Thread: Weaver Scopes?

Default Weaver Scopes?

Hello all,

I was wondering on the general dependability of Weaver scopes? I'm lookin' at buyin' one new; $140. Worth it? I noticed their warranty doesn't cover wear and tear like Leupolds.

I'd be looking at the Classic C 3-9-38

Thanks,

~Jon

Probably worth it at the price, but spend a few more bucks, AKH3.
    The Weaver, while inexpensive, isnt the tough, clear glass that you'll get with Leupold or Nikon.
    The latter two can be bought new on ebay in the low-mid $200 range and will have great forever warranties. Crack that piggy open for the better stuff....
    My .02

Frank

Default Weaver

I put a Weaver V16 (4x16) on my wifes Marlin 17 hmr. It is a fantastic scope. Great value. However, it was just put on last year so I cant comment on durability. But from what I have seen, it is a great scope. I would suggest looking at www.midwayusa.com and midsouth shooters website. They both carry lots of Weaver scopes as I remember. And get good quality rings and bases. I got a one piece ring/base from Marlins website. Cant remember the name of the company that makes it, but its a great product. They make them for many other rifles too.

Default Weaver?

A friend recently upgraded his old Weaver. A museum piece really, that had the built on rings/elevation adustments (shared) back near the eye optic and the forward ring which both could be moved around the tube to accomdate different size actions. This steel tube has what looks to be fine crosshairs along with a 2.5 x 8 power adjuster on the eye piece as well. I acquired it for donating my time of mouting and bore sighting along with a pair of scope rings for the new scope. He bought one of the Sightron SII 3x9's and is pleased. He can now hit the target where he is aiming. I believe the Sightron scope to be affordable. I too once had a Weaver in the fixed 4 power which was also a museum piece but now no longer have. The crosshairs on this one broke from repeated use on a 300WM. My personal preferance for scopes are Leupold and come in an assortment of models. Thanks.

the grand slam is pretty decent....but not $150.00 I had a classic fixed 6 on my 338, oddly it was one of the brightes scopes of my whole pile, that was 150ish used, I agree, you can find a used vari x II or baush & lomb 4000 for less then 200 used, you will be more happy with them.

I purchased one of the weaker fixed 6x scopes for my wifes .308 as I'd heard good things about the scope. I haven't shot it enough to comment on durability, but there are two things about the scope I can't stand. First, it has the least amount of eye relief of any scope I've ever used, and that light .308 comes back quick so that's not a good thing. The other thing I don't like is the reticle, the center plex is too narrow, and the heavy outer lines are too thin. I have an older steel tubed Weaver K6 that I like, but the newer one is a poor design for a hunting rifle.

I can't speak to there rifle scopes but I know their newer variable handgun scopes are gaining a loyal following due to good optics & dependability at a reasonable price.
    When you start shooting the rifle calibers in handguns they tend to eat poor quality scopes quite quickly.
    I've been very happy with mine. Clear, bright, good eye relief, & dependable. It's currently on a Contender pistol chambered in .358 x .444 ( aka. .358 JDJ. It's the .444 Marlin full length & necked down to .35 with a short neck) with no muzzle brake.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."