Thread: Winchester 1876 .45-60

Default Winchester 1876 .45-60

Today a friend showed me what was found in her grandfather's barn. It had been stashed for decades. I dont know much about the history of the .45-60 although Im sure it's a rich one, just curious if anyone might have an idea of it's possible antique value. It looks like once it's cleaned up proper it might be quite a pretty rifle for a showpiece. Serial number is 2275. Any ideas out there?

WOW! Quite a catch there could be worth $10,000.

I think this site gives date of manufufacture and it looks like 1877.

http://armscollectors.com/sn/winlookup.php
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Really, really hard to tell without a careful appraisal by someone who knows what they're doing. But then again, the world is full of Winchester crazies, some of whom have more money than understanding of condition factors that should affect price. Lotsa nutso prices being paid for old Winchester levers these days, so regardless of niceties like bore and function, it might sell real well if it's externally pretty.

well thank both of you gentleman. I cant wait to see the rifle all spiffed up. I love leverguns!

Quote Originally Posted by cubpilot View Post
    Today a friend showed me what was found in her grandfather's barn. It had been stashed for decades. I dont know much about the history of the .45-60 although Im sure it's a rich one, just curious if anyone might have an idea of it's possible antique value. It looks like once it's cleaned up proper it might be quite a pretty rifle for a showpiece. Serial number is 2275. Any ideas out there?
    cubpilot,

Would this rifle be for sale, by any chance? How nice is this thing? "76's are very rare in good condition.

Thanks,
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Tom Horn's rifle was a 45-60

talk with Doug Turnbull @ turnbull restorations about the rifle. He is a Lever gun guru and specializes in restoring old leverguns search the internet keyword turnbull restorations

you do have a real treasure!
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

Default Crossfire Trail...

In the movie, Crossfire Trail, with Tom Selleck. He uses a special ordered Winchester M76 in 45-60 caliber in the odd configuration of carbine/musket. A musket style stock with a 22" barrel. Of course it is obviously a theater mock-up as is evident when a close up of the action is shown while he cycles the action. But anyway what a rifle it was...described in the movie as Winchesters first big bore lever gun. Truly a remarkable rifle in 1876.

Here are a couple links to some m76's for sale, enjoy.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/classifie...976803017.aspx

http://www.gunsamerica.com/classifie...976712826.aspx

http://www.gunsamerica.com/classifie...976789926.aspx

Smile

Whateveri8,

Well, at least Steve McQueen did. :-)

It's interesting looking at the old gun trivia. The 76 was favored by Theodore Roosevelt as his bear gun. I believe his was in .45-75 caliber which shoots a 350 grain slug at 1383 fps. Compare that to some of todays handguns!...Louis

Default 76

Well, the 76s really are one of the hardest Win lever guns to find in decent shape (except for the 66s of course)- usually much harder to find than the decent 73s. I guess their low production number of about 64K is the reason. Plus, the basic "toggle lock" configuration of the bolt, same basic design as the 73 just beefier, couldn't keep up with the rapid development of the higher pressure smokeless loads beginning in the mid 90s. The 86 design changed all that and easily handled the pressure transition between blackpowder and smokeless. Anyway, that 76 is a classic. And, not sure about the Crossfire Trail gun... it looks like a regular carbine to me (the standard 76 carbine does have the long stock and 22" barrel). And, the Crossfire Trail movie gun may be the real deal. Selleck is a gun collector and did buy a 76 right out from under a friend at a gun show about the time the movie was shot. And, he had one refurbished not too long before the movie and has used various real guns in some movies. Just not sure though about that one though?? And, Turnbull does a good job and Turnbull guns maintain their value at least enough to recover the cost of restoration BUT! once a restoration is done it's no longer an original. If the gun is in good shape- it would be a mistake to do anything to it except a careful cleaning.

Default 76 and others

Here's a link describing some of the movie guns that R&D Gunshop and Shiloh Sharps worked on or provided.

http://www.nra.org/Article.aspx?id=7918

thanks for all the advice and info. Murphy, I'll let you know if she wants to sell it!