Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: APD now charges $150 for their background check on NFA paperwork

Angry APD now charges $150 for their background check on NFA paperwork

The title says in all.

I was setting up a AR to become a SBR for kicks.

I could live with the $200 tax, but with the new $150 APD charge for their "required" interview as of Feb 1st, I'm finding it hard to justify to do this with the other hidden costs... $30 finger print fee, $10 passport photos, $40 to restamp the frame... $430 and not one penny towards the 10 1/2 inch barrel...

I wasn't happy with the APD form as they want you to tell them every stupid thing you ever did even if they is no evidence or police records since you were born. Just like when I tried out for APD back in the mid 80's. Kinda personal...

Is there any other options in the works?

Cheers,

David

Don't ask me how it works, but everybody I know goes the trust route.

Here's a plan: get out and campaign for assembly members who are smarter than the average 5 year old and will do something to reduce the city's debt. Every Muni department has been creatively finding ways to 'reduce costs', especially the building and permitting departments. Nice to see that the police are adding fees to another pillar of our great society (like the permitting department financially punishing you for upgrading or building private property).
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Options:

1) Move
    2) Form a trust
    3) Lobby/educate mayor and/or assembly

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Options:

1) Move
    2) Form a trust
    3) Lobby/educate mayor and/or assembly
    4) Take the $430 and use it toward a different firearm and live with 16 inch barrels.

Wow, I'd been debating a 22rf supressor, and figured if I threaded various rifles and handguns, I could justify the $200 tax on top of the price of a can, but if it's $430, and then the price of a can???

The corporate route is another option.

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    The corporate route is another option.
    What's that?

A corporation can buy form 4 items without cheif law enforcement signature, finger print cards or photo.

A corporation or trust can own NFA items, without the LEO sign off.

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    A corporation can buy form 4 items without chief law enforcement signature, finger print cards or photo.
    Yes, but correct me if I'm wrong on this: a trust or corporation has yearly fees that quickly add up and if you close the trust or corporation the NFA items have to be transferred to either a different corporation or individual.

From the little I know about it, the trust or corporation works well for the well heeled gun collector with a large collection of NFA items but makes little financial sense if you are only going to buy 1 NFA item.

@ Paul H, the can would be 150 for APD, 200 tax, cost of fingerprints (30-40) and cost of a set of passport photos. I'm looking at a SBR build on a form 1 so I need to send the receiver off to be restamped as a NFA weapon so that's more of the hidden cost in my case.

I just got the friggen AR lower in for the build.. Grrr

I may still go though with it as once it's done it's mine til I die, which might be right after my spouse finds out I spent $430 just to legally shorten my barrel.

Cheers,

DT

Quicken Will Maker $20-70 depending on how current you want to be on the year in the software title.

That should be all the cost you have.

Form a trust. Done.

Talk to the AMGA guys.

Quote Originally Posted by scottr View Post
    Quicken Will Maker $20-70 depending on how current you want to be on the year in the software title.

That should be all the cost you have.

Form a trust. Done.

Talk to the AMGA guys.
    While the NRA site talks about complex Gun Trusts that seem to generate yearly cost (at least in FL) you seem to be correct as here is a great thread I found on how to:

http://forums.officer.com/showthread...-to-the-NFA...

I sense a run on software...

DT

can't do anything about the 10 1/2" barrel but a Noveske "flash surpressor" will give you darn close to what you want w/o need for the license

WOW!! I thought Maryland was bad....and it is.

Revokable Living Trust will save you the fingerprints. photo and LEO signoff but make sure that the trust complies with AK requirements because ATF NFA Branch will send them back if it is not fully compliant and legal in the state/city. I build AR's and am an 07/SOT dealing with the folks at the NFA Branch regularly and they are easy to deal with and helpful in getting your Form 1 or 4 thru the system.

By the way, a SBR AR is really noisy and you loose a lot of velocity under 12 inches or so. Fun... yes but really loud..... but not as loud as my 7" barreled 12ga and an 18 inch fireball on the end of the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    By the way, a SBR AR is really noisy and you loose a lot of velocity under 12 inches or so. Fun... yes but really loud..... but not as loud as my 7" barreled 12ga and an 18 inch fireball on the end of the barrel.
    Yes I know.

Short, handy, CQB fun! (That's why I don't want a short barrel with a long flash hider that welded on).

I don't think the paper target will notice the drop in velocity.

Cheers,

David

Yes Sir, you are correct. I use a 12" I built for 3 gun and an 8" with a suppressor for our version of IDPA 3 gun that requires 22 LR be used on the pistol range. It is a lot of fun and great practice. The 22 LR upper is really nice to shoot and cheap on the ammo side even shooting subsonics....the 8" is not fun with 5.56.

This is probably the worst place to ask for information of a technical nature. Go to a dealership and talk to them, they'll tell you exactly what to do and what it costs for each direction you are thinking of taking. I believe WWG works with NFA items.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Yes they do. I've seen SBR guide guns, AR's, and I believe they stock Thunderbeast cans...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    This is probably the worst place to ask for information of a technical nature. Go to a dealership and talk to them, they'll tell you exactly what to do and what it costs for each direction you are thinking of taking. I believe WWG works with NFA items.
    The real fact is... the best place to go is your local, well versed, Attorney. Lucky for me I have one in the family and a 2nd one as a WMA student.

Cheers,

David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast