Thread: Beach lake or mirror lake

Default Beach lake or mirror lake

having a hard time finding the ice fishing regs, so i will ask you guys a few questions, and chime in with some pointers too if ya could!!
    taking the little guys out for a few hours to get them interested in ice fishing. Thinking about beach lake or mirror lake (they are both less than 10 min from the house).
    What are the regs? I know i can ice fish on Mirror, as i see people do it all the time. What about beach lake? Is it open for ice fishing, and is it worth going out there?
    Can I use tip-ups, if so how many am i allowed per person?
    What do most guys use for bait?

I grew up in Maine, so lake trout fishing is second nature to me, but we never fished for rainbows thru the ice, so any pointers would be much appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!
    Tim

I am a former Mainer myself, and catching fish up here isn't much different. Use shrimp that you can get from Sportsman warehouse, or any local bait shop, the rainbows love shrimp. Mirror lake is pretty slow, if you want to catch some nice rainbows, I would go to Mat Su lake, or knick lake. You can keep 5 fish per day, and only 1 rainbow over 20 inches. don't bother using tip ups, jigging works much better. Good luck, and maybe we can get together sometime and I will show you where the BIG fish are!!!

LAKE FISHING,,, the only lake that has any fish to catch is SAND lake , they stocked it fairly heavy compaired to other lakes in the Anchorage area, yes use small spoons / hardware an a pice of shrimp on it , the best shrimp to use is Cars/ Freds buy just what you need [ don't use farm get wild caught]

I have iced fished both lakes and only caught a small black fish on mirror lake. Beach lake didnt get me anything. Both lakes a very shallow. If you go to mirror lake there is a old bald eagle that hangs around waiting for fisherman to leave their bait on the ice for him to snatch up. Through my holes on mirror lake I could see the bows, but they were very small. Take the advice of the other posters and jig. No need for tip-ups. Here is a link for the lakes in the surrounding area with depths and what fish are in them. http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/statewide/lakedata/
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

Don't bother with Beach lake. I think the only thing that has been stocked in there in the last 4 years or so was grayling this year. Mirror hasn't been stocked in 3 years or so either. Too bad really, my boy and I had a blast 4 years ago on Mirror lake catching stocked dinks one after another. Get up into the valley lakes, plenty of 'bows to be had
    Although some can call it Catchin', I still have to call it fishin'.

I fished Beach lake one time in '09 float tubing it. I had read that it was stocked with grayling so I decided to float tube it and fly fish right after work for a few hours. I fished the edges thinking I would at least catch a few dinkers but I didn't even have a hit. I fished for about 2-3 hours with nothing. Yea, needless to say I haven't been back.

Quote Originally Posted by TBLOOMA View Post
    having a hard time finding the ice fishing regs, so i will ask you guys a few questions, and chime in with some pointers too if ya could!!
    taking the little guys out for a few hours to get them interested in ice fishing. Thinking about beach lake or mirror lake (they are both less than 10 min from the house).
    What are the regs? I know i can ice fish on Mirror, as i see people do it all the time. What about beach lake? Is it open for ice fishing, and is it worth going out there?
    Can I use tip-ups, if so how many am i allowed per person?
    What do most guys use for bait?

I grew up in Maine, so lake trout fishing is second nature to me, but we never fished for rainbows thru the ice, so any pointers would be much appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!
    Tim
    Sat the 5th (I believe) there is going to be a kids (under 16 yrs) fishing contest on Knik lake... take KGB road south from Wasilla...
    The lake is stocked with Rainbow and Grayling.. Last year some kid caught a 22" rainbow... Check Country Classics radio at 100.9 for details... They've been advertising it for several days now...

sounds good old john, but I got to work this saturday. But keep em coming!! Took the little guy to Mirror last weekend cause it was warm out, and there were some other kids there. We only stayed maybe 2.5 hours, but he had a good time, no fish caught, but he had a good time looking down the hole and calling for fish!! It was pretty funny, except for nervous dad making sure he didn't fall down INTO the hole and get wet!! The most important thing was he had a good time and will want to get out a do it again!

bvtzy tried to PM ya but couldn't. Always looking to say "HI" to fellow MAINAHs!!

Quote Originally Posted by TBLOOMA View Post
    sounds good old john, but I got to work this saturday. But keep em coming!! Took the little guy to Mirror last weekend cause it was warm out, and there were some other kids there. We only stayed maybe 2.5 hours, but he had a good time, no fish caught, but he had a good time looking down the hole and calling for fish!! It was pretty funny, except for nervous dad making sure he didn't fall down INTO the hole and get wet!! The most important thing was he had a good time and will want to get out a do it again!

get out on that delong in anchorage, catch lotsa trout everytime! most under a foot tho.. i keep them over a foot. and tasty freeze is right down the street to take the kids for some icecream or burgers after or fish sandwiches.
    Semper Fi!

good idea!