I'd want at least one smolt pattern in my box.
    Some excellent recent samples in this thread - post#60: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...tiers.../page3
    Good luck!