Thread: crossbows

Default crossbows

Not sure if this is the right place but.....do to a medical issue, my wife can no longer use her bow. More than likely, she wont be able to handle recoil either, so most rifles are out.

I dont know crap about crossbows, is there anybody here that can school me on them? I will be setting the bolt for her but she wants to do the shooting. She mentioned a crossbow today and if it keeps her interested in hunting.....

thanks

I bought one two years ago and have killed two blacktails with it. Mine has a scope and is very accurate out to at least 55 yards (that's the lowest reticle cross hair). It doesn't take much practice to shoot it well. It shoots a hunting broad head at about 400fps. But don't expect it to reach out farther than a compound bow, which is a common misconception. Of course some archery hunters will look down their nose at you, but I don't really care.

Keep in mind, up here, they can not be used in archery hunts. For any general season hunt, you can, but not archery only hunts.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

I believe there are special permits for folks with medical issues that allow crossbows to be used in archery only areas and they are legal to use in rifle hunt seasons. Check with Fish and Game to make sure she qualifies. I was on the haul road in August last year camped beside a party that had one fellow that could barely use a crossbow. I was lucky enough to watch him take a caribou with his set up. I believe he could legally shoot even from the road and maybe even from a vehicle. Check with Fish & Game as to what is legal.

Of course you need to check the regs I got some good answers on this thread http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...light=crossbow I think that they perform pretty much like a bow as far as ranges to shoot and the stopping power on animals. In looking at catalogs I notice that there seems to be two groups of costs for the bows and I do not know what the difference is. I think that it is potentially a good option for those who have issues that prevent using a regular bow.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Thanks guys,

She's not worried about archery only hunts, she just wants to shoot a blackie. Been searching the net for xbows and there are some nice ones out there, anybody in the anc/valley area who lets you try one out?

Oh and I know a crossbow is considered a blacksheep but hey, when options are low, you do what you have to.

OK, I went down to Fish and Game because a friend has a similar problem, a shoulder problem that prevents him from drawing a bow, compound or other. Anyway there is a form you fill out and take to a medical professional to fill out the rest. Send it in and they make a determination of the paperwork etc. and you can then use a crossbow for archery only hunts.
    If medical problems llimit you to a crossbow, fine, use it. Good luck getting a blackie!!!!

Stop in at Bear paw out in Wasilla, Judy is carrying a few different crossbows now that you can lay your hands on and shoot.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thanks bill for the info. Her surgeon isnt to optimistic of her even going back in the field, but my wife is stubborn. She knows a bow is out, more than likely a rifle (not sure yet, have to see after the next round of surgeries). I'm not keen on a crossbow myself, but like I said, she brought it up and if it keeps her interested......

Thanks Rob, were gonna have to head up and check them out before I drop 600+ on a xbow.

Cross bows are very effective which is why they don't want you using them in normal bow season/areas. I would think you could get performance similar to the bow she was shooting without spending $600. I have seen a few used ones around for what seems to be pretty good prices. They are legal for anyone to use on hunts where firearms are legal. Bear baiting would be ideal. May have to rig up a block and tackle to get her up a tree. Sounds like you have a great partner and a little extra effort would be worth it. Best of luck.