Thread: Best week fishing/rafting?

Talking Best week fishing/rafting?

My brother & I are in our mid-50's, and thinking of flying to Alaska for a week rafting/fishing trip. We want the standard stuff: catch fish; see wildlife; experience wilderness (I remember rafting in California where you could almost walk across the river on the rafts).

I've some rafting experience; my brother has considerable kayak whitewater experience. We're healthy and fairly fit. So, I'm thinking we could handle this without a guide, if we stick to rivers w/ rapids no higher than Class III. Whitewater, while fun, isn't our goal. If we want to experience the wilderness (be mostly away from other people for a while), we don't want to be dumped, cold, wet & hungry.

We are also moderately cheap -- so want someplace that won't require a huge expense to get to.

Among the rivers that look interesting so far are the Copper, Talachulitna River, and Lake Creek.

So, I'm asking for any and all recommendations. Best river? Best outfitters? Best bush pilot service? Whatever I forgot to ask?

Thanks for any help.

Anchorage, Alaska

Default Here's a trip for you-

Check out the Goodnews River out of Dillingham. Fly in with Freshwater Adventures the week of July 4. You will not walk across the river on rafts, you'll walk across on fish.

LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address:
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Rafting Fishing.

If you want to float the Talchulitna or Lake Creek, this website sells a DVD with a & river guide insert for both the Talachulitna and Lake Creek.

Not much sport fishing done on the Copper. Fish can't see the bait.