Thread: Buying new machines in the lower-48

Question Buying new machines in the lower-48

For those that have gone and done this, what where your tactics as far as finding machines and how big where the savings. How did you get the machine(s) up here and what does it usually cost to get them here. I'm asking because I am looking at 2 new machines next year.

I am fairly sure that a lot of prices are set by the manufacturers. I bought a sled this year (2011) and the base price here was the same as it was in all the snowmobile magazines and reviews. I never contacted anyone in the lower, but I am assuming the manufacturer sets its own rate on most sleds. I assume you are buying new and why not support your local economy while your at it??

My .02

My Dad has a friend in MN who owns a large Poolaris/Skidoo dealership. A few years ago some co-workers asked him what kind of deals he could get on new sleds.
    Being they were having a slow year due to low snow he was told he could get machines at $50 over dealer cost. This was my dads price being he was friends with the owner.
    Anyway after realizing it was over 3,000 miles one way just to pickup these machines they decided buying local wasn't such a bad deal afterall.
    While there probably deals to be had even if you don't personally know a dealer I would believe the cost in shipping or picking up yourself would outweigh the benefits. The only excception would be if you happen to be driving outside anyway and had the space to haul them back.
    With the current cost of gas especially in Canada I would opt for the buy local option.
    I was able to save $348 this year on my new sled just by calling around Alaska dealers.
    Alaska Mining and Diving gave me the best price and good service on my 2011 Expedition sport 600 ACE.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by gpaul99 View Post
    I am fairly sure that a lot of prices are set by the manufacturers. I bought a sled this year (2011) and the base price here was the same as it was in all the snowmobile magazines and reviews. I never contacted anyone in the lower, but I am assuming the manufacturer sets its own rate on most sleds. I assume you are buying new and why not support your local economy while your at it??

My .02
    The problem is that the AK economy is mostly OK so dealers are getting close to MSRP on sleds. That is not the case in much of the south however and there are lots of left over sleds that the dealers down there are stuck storing and in some cases paying taxes on. They want those sleds gone and will make great deals on them! They are also selling new sleds at lower prices because they have to in order to move the inventory. Most dealers of any kind buy the vehicle from the manufacturer at wholesale then sell it for retail or as close as they can get but have the option to reduce the sales price (and thus their profit margin) to move product.

Thanks for the input. I am planning a trip back down to the states. I have seen some really awesome deals on just barely used sleds from people looking to get out from under payments as well, like 2011's with under 500 miles some even less than 100.

Me and my buddies wanted to buy three Ski-Doos together this year and went to talk to the dealer in Eagle River thinking we could get a good deal if buying together. The guy wouldn't give us anything. Wanted almost $800 over the MSRP saying that it cost them $600 PER SLED just to ship it up here, which I find hard to believe. We walked out and went to AMDS where I got the deal that I wanted (still over MSRP but better) with some parts thrown in without any hassling.

Picked up a Tundra from Mining and Diving last week. Got it home to inspect it before riding and found the delaer had not set it up properly. When I finally got the service mngr to call back (two days worth of trying) she made it sound like she was doing ME a favor by making room in the shop so a "tech" could look it over and correct their mistakes. (Missing limiter starp, belt sitting 1/2 down in the sheaves when it should be above, spare belt laying in the bottom of the tub, etc...)
    Ended up fixing them at home as their service department SUCKS. I do not trust them and would also look at purchasing one outside if their was an economical way to get the sled here. I would set it up out of the box myself knowing it would be done correctly. I DO NOT TRUST our local SKI-DOO dealers, both of them.
    BK

My only concern as far as setting the machines up out of crate is do the new machines require a dealers' computer to flash them or do they come preloaded from the factory.

bkmail, I know the feeling of not trusting your local dealer. Who in the world did they have set up your machine, it sounds like an elementary school class did the set up as part of a field trip. Oh wait, then it would've been setup correctly.

Missing a limiter? How many is it supposed to have? Belt down in the sheave? Probably it was run up on a stand and stopped with the brake. Or did you drive it on the trailer there? If the belt was sitting low you'd have known it instantly. Spare belt in the tub? You got a spare belt? When I get a spare I pay for it and it gets handed to me in a bag. New sleds don't usually come with spares under the cowl. Did you pay for it? Did you ask where it was when you picked the sled up?

AKMD's service department has been great to me and I'm not a big SkiDoo fan or AKMD customer.

I decided on buying from AMDS myself this year. I would say I had a good service overall.
    I picked up my machine personally. When I did so the salesman was very through in showing me all aspects of the machine including how to adjust the suspension and everything. He showed me how to change the belt not by telling me but by actually taking it off in front of me and putting it back on.
    When he showed me where the spare belt goes I thought the strap they use to hold it in looked a little chincy. Since I had them pull me a spare belt(that I paid for) I asked him to put it on for me.
    Well wouldn't you know he broke the little strap so he got me a new one and got it on good the second time.
    Anyway when I picked up my machine I would have noticed all of those things you had problems with and it would have never made it out of their yard/shop until it was 100% fixed.
    I would definetly buy from them again.
    btw They were also $348 cheaper than Team CC for me on my sled.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmultramag View Post
    My only concern as far as setting the machines up out of crate is do the new machines require a dealers' computer to flash them or do they come preloaded from the factory.
    I believe all these new machines require some kind of computer check/calibration before they are sold at the dealer.
    I am positive you will not find a dealer who will send you a machine unassembled in the crate. Not unless you know them personally and make some sort of under the table deal anyway.
    Think about it how can they cover under warranty things they did not assemble? How do they know it was a crappy factory bolt that broke and you didn't loose that one and replace it with another from your bolt bin in your shop? Say your ski falls off doing 90 mph on the Yetna river somewhere how do you prove it was a faulty bolt and not your failure to properly torque it that wrecked your machine and your self?
    Then you want them to cover it under a warranty fix? yeah right!
    My dads friens in MN who owns a dealership made a deal at one time to send some guys in AK new machines at a discounted rate.
    He said it he originally saw it as a win win situation. They got a discount on new machines ervery year or two and he had guaranteed sales of 3-4 machines a year by these guys.
    These guys bought all the needed tools as well as the $4,000 computer deal they needed to set them up. This worked well the first few years.
    Well one year as they were being loaded on a barge in Seattle a forklift driver put a fork through one of the crates. Now he has got to explain to BRP why he has a damaged machinein a crate in Seattle when he has a dealership in MN. I am guessing he had to pay shipping to get the machine back and eat the cost.
    Somehow he got away with that one but I believe he wisely decided to abandon the idea of shipping in the crate machines to AK or elsewhere anymore.
    Just my thoughts on it but I wouldn't count on receiving an unassembled crate machine at your door anytime soon. Just too much liability. And no dealer wants to risk loosing their factory licensing.

For the most part, service sucks from ALL dealers unless you are on the "in" with them. Sad thing is, the bigger dealers have done the damage by "forcing" out the small "mom and pop dealers" who actually treated their customers the way they should be treated. Getting service sucks! One of my BIG peeves is finding a dealer that will at least work with you. I have axed most dealers off my list as when a machine breaks down and they tell me it will be a month before they can look at it, I say their service sucks! Or when a clutch blows up and they say they don't have one is stock and will have to order it and it will be late March before it gets in, THEY SUCK! Good service would be to pull a clutch off an existing machine and get your customer back on their sled! Sorry for the rant, I am not impressed with service anymore. It is a thing of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by russiarulez View Post
    it cost them $600 PER SLED just to ship it up here, which I find hard to believe.
    russia,

I think $600 per sled on shipping is on the high end. About a year ago I spoke with the shipping manager from Arctic Cat in Thief River Falls, Minn. about the feasability of hauling a load of sleds to be delivered to several dealers in Alaska. Here is how the math broke down - Arctic Cat prefers to contract with trucking companies who utilize 53 ft stepdecks (lowboy type of flatbed) as they can get 28 sleds on a single trailer. At the time, the rate was $3.20 per mile for this load Mn to Ak, call it 4000 miles from mn to Fairbanks, down to Anchorage and Homer and Seward and maybe Valdez. 4000 x $3.20/mile comes out to $12,800. Divide that by 28 sleds and it comes out to just over $450 per. This $3.20 per mile rate does fluctuated as diesel prices go up/down (actually just up/up) but it does give an idea on the shipping costs.

OTOH, if a sled manufacturer had only 20 sleds going to Alaska, they would still be paying the same $12,800, but obviously the price would now be pushing $650 per machine.

This is just one sled manufacturer, so maybe Polaris and Ski-Do have other arrangements and costs.

To answer Mr. Pids questions

"Missing a limiter? How many is it supposed to have?" It had one that was about three inches too long and the 2nd was not even there.

