Thread: Legal Animals... Really?

Default Legal Animals... Really?

So me and my best friend/hunting partner have joked for years about the fact that you hunt gerbils in Alaska. I want to know who has seen a gerbil in the Alaska wilderness? I mean it's a house pet that ecsaped and made a home in the wild. So I was wondering, since we are just trying to find something to pass the time till bear season, what everyone thinks is a funny animal to have in the regs that you can hunt. Gerbils, really?
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

You'll certainly never see a drawing permit on 'em, they can flat out reproduce! Start a thread on how to differentiate between a buck and doe gerbil...

Default cavis

There are little rodents that look like gerbils or minature pikas that are called cavis. They are about 2 inches long. Much smaller than a pika. cavi.jpgYou find them in huge colonies near lakes in high sheep valleys. I think that I have a picture of them some where in my stuff. They are not voles and seem to have some simple colony or extended family structure.

You asked....

Sincerely,
    Thomas

I hear tell actor Richard Geer traps 'em live....."Gerbiling" was actually invented by Geer in Nome , during a remake shoot of a classic Pippy Longstocking movie ( Pippy hunts Walrus) where they escaped into the wild from the Gluepots bathroom early one morning, back in the 80's ...........been an open season, no limit hunt since.....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Dam stranger, Coffee just came out my nose!

There I was, in the dark. The smell wafting up from the old musty couch was familiar, and I smiled as I thought back to the previous weekend and the cabin party. Diana chose me that night. Good times with the “goddess of the hunt.”

There I was in the dark on the couch again, but this time I drew the short straw. I was the chosen one tonight. I had the duty to signal when it was time, time to kill.

The other five guys on the couch to my right were all waiting for me to do my task. And no small task was it. I had to listen hard for the sound of their arrival, for they are soft footed and use the old mossy debris along the path to their advantage. Listen hard too long and you become deaf.

That’s when the first noise will surprise you, rushing into your night deafness to crash into your mind.

“Don’t turn on the light just yet Pilgrim,” says the voice of Bear Claw Chris Lapp out of the bowels of my mind.

So I wait. My thumb is resting on the toggle switch of the old dry cell flood light. My fingers are holding the left can of ear muffs off the side of my head. I wait for the sound of their arrival to build. It builds to a crescendo so fast that I start to panic.

“Now?” I ask the wise old voice in my mind.

“Not yet, Pilgrim. It won’t be long now,” Bear Claw drawls out sparingly. “You got to let them get comfortable.”

Listening I can almost “see” them. One sounds larger than the others with its resounding thumps against the rotted wood. I feel a heavy weight on the toe of my left boot.

“Now might be a good time to turn on that light, Pilgrim,” Bear Claw laughed in that condescending way of his that so irritated me.

I dropped the left can of my ear muffs down and pushed the toggle switch forward.

The far wall of the cabin exploded with the light and they stopped in their tracks. Then the dying started.

The shock waves from the pistols to my right pushed in on my chest. The smell of gun powder filled my nose. The spray of smoke and flying debris filled the void between me and the far wall. As the bullets pounded the far wall the rats panicked and climbed over one another to escape the hail of lead.

The rats came for the apples, but staid for the lead

And thus we have another answer to “What did you do on Adak when you were a kid?”

Dam ray, I spit my lunch all over the place. This is going to be a great thread. Not sure I ever want to go to Adak for the night life.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AK River Rat View Post
    Dam ray, I spit my lunch all over the place. This is going to be a great thread. Not sure I ever want to go to Adak for the night life.
    he ain't lying neither... i can remember spot lighting rats at the dump... mom and dad would lay over the hood of the old international PU and have us HIT THE LIGHTS....

when we first got to ADAK we had to stay in the old Quonset housing while ours was being UN occupied... all us kids had to sleep on the top bunk at night cause of the rats... and they weren't no pet store size rat either.. these things would stand a full size cat down in a second. that movie WILLARD? that was only a few rats compared to the ADAK Dump...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I was thinking about putting a wise crack about whether a .338 would be enough for gerbils or if I should go with a .375 H&H. Maybe those calibers would be appropriate in case the coastal variety shows up.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Lived in the aleutians 12 years.... and savage double barrel .410 with a maglight duct taped to the barrel was a whole bunch of good fun in the abondonded milatary bunkers on a saturday night... Had to move up to a 22-250 and 12v spotlight to get em at the dump... Jim Beam was always a necessity....

Better be careful, ADF&G will want to make it a draw hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    he ain't lying neither... i can remember spot lighting rats at the dump... mom and dad would lay over the hood of the old international PU and have us HIT THE LIGHTS....when we first got to ADAK we had to stay in the old Quonset housing while ours was being UN occupied... all us kids had to sleep on the top bunk at night cause of the rats... and they weren't no pet store size rat either.. these things would stand a full size cat down in a second. that movie WILLARD? that was only a few rats compared to the ADAK Dump...
    I too can verify the authenticity of The Rat tails coming from Adak... I was attached to ComSta 1965-67.. the GM2 (gunners Mate 2nd class) in the "Armory" used to pass out "out dated" 22LR ammo by the brick.. you could usually get something from a cook in the galley to use for bait.. drive out to the dump in the evening twilight... place the bait, crawl back in the pickup and wait awhile... Who ever was the designated spot light operator would flip on the 12V spot, and everyone else in the party would start blasting.. As these big Norwegian Wharf Rats would be shot and bleed a little, they too became more bait... You had to be careful that two rat shooting parties didn't end up on opposite sides of the dump and end up shooting at each other....!!! People getting ready to leave would usually have a 22 or shotgun to sell to someone new just arriving.. In August of 65 I had a good night in a poker game and won a nice pile of cash.. My first expenditure was for a Mod 870 Wingmaster with a 30" barrel... unfortunately I had to buy my own 12ga ammo...