Thread: Regs Question

Default Regs Question

While fishing for trout last weekend on the upper, we incidently hooked into some brute silvers. What do you do when you hook one, break off and re-rig, or bring it in and release the hook? Can you take a photo out of the water with them? I know that the regs close it to fishing for them after October 31, but they do not close it for Rainbows/Trout until the spring. Dozens of times I pulled the fly away just to avoid hooking them in pursuit of the rainbows behind them, but I'm just not sure how to read this reg. How do you guys interpret it?

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

As long as you are not targeting them and you safely release them you are fine. Where I am not sure about lifting them up or not I think it would be best to leave them in the water and carefully release them.
    "The Tug is the Drug"

Trust me...If you take them out of the water....AK junk Monkey will be calling in the troopers...The cert team the cia....fbi,,,, and any other group he can hug on..Do not tak them out of the water...Unless dan catches a nice one tomorrow and I will get a pic and safely release the fish
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Carefully look around, and if no one is watching wack that sucker on the head, cook it and eat that baby.
    I would suggest some lemon and fresh dill, then baked to perfection.

The regs read something like that the fish may not be targeted and must be released unharmed... So as long as you aren't targeting silvers and you release them without like dragging them on the rocks and stuff, your fine.

Seriously Chuck, just because I don't post GPS spots of the trout holes on my favorite rivers doesn't make me an *******... Also just cause I care about the resource and regulations doesn't make me an *******... I'll take a little bit of ribbing now and them because yeah I'm an elitist dick, but whatever.

heck this is last january... the fish was out of the water for about 5 seconds... That was they day they were hitting size 14 copper johns... (sigh)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

:0 :0 hugs and kisses
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Carefully look around, and if no one is watching wack that sucker on the head, cook it and eat that baby.
    I would suggest some lemon and fresh dill, then baked to perfection.
    LOL i had to laugh about that.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

The regs state it is against the law to remove a fish from water AT ALL if you plan to release them

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

This is why catch and release sickens me with so many people removing fish from the water for a picture then releasing them.It is against the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Albradley View Post
    The regs state it is against the law to remove a fish from water AT ALL if you plan to release them
    I'm not trying to argue or disprove your point, but where does it say that? I've read the regs over and over again and cannot seem to find that statement.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    The regs read something like that the fish may not be targeted and must be released unharmed... So as long as you aren't targeting silvers and you release them without like dragging them on the rocks and stuff, your fine.

Seriously Chuck, just because I don't post GPS spots of the trout holes on my favorite rivers doesn't make me an *******... Also just cause I care about the resource and regulations doesn't make me an *******... I'll take a little bit of ribbing now and them because yeah I'm an elitist dick, but whatever.

heck this is last january... the fish was out of the water for about 5 seconds... That was they day they were hitting size 14 copper johns... (sigh)
    So you can snap a photo with them a little above the water, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post

You MAY have other qualities that would qualify you for such a rating, though.

Alaska Outdoors TV had a show on about a week ago that showed them netting a silver they caught brought it in the boat to show the viewers and then released it. so it must be ok lmao . as long as you release the fish unharmed like we did there shouldnt be any problem. hell theres a fish and game office right around the bend we'll have to stop them and ask them next time chris.

Wrong... THe regs state it is against the law to remove a Chinook Salmon from the water if you plan to release it, this also applies to other fish in some special regulations (for instance steelhead on the lower Kenai Peninsula) they say nothing about removing other fish from the water, just releasing them unharmed. Lifting a fish out of the water for a few seconds has not been shown to cause increased C&R mortality in any study. Fishing is a blood sport, C&R or otherwise, we hurt the fish if we eat them or just play with them, and it is a personal ethical question that we must ask ourselves and define for ourselves while fishing. We love the fish yet torture them, its a conundrum to be sure. I even struggle with C&R fishing myself from time to time, to ease my mind I use barbless hooks, and flies because I am least likely to kill fish with those tactics.

PS this might be a good question in the Ask a State Trooper Forum
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Alright just got off the phone with the soldotna F&G office. it is completely legal to remove a silver from the water snap a pick and then release it unharmed,as long as you are not harrassing the fish aka passing the fish around or laying it on the ice or rocks. yes it is illegal to target them but as he said if you accidently caught one it is completely legit to take the fish out pull the hook and snap a pick. the only fish he stated that cannot be removed from the whater is king salmon. so yes it is legal any questions you can call there and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by 900fusion View Post
    Alright just got off the phone with the soldotna F&G office. it is completely legal to remove a silver from the water snap a pick and then release it unharmed,as long as you are not harrassing the fish aka passing the fish around or laying it on the ice or rocks. yes it is illegal to target them but as he said if you accidently caught one it is completely legit to take the fish out pull the hook and snap a pick. the only fish he stated that cannot be removed from the whater is king salmon. so yes it is legal any questions you can call there and ask.
    My mistake I thought it said all fish not just kings

My mistake I thought it said all fish not just kings
    Not just kings. It also applies to rainbow/steelhead for a portion of the Kasilof River according to page 42 of the regs, bottom right corner. http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...al/SCkenai.pdf

Weird, when I quoted earlier at work it didn't show the pic of that silver. Nice Fish!