"Belt down in the sheave? Probably it was run up on a stand and stopped with the brake." Reading the manual it states every time a new belt is installed the clutch must be adjusted so the belt rides 2/16" higher than the clutch top. When I looked at it was about 1/4" or better below the clutch top.
    "Or did you drive it on the trailer there? If the belt was sitting low you'd have known it instantly." It was loaded on the trailer waiting when my wife picked it up at 4pm.
    "Spare belt in the tub? You got a spare belt? When I get a spare I pay for it and it gets handed to me in a bag. New sleds don't usually come with spares under the cowl. Did you pay for it? Did you ask where it was when you picked the sled up?" It was an extra charge and was in the bottom of the tub when my wife pulled in the yard with it.
    Very dissapointed in their lack of care and service when delivering a new machine. I would NEVER trust them. Ended up going through the rest of the machine making sure there was oil in the chaincase and so on.
    Thats my story!
    BK

For what it's worth, my newer SkiDoos have one limiter and it's pretty slack.

The belt height should be checked after the sled has come to rest with no resistance. Better yet lift the rear and run the track and see where the belt sits then. Frankly I judge my belts by how they work more than how they sit in the parking lot.

At least they put the belt where it wouldn't be forgotten or lost.

That you opened the cowl and inspected a machine before the initial ride is good common sense. It paid off for you. Heck, the first thing I do with a new sled is take it home and start wrenching on it. If it was setup perfectly I'd probably still fudge with it.

Enjoy your new toy.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    "Missing a limiter? How many is it supposed to have?" It had one that was about three inches too long and the 2nd was not even there.
    My 2011 Exp. sport only has one as well. I believe that is how it was designed.

"Or did you drive it on the trailer there? If the belt was sitting low you'd have known it instantly." It was loaded on the trailer waiting when my wife picked it up at 4pm.
    There is your biggest problem not picking it up yourself and inspecting it.
    I know they are open later than 4pm so at least your wife should have gotten the walk through of the machine.

"Spare belt in the tub? You got a spare belt? When I get a spare I pay for it and it gets handed to me in a bag. New sleds don't usually come with spares under the cowl. Did you pay for it? Did you ask where it was when you picked the sled up?" It was an extra charge and was in the bottom of the tub when my wife pulled in the yard with it.
    [BK
    Does your sled have a spot for the spare belt to be stored? Like I said before I had them put mine where it goes and found the belt storage strap is an issue I will have to remedy myself. A very minor issue I will probably just use a zip tie if it ever comes loose.I did ask for them to put it there though.

I am not trying to promote AMDS but it seems you had some minor issues ,that and you left it up to your wife to pickup your machine. You should have so you could inspect it and get the briefing on this machine. There are always things on most new machines even a seasoned snowmobilier might not realize on a new sled. Some little adjustment or hidden grease zirk that is recommended to get a little more attention.
    My friend who went with to pick it up was very impressed on how well they went over this machine with me and continually asked if I had any questions on whatever part of the machine they just went over.
    I will ALWAYS inspect any new sled /boat/vehicle I buy personally before signing that last paperwork. I am happy or they don't get my check.
    As much as I trust my girlfriend I would never let her pickup a new major purchase item like this.
    Also wonder is this your first new sled purchase?
    If not how did the other dealerships compare?
    I refuse to buy a sled or get service from my local dealership due to bad experiences by friends of mine and thats why I went to AMDS.
    Just my $.02 but I don't think you got screwed.

It was not my sled, her company bought it for her job. I was only doing her company a service by inspecting before she rode it.
    Yes it does have a spot where the spare belt goes. It makes a "heart" shape and snaps in a clip on the port side...not in the bottom of the tub.
    No, they did not offer her any advice, a walk through, etc... In fact they didn't even tell her to run the first tank with mixed gas for break-in.
    No, it is not the first new machine I have had at the house. CC did a much better job when I used to buy new from them.
    I tend to follow the manual initially so there are no warranty issues that the dealer can back out of if something comes up in the future.
    For the good news...she's been riding it for a week now and loves the new tundra.
    Personally I prefer a good used machine and let someone else take the initial depreciation. I have had new sleds/toys in the past and have had issues with them too, recalls on clutches and so on.
    My point being, I was really dissapointed with AMDS and their service. If I could I would avoid the dealer and do it all myself so I know it's done correctly. Your opinion/experience may be be different and thats fine with me.
    BK