Thread: Rivers West Outlaw Jacket??

Default Rivers West Outlaw Jacket??

Is anybody using the new Rivers West Outlaw jacket? I'm wondering if their new lightweight material breathes at all? I think it's called APF.

If not, can anybody recommend a softshell that is water resistant, breathable and comes in MAX-1?

I know their heavier duty gear hasn't gotten the best ratings for overall waterproofness. Two of my hunting partners bought the heavier weight gear a couple years ago and neither was really happy. It didn't breath at all and the outer fabric absorbed every drop of water that touched it making it weigh ten pounds by the end of the day. We had a large tent with a heater and when every other piece of gear was dry this stuff was still soaked. They've both bought new outer wear since then.

Maybe they've made some changes in he last two years? I'd do some good research and make sure they've made some improvements before buying.

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

I have the rain pants and they will hold out the water BUT don`t try walking any distance in them or you will ROAST!! The outside material is like a sponge and holds the water rather than repels it. There are many better brands of rain gear. Cabelas` MT50 brand are as good as anything.

I'm looking to use it as a mid insulating layer and jacket to wear when it is not raining. I already have HH Impertech and Cabela's Dry Plus that I use for rain gear. My main concern is that it won't breathe enough to use as a mid layer.

I have the Rivers West Ambush Jacket, and as far as I know all of there gear is WaterProof and only breathable by pit zippers. If your looking for a mid layer I would look at some of Cabela's Windshear garments.

Thanks for the info. I went with a Cabela's Revolution Fleece pullover for now. We'll see breathable it is. It was on sale for $79.99. It's not that thick, but I'll just wear a fleece shirt under it in the fall if I need to.

I'm still interested in the Outlaw, so if anybody is using it post up.

Don't waste your money on RW. I have the lighter stuff but it is still way too hot to do any walking while wearing it---it's like wearing a microwave and a garbage bag at the same time. As a mid-layer, you would do nothing but sweat. The only useful application I have found for the stuff is I wear it when it is VERY cold and I don't have to walk far. It's great on a 4-wheeler or sled. Used as rain gear, all it does is absorb water---it gets very heavy and takes a month of Sundays to dry without lots of heat or a dryer. I think that the stuff is very over-rated and over-priced. Just my opinion.