Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the best value hunting scope?

Default What is the best value hunting scope?

I need to purchase 2 new hunting scopes, both for 30-06's (one is a Remington 700 XCR II and the other is a Remington Gamemaster Pump-Action). I am looking for a pretty inexpensive scope ($100-$200) for the pump action rifle, probably in a 2-7 magnification range and a little bit nicer scope for the 700 XCR II ($200-$400), preferably in the 2.5-10 magnification but also in the standard 3-9x. Right now I am having a tough time deciding.
    I am looking at the following:
    For the Pump Action 30-06 ($100-$200)
    Burris Fullfield 2 (2-7x35 - $120)
    Bushnell Elite 3200 (2-7x32 - $160)
    Vortex Diamondback (2-7x35 - $180)
    Vortex Viper (2-7x32 - $170 Being Discontinued) I'm leaning toward this one.
    Sightron S1 (2.5-10x44 - $180)
    Leupold VX-1 (2-7x33 - $180)

For the 700 XCR II 30-06 ($200-$400)
    Bushnell Elite 4200 (2.5-10x40 - $320)
    Vortex Viper HS (2.5-10x44 - $350)
    Sightron S2 (3-9x42 - $260)
    Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x50 - $380)
    Leupold VX-2 (3-9x40 - $330)

I know these lines of scopes aren't exacly comperable, but the prices are, and I want to get the best for my dollar. I really like the rainguard on the Bushnell Elites and have really liked the 4200 series. Leupold has a great name but I am not sure the money gets you into as high a quality scope anymore. I am not sure about Vortex and Sightron, but have only heard really good things about them. I would appreciate any guidance. Which scope is the most worth the money??? I may be opening a big can of worms, but if all these scopes are comparable (coin flip) I will save money on the more inexpensive scope.

Also if the Sightron S1 is good enough I may put that on my 700 XCR.
    I would appreciate your thoughts.

I'd stick to the Leupold & Nikon's, both good value, I have a Burris as well but had a slight issue with it so wont buy another. Most all scopes come with great warrenty nowadays but IMO if I have a scope that goes t*ts up in the field, the last thing I think about is how happy I am that the factory will fix it for free.. Never had any issues with my Nikons/Leupold VX 1&2.
    "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." T. R.

Get a Leupold FXII-4x or 6x for $299.00 and go forth and kill stuff.

The new Redfields are worth considering. Good scope for the money and made by leupold.

Not even a comparison but not on your list. Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/zeiss.pl?page=521460

Bang for the buck: Bushnell Elites (can't beat the price-quality combo)
    Excellent glass with low resale: Vortex (I use their binos and LOVE them)
    Overall: A used VX-III or Nikon Monarch (but you'll pay for it)

RW

Nikon Pro-Staff might be worth taking a look at. I have one on my 7mm Rem mag TC Encore and absolutely love it. I've hunted with it in heavy rain and heavy snow. Not once has it fogged up on me. Plus, at around $170 it is very affordable.

Hi AK Grizzly. send me an email triumph@alaska.net
    I have a Leopold 3x to 9x in excellent condition for sale.

I was in a similar place not long ago. After "looking" through a bunch I narrowed my search to a Nikon and a Leupold for the money I was willing to spend. I ended up with 2 Leupolds and have no complaints.

I love my redfield 3x9. It would work great on either and was about $155 with a duplex reticle. They have a range compensation reticle available at a slightly higher price ($20 or so more).

Leupold VXII. Go get it at Sportsman's Warehouse, Freddies or even Wal-Mart for $299.00. The warranty and customer service is unbeatable and the durability is fantastic.
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Burris Fulfield, Leupold VXII or Nikon Buckmaster. All are as good of quality as your goona get without spending the big bucks.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

The Bushnell Elites. Hands Down.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I can't fathom why anyone with a budget of $400 would choose any of the listed scopes over a Zeiss when you can get the 3-9x40 Conquest from cameralandNY for $399.

Zeiss
    Leupold

Have always worked the best for me.

Never owned a sworo.

just my .02

Never had an issue with several Leupolds over many years.

To add to the low cost pump action scope list: Nitrex 1.5-5x32 by Weaver. Its on sale at $130 (more than half off) at Natchez shooters supply (rebate period is over).

I just put one of these on a little break action rifle thats now 30-30AI, but have yet to shoot it - need to reload first. I like the way the scope looks, and the image it gives me. The eye relief is a little short at 3.5 inches, but I am not too worried about it. I really like the way the focus system works.

For the other rifle there are a lot of options. Bushnell Elite 3200 are on close out sale, but don't let money be the deciding factor.

I love all my Loopies, but seeing the Zeiss for a good price is very interesting. However, based on my past experiences with NY based camera "stores" I am leary, even with their A+ BBB rating.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    To add to the low cost pump action scope list: Nitrex 1.5-5x32 by Weaver. Its on sale at $130 (more than half off) at Natchez shooters supply (rebate period is over).

I just put one of these on a little break action rifle thats now 30-30AI, but have yet to shoot it - need to reload first. I like the way the scope looks, and the image it gives me. The eye relief is a little short at 3.5 inches, but I am not too worried about it. I really like the way the focus system works.

For the other rifle there are a lot of options. Bushnell Elite 3200 are on close out sale, but don't let money be the deciding factor.

I love all my Loopies, but seeing the Zeiss for a good price is very interesting. However, based on my past experiences with NY based camera "stores" I am leary, even with their A+ BBB rating.
    There is nothing to worry about with cameraland they are a forum sponsor and just flat out good folks! Talk to Doug or neil and make sure to tell them you are a member o the AOD

AKGrizz, everything you've mentioned is a good value. I'd say that a Leupold VX-3 is equivalent to the Zeiss Conquest series (assembled in USA). Like others mentioned, consider a new Redfield for a good low cost value. Leupold bought the brand. I don't know how they compare to their VX-1 or Rifleman scopes, but they are definitely not top glass.

In the end, go to Sportsman's Warehouse and look over as many scopes as you can. It comes down to weight, looks and operator preference. Check out www.6mmbr.com for scope reviews. They are primarily a benchrest group, but lots of guys on there like the Sightrons for their guns.

Also, check out http://www.samplelist.com/ for Demo and trade in scopes - some really good deals. That website is part of SFWA's website.

If you are looking for value for money scopes go with Leupold

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast