Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Booked!

Default Booked!

So I paid my deposit and me & friend are going on an unguided moose hunt with 40 Mile somewhere south of Tok this September! I am already excited.

You guys helped me pick between McGrath and here, only time will tell if I made the right choice but it is booked!

feels good don't it?!!

Quote Originally Posted by mbcijim View Post
    So I paid my deposit and me & friend are going on an unguided moose hunt with 40 Mile somewhere south of Tok this September! I am already excited.

You guys helped me pick between McGrath and here, only time will tell if I made the right choice but it is booked!
    Well I for one have hunted with 40 Mile twice, and both times were successful. Once for sheep and once a float hunt for moose and ended up with a nice grizzly instead. I think you will be pleased with their services. They are professional and friendly.

I have nothing but good things to say about 40Mile. My 2006 moose trip was great. I should have the coin to do it again in 2012
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

As I get older, hunting adventures are the only things that get me excited anymore. I am soooo excited. We will be camping on a lake. It's a dropoff hunt. Anybody have gear recommendations besides the normal camping stuff?

Which lake are you going to be on? PM me please don't put it out there but I did a lake drop and have a few tips if you hunted the same one I did with 40 mile.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Mike, Trying to PM you but I seem to have an error on my end. Sending an email to your info@ address in your signature line.

Mike, Trying to PM you but I seem to have an error on my end. Sending an email to your info@ address in your signature line.
    I think you are about 8 posts short of enabling your PM feature. There are limits on activating the PM feature to prevent spammers.

Thanks Mike. 7 left I guess!

Have hunted three times with 40 Mile, and look forward to doing it again. If you email me your email address, I'll send you a generic gear list you can use as a guideline and then tweak it to your own preferences.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

hey! thats where i am going too!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Keep posting and pm me also where your going. I can most likely help a little with some info. And I live in Tok, so I am not going to be hunting there!

Default PM'ing

Guys, I don't have enough posts yet to be able to send PM's. If you PM me with your email address I'll reply or you can email me directly jim@millerbros.com

Northway, I'd LOVE to talk to you and BlueMoose (sp?) you too if you read this. I was thrilled to see your response Northway, thank you. I've read enough of your reviews to know you're there and know the territory better than anyone. Specifically one of your reviews has me very, very scared about Moose in that area.

Frankly, I am not bringing home several hundred pounds of meat to Pennsylvania. You guys help out enough on here I'd be happy to supply some meat for you local boys, if we are successful. I know that some people will disrespect me for that, but frankly we are doing this for the adventure. I have 10 whitetails in my backyard every morning. If I was a meat hunter I have no reason to leave my house. Heck, I didn't even kill a whitetail this year because they keep killing them on my 35MPH road with their vehicle and there ain't nothing wrong with roadkill.

Where do you live in Pa. I'm in connellsville Pa. [you need another post or so .]post a few goodlucks and congad.

I'm in Schuylkill Haven, about 4 hours from you. It's above Reading and below Wilkes-Barre. I actually own the state police barracks just south of you in Uniontown on 119. So I've been through Connellsville a few times!

mbcijim,
    Great choice in choosing 40-Mile Air. I did a drop hunt with them this past season in a different area. They are a great group of hard working men, and will put you in a good area I'm sure. With a lake drop, you should be able to take a little more gear than I was able to, as they will drop you with a plane larger than a super cub. Take mdhunter up on his gear list, it is a good one, and you can tweak it as you see fit. One word of advice, start right now on working out daily to get yourself in "AK hunting shape". You won't regret if you do, and you will regret if you don't. The terrain will get the best of you if your not in prime shape. It is nothing like Pennsylvania, or anywhere else in the lower 48. Good luck with the preparations, as it is fun in itself. You will get more stoked every day. I dream about the day I can return for another hunt. Knute

@Knute, My hunting partner and I are running a half marathon in May, on a ski resort. You go up and down the ski mountain 5x! We are talking about doing one in August to make sure we stay in shape until then, but I've basically been in pretty good shape since last summer.

How was your hunt, where you successful, and did you do a drop hunt or a float hunt?

Question for all you guys who don't want to carry a moose too far, is it really that bad? I've dreamed off shooting a moose and a dall sheep for a long, long time. For me, a day or two of suffering is nothing to achieve a dream. I've been saying to myself, if I am 3 miles from the plane, do I really care? If I have a couple days till the plane shows up, why not? I'll have a partner who's also in shape. I have an awesome Elk and a Zebra Rug on my wall and I look at them almost every day and remind myself of the great memories, work, and fun I've had.

Fairly certain I've hunted the area where you'll be dropped. PM me when you get a chance.

mbcjim,
    My son and I did a DIY super cub drop hunt on a river gravel bar. We both purchased moose tags, but the area we were hunting offered the registration hunt for the 40-mile caribou herd. Before flying out we registered for the caribou. The moose rut was running late, and the bulls were not showing. We had cows around, but the bulls were not responding to them or our calls. We were, however, seeing caribou daily. I have an idea where 40-Mile does their lake drops, and I'm sure you won't have the choice of putting your moose tag on a caribou in that unit. My son ended up taking his caribou on the 4th day out, and I took mine on the 9th day. Neither of us were dissapointed. My son shot his caribou 1 mile as the crow flies from camp. I'll tell you now, that was the toughest thing I think I have ever done. From traversing permafrost, tussecks, alder thickets, beaver ponds, small streams, up and down hills, ect., it will take every thing you have to carry a loaded pack of meat. At 50 years old, with a history of back problems, I knew I had to be in the best shape possible. I walked/jogged 2 miles a day for 6 months, plus did sit-ups and lifted weights. Its a good thing I did, or I would still be there packing that animal out! Although I didn't get my moose, I think I know where the bulls were, and it would have been a hell of a pack. I know what to expect now, and would not have a problem shooting a moose a mile or so from camp, but I would much rather shoot one closer to camp. You need to prepare yourself mentally for this trip, also. Purchase and read some books on AK hunting, such as Hunt Alaska Now, any of Larry Bartletts books, Michael Strahans books, Rocky Mcelvens book, and several others. They all have good info on different situations encountered. I started planning my trip nearly 3 years in advance, and gathered all the info I could. This forum is invaluable!! Research past threads, and ask pertenant questions. Many on here are willing to help you out, as they did me. The fun is just beginning. Knute

Great,

I'm still working out the details of my fall Brown Bear Hunt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast