Thread: Fishing out way out of Alaksa

Default Fishing out way out of Alaksa

So we finally got orders yesterday, we will be going to San Juan, Puerto Rico for 2 years! It's our number one pick and as I've in the AK all my life, I'm soooo excited to try my hand at a little saltwater fly fishing! Bonefish, tarpon, oh yeah! I am one excited lil filly.

So we'll be leaving Anchorage around June 1 and driving our way to Orlando. We should have between 30-45 days leave to do so. We plan on a quick stop in some favorite Grayling holes in AK and in CN, Muncho Lake. But I was wondering if anyone knew any good places to fish between here and Montana. I'm really hoping to catch a bull trout (the bf did on the way up), or just fish some really cool spots. We're willing to go a little way off the road, but not too far.

I've got a lot of research to do, but I figured this was a good place to start.
    Thank God for people who don't fish!! Not much would get done without them =)

If you head down the Cassiar Hwy you will find some good spots to fish on your travels South to the border.
    Can't really help with exact spots but many of the Skeena drainage tribs are pretty ok fisheries.

Check out these web sites for more info.

http://www.gofishbc.com/default.htm

http://www.fishbc.com/

http://www.fly-fish-bc.com/

Check out southern Alberta... Pretty sure there's still some decent bull fishing around there (also great cutt, rainbow and browns), or if you are taking the coastal way the S rivers in WA and the Metolious in OR are pretty much the only places in the lower 48 where bull trout fishing is even legal.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

In south central Montana check out the Bighorn River. Look for Hardin,Mt on map and look south about 30 miles. Famous fishing area, Ft Smith (or similar name) is where many fly shops/guides are that work this section. Great fishing area from what I can tell. Looking at taking a job in this area mid March for this reason. Also, west of here is Yellowstone river among many others. Hot spot for flyfishing based on what little I have learned so far.

Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Good luck, lil Red and have a safe trip!

You guys rule =) That's a great start. Oh man, if I catch a bull or a cut throat.....I'll be one excited girl =D woop! Time to start tying!
    Thank God for people who don't fish!! Not much would get done without them =)

Your timing is perfect for a slight detour...In Whitehorse, turn south as if you were going to Skagway. When you reach the Carcross Desert, turn east and go to the Tagish River/Lakes. There you will find what you are looking for! You can fish from the bank, the bridge, rent a boat or get someone to take you out. But don't pass it by..only about fifty miles out of your way and you can get back onto the Alcan at Jake's Crossing. Best advice I have to offer...Good Luck with your new assignment/home.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I have made the trip between the east and west coast a few times and have found some terrific fishing. My recommendation is to avoid the popular big rivers. Yes you can catch some nice fish but they are smart and tougher to catch. Go for the small tribs that feed them. I would stop at fly shops and ask about any small streams in the area that fish well. I was never put over fish-less water.
    Memorable spots.... North Fork of the Cor de lain river in Idaho just north of I-90. North fork of Tongue Rive in Wyoming in the Bighorn mountains. I don't remember the name of the creek but I stopped at Dan Baileys fly shop in montana and they sent me there. Not but 15 minutes away but I caught more cuts than I can remember.

Good luck on your journey.

What service by the way?

If you plan to cross CAN/US at Creston, BC, you could hit up the Kootenai, Yaak, and Clark Fork Rivers... all good producers of cutties and a good chance of bull trout.. and plenty of good car-camping opportunities in NF/BLM lands. Plenty of good fly shops in the Missoula area... and dont forget to pack some 6mil beads... the locals may frown on you but it can be highly effective at times!

good luck!

AKCrimson,
    Haven't fished MT...but the West is about the water column and where you are in it....best of luck in your travels. More importantly, if you and the huddy/bf are in the service (guessing so with the orders thing), THANK YOU for your service.....and please, be safe!

I havn't fished Montana or Idaho for a long time. Growing up I would spend my summers on the North Fork of the Courdelane river in Northern Idaho. Caught more fish than I can count there. Montana I wish I could remember half the streams I fished there. Sun River was always a nice place to fish. They started to run guide boats down it before I left. It may not be much good anymore. Always try to hook into some Bruiser Brown on the Missouri. Belt Creek in the little belt mountains was a fun place to fish, but not real productive. It was nice to get away from the people though. I used to spend the entire weekend up there, and hardly see a sole. Food for thought though.

Fish Creek east of Missoula off I-90 about 20 miles, flows into the Clark Fork from the south. A fly shop just off the exit and a USFS campground about 15 miles up the road. Have caught Bull trout just below the campground, fish on the bottom.

Still can't tell the difference from a large Dolly, though.