Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: James Bay, the other white meat freighter

Default James Bay, the other white meat freighter

The James Bay would be an outstanding craft on the Yukon, Big Sue, Yetna, Talkeetna, Tanana etc and handle better than the Hudson Bay in PWS, Seward, Homer etc. It has almost double the load capacity over the HB. It's obviously bigger and heavier than the HB. It's unlikely you could jump beaver lodges like some do with their HB's and carrying the JB over a gravel bar and car topping would be out. If you carried a rope come-a-along to winch over the occasional beaver lodge, hauled something like the Pro-Pioneer in a bag to access the extreme shallow sloughs or line up some of the skinny rocky streams, then how limited would you really be compared to the HB? Both freighters use a short shaft so what other disadvantages are there compared to the HB? (other than cost) If a fella wanted to use one boat for everything like Yukon moose, PWS black bear, Seward silvers and Homer butts then why not go with the JB and 40hp?

I studied one at Kanoe People in Whitehorse and would have bought it had it been built for a long shaft motor. Motors of that much power aren't usually made with short shafts. While I thought about the purchase, I developed a health concern and dropped the idea.

For the canoe travel I do, It would be great!

I have considered an upgrade from my HB to the JB, scott canoe tells me that the HB is every bit as good as the JB on lakes in big water as the JB sits deeper in the water and is a wetter ride. Both are glass boats so don't think many people would be dragging either over many beaver dams.My HB has no cut out on the transom so is deeper in the back and is made for along shaft,I imagine the JB can be ordered the same way.The JB will handle 2 guys and gear and 2 big bull moose,I'm not sure if the HB will handle 2 bulls with gear and hunters.I wouldn't want to drag the HB on shallow yukon rivers like the bigsalmon, but the yukon,pelly,stewart should be fine. No Jon boat will handle the load of the JB freighter on handle the big lakes as well.

Hi
    The James bay is available in a long shaft what the James bay has over the Hudson bay is the James Bay has a full transon where the Hudson Bay has a Y stern transom
    Pat From Scott Canoe

Thanks for the info Pat. I talked to Alaskacanoe this evening and I'm hoping he can save me the trip to Whitehorse. No offense but that drive is down right inconvenient.

I guess the other difference between the HB and JB, is most people seem to trailer the HB with the motor removed on most unpaved roads, this would not be an option on the JB. The thought of removing and installing a 40hp 4 stroke over and over is not appealing. I had a look at the JB this summer that has been used for a number of years by the canoe people up here, you have to see one in person to believe how big they really are, big flat floor and super wide.It would be the ideal craft for those 7-10 day moose trips with tons of gear or a summer river trip with 4-5 people

I gave some thought to putting two 20hps on a JB so you could remove them but after further consideration that would also be a back breaking task not to mention you would need to rig a remote steering and have to disconnect that with the batteries every time. I'm thinking Tohatsu 50hp two stroke. It weighs the same as the 40hp @ 206#. If you lift the motor and brace it with a stick while trailering then most of the weight will be directly over the transom. Install a jack plate with minimal setback and you could raise and lower the motor as needed and maybe install a jet unit for the low water streams. Hmmm...

You could probably get by with a 30hp 2-stroke on a James Bay, The canoe people up here use an 18hp on there JB I believe. You may want more than a that if your pushing a big load up river, but for traveling on lakes and on most rivers a 30hp might be fine.I would be careful with a jet on a freighter canoe,the bottoms are not designed to be powered over gravel and river bottoms. And with a jet installed one would be compelled to push the envelope in shallow water.Freighters to me are a slow and steady kind of craft.

good luck

Very good point Grit. I plan to run the pudding out of this thing in salt and the rivers. I just sold my 24' Alaskan and now I have my big v-8 jet boat on the market. I'm going with the JB for the simple life. I have a 20hp but Kanoe People recommended a 40hp. I decided on the 50hp since it is the same size and weight as the 40. The extra hp will "only" be for the uh-ohs in PWS and for the extra moose to haul up the Yukon. The jet unit I spoke of would be for the Big Sue or Yetna when the water gets low. I hate the thought of wrecking the the skeg and prop or worse on the invisible gravel or sand bar. The jack plate may bring the prop up enough to make the jet obsolete. I'll know that when we get the motor mounted. I "won't" be powering up riffles. In no way do I plan to run this thing like a Sportjon. I'm tired of white knuckles and worrying about what's around the corner. I usually hunt with 1-2 bowhunting buddies and it makes a better hunt when everyone knows he has a chance to bag one with room enough to get it back. I'm pretty excited but it'll take a couple months to get the thing after it's ordered. It'll be Christmas in spring. Just have to decide whether to make it pretty royal blue or olive drab to hide the blood stains. I'm leaning olive drab.

Pat @ Scott Canoe says that the JamesBay has the advantage of a full transom, whereas the Hudson Bay has a Y-stern. What is the advantage of the full transom, or rather the disadvantage of the Y-stern?

THat why I went with the freighter for river trips,I to use to rub a big jet boat, but haveing to be moving at 25mph to be on step all the time was getting old as was the 10-15 gal/per hr. The freighters are slower for sure but is way more relaxed and burns hardly any fuel.It just feels like thats how rivers were meant to be run. The JamesBay in drab green would look great.
    good luck

The advantage of a full transom is more floatation in the stern. You don't have to put as much counteracting weight up front. You can put a heavier motor on it etc.

The advantage of the y-stern is better fuel economy because there is less wasted energy pushing all that water out of the way. The y-stern puts the water back where is came from while the full transom causes a lot of burbling water behind the boat which is evidence of wasted energy.

There are good and bad things about both. Like everything in a boat...it's a compromise.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Thanks, martyv.

For me, the biggest difference between the JamesBay and the HudsonBay is 200#. It's difficult to manhandle a 450# boat if you get stuck. IMHO, the HB is at the upper limit - by size and weight - of a canoe for skinny water.

I will be buying A HB this year, and intend to
    carry my 16' Wenonah Kingfisher upside down as a load cover, and for exploring places the HB would impractical ... creeks, off river ponds, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Thanks, martyv.

For me, the biggest difference between the JamesBay and the HudsonBay is 200#. It's difficult to manhandle a 450# boat if you get stuck. IMHO, the HB is at the upper limit - by size and weight - of a canoe for skinny water.
    A feller could order the JB in a Kevlar layup, that would knock some Lbs off.
    Had a buddy with a Kevlar Mad River freighter (very limited build in the '80s) that was quite the rig. Light, and very tough.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

A Kevlar JB would be quite the rig indeed but unfortunately according to Scott's web site, Kevlar lay-up is not available for the JB. Just a skid plate. I imagine the price for all that Kevlar would be out of sight. Another reason may be that a fully loaded JB would need a larger motor than an empty Kevlar JB could handle without several buckets of water to hold the bow down...?

P1020456.jpg P1020459.jpg
    Would a fella be banned from the canoe forum if he put a console in his James Bay?

P1020457.jpg P1020458.jpg

It sure looks good and would be really skookem with plexiglass windshield...

great looking JB.They are mhuge canoes.fanttastic hunting boat

Default Console on James Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Boud'arc View Post
    Would a fella be banned from the canoe forum if he put a console in his James Bay?
    Not by me. +1 That's beautiful!

Me either. Also the Y'd transom reduces cavatation alowing you to motor in shallower water........like others have said there are trade offs with any design.

Personally I think we need to get all these scott canoes on a single body of water........if nothing else it would draw a crowd!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast