Thread: Need help with a new rod/reel

Default Need help with a new rod/reel

I am looking for a new spinning rod reel combo for the reds and silvers. I want a good rod for the Russian but also one that I can take out fishing with spinners for silvers. I need one that I can cast pretty far with also. Money is not a issue so I am looking at g-loomis as the rod and a good shimano reel. Any help would be awesome.

Sly, I have been very successful using Ugly Stick BWS 1100 8.0' Action M (10-25lb) with Shimano AX 500 reels for your application since 1995. The Military Exchange carries them for the pair they're less than $150. With fresh Maxim Ultra green I have landed some nice Kings as well. Save your money ~ you won't be dissapointed.

Sly Angler,
    the best options are either a SAR1024 or a SAR1084 GL2. These are the salmon tank rods of the Gloomis world for bank anglers and part of their flag ship series. Both are outstanding. Shimano is also one of the "bench mark" reels on the market today. Consider either of the following in the 5000 to 6000 series reels; Sedona, Sahara, Symetre, Stradic and Sustain. Of course there is the Stell*****$$. You can find these in town or see us in April. Load the reel with Maxima Ultra Green fishing line.

Thanks for the help I am going to look into it. Thanks for your help guys!!!

Kenai Cache Outfitters I like it and I would be happy to buy from you guys. Thanks for your great help and support.

Might I suggest picking up and 8 or 9 wt fly rod? I have found that my hook-up to land ratio is almost 1 to 1 on a fly rod when fishing for reds. I also seem to snag less fish. Not sure what it is. I think it has something to do with the way the rod loads up and puts less- but constant- pressure on the fish. It keeps the hook buried with constant pressure, but doesn't put so much pressure that it rips the hook out. Get on a good silver stream and it can be a blast catching them with flash and maribou flies.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Lamiglas G1311 and Shimano Sahara 4000