Thread: Stock size mud lites worth it?

Default Stock size mud lites worth it?

Is there anyone that is running stock size mud lites on their atv? And if so were the gains worth it?
    Let me explain my situation. I am picking up a new big boss 6x6 800 in the next few weeks and am looking at tire choices.
    I want to make it as capable in the mud as possible without the tires sticking out any further than stock to keep the mud off of me as much as possible.

I also dont want to extend the fender flares and if I go any wider than stock I am going to have issues in my enclosed trailer with my other atv beside it.

So should I go with the mud lites or just stick with the stock tires?
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

I have stock sized or darn close set of mud lites that came on my AC 700. They definitely are an improvement but I would have gone up a size and a couple inches wider if I had purchased the tires myself.

If this is your first Big Boss you are going to be impressed with the traction and capability of this machine. My buddy has a 2010 (his third since 1994) and I have a 2011. He never put aftermarket tires on his first two but put 27" mud lites on the 2010. During moose season last year he repeatedly went thru swamps and rivers that no one else with a 4 wheeler (I have a 700 Grizzly with mud lite XTR's) could get thru with out a pull. But he has always gotten thru stuff with the 6x6's that stuck the rest of us (why I got a 6x6 now). Having driven a 6x6 with and without mud lites my experience is the mud lites really do increase traction over the standard tire used by Polaris - a lot. You could opt to try the regular tires and then go back later if your not satisified or just opt for the mud lites as part of the deal. I know you are staying with the regular size but the traction will still be the same as the 27". If the dealer prices them out at over $700 installed - find another dealer. See you beyond the swamps.

I agree, mudlights will make a noticeable improvement over stock. Congrats on the new 6 by.

Thanks for the input. I pick my machine up tues and after doing some more research on it decided to go with the 27" mud lights and worry about the mud later. I will likely try to fab up some fender flares in the future. This thing is going to be a beast!

We went with larger mud lite tires on our 05 AC. We found that we spend a lot more time in low gear, 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc didn't cut it with the larger tires...We lost a lot of speed and power when going larger. We'll be going back to the stock size when these wear out.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    We went with larger mud lite tires on our 05 AC. We lost a lot of speed and power when going with a larger tire. We'll be going back to the stock size when these wear out.
    Which AC? if it is an auto a clutch kit will get alot of that missing power back. I will go with at least 26's when I replace the rubber on my 700. That is unless i end up replacing the whole rig with a 6x6 first.

With the 800 hopefully I wont need a clutch kit for 27's, but if I loose too much low end power I will add that later. I have an arctic cat 500 trv with 26" mud lites and I lost a little power, but it was livable. Anyone else have the 800 polaris with 27" mud lites?

i don't think you'll have a prob. that thing has more power than your gonna no what to do with. i had a '06 6x6 & a '10 6x6 had mudlites on the '06. didn't put them on the '10 but i hardly used low gear unless it was really steep or just needed it. it's pretty low geared in low. your gonna like it. you may have to upgrade your axels over time to gorilla's as the gigger tires have more "bite" & can be harder on the wear parts. just my O-2

Thats what I like to hear! Can't wait to pick it up tommorow although the tires will not be in for around a month likely.

Lujon,

Its a manual 500......we won't be getting larger tires next go around. The ones on it now are 27's...it really made a difference on that machine but on our 99 Suz 500 manual with 27 inch, they don't effect it at all.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

When I put MLs on my Rancher (+1" in size) I noticed the more responsive steering more than a traction increase. If you load down the bed of the 6X6 does the steering wash out (understeer I guess is the tech term)?
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

my buddy put them on his new 6x and when I get my new one (someday) I'll be doing the same thing. I never drove it but it hauled us around two up the whole trip this year, more than 200 miles we put on. it has plenty of power to handle the bigger size tires and that suspension flat out rocks!