Thread: big water jetboating

I love the rivers down there. A buddy had this twin built a couple years back to go to his cabin on the Talkeetna and we got a chance to run up some of the local rapids there out of Lewiston before he shipped the thing up here. I'm not much of a video taker but some of you may like this seeings how you may have seen the boat up on the river...

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...apids%20Video/

some impressive boats. is that the only HCM up here you no of. Have you rode in them much Chris?

Quote Originally Posted by excav8tr View Post
    some impressive boats. is that the only HCM up here you no of. Have you rode in them much Chris?
    Thats actually a Riddle, but I have spent a fair bit of time in a 21 foot HCM owned by a fellow up in the valley, its got the stick steer (like this Riddle does as well) and one of them supercharged 6.2 litre motors and really rips. I love the precision of the stick steers, but its a learning experience all over again every time I get in one. Also, MusicMan here on this forum has a 24 foot (I think) HCM, but I've not gotten a ride in it (yet!) If you're really looking at them, pm me and I'll see if I can hook you up with a test trip on this 21 footer. We actually spent an afternoon on a gravel bar past Sqwentna with my Riddle and Dick's HCM and had Doug and Ryan back and forth on the cell phones bashing their respective boats and arguing over whose boat had the best beer this past summer. HCM's are a real solid boat and handle great... they're just not "orange" if you know what I mean!

I'll be towing up a something similar to the Riddle and HCM in April. It is an IBC with stick steering and the 496. Should be quite the learning curve! Would love to hook up with some of you guys with more experience to learn how to run the rivers. Just hope I can feed her all the gas she eats!
    Very cool video, those guys have some big kahoonies.
    Tennessee

Where is IBC built at? How big a boat are you getting?

With the amount of time you have spent in Lewiston Chriso I'm surprised you have not heard of them. The company is no longer around but they had a great group of fabricators and riggers. Most of them came from Thunderjet and the boats where heavy duty stick built boats. I wouldn't hesitate buying one even if the company is shut down. I highly doubt you'll ever have an issue with a warranty repair on the hull.

Quote Originally Posted by chriso View Post
    Where is IBC built at? How big a boat are you getting?
    IBC is short for Idaho Boat Company but they went out of business recently. From all my research they are in the same class as the Riddle and HCM as well as the larger Thunderjets. This is the boat I am buying:
    http://www.meanchicken.net/webmain/f...hp?f=39&t=4051

Web site is sometimes very slow to open

Wasnt really looking for a boat this nice as I was in the process of ordering a 25 Wooldridge Sport Drifter. But the SD was going to cost just under $70K by the time it was delivered to Alaska and then would have to add all the electronics. Saved over $20K plus got one heck of a lot nicer boat. Not knocking the Woolie folks at all but with used bargins like this on the net I would be a fool to pass it up.

PS: The first option I plan on buying is a Lewis chainsaw winch Gonna be a pain to unstuck this boat when she decides to take a rest on a gravel bar.
    Tennessee

That's a great deal Randy. sometimes used is the better way to go & there's some deals out there if a guys got the time to wait & see with the economy the way it is. just think of the extra goodies & fuel you can allocate to that thing now. it'd be nice to run around down there a bit when you pick it up to get the feel a bit & maybe they can take you out where the "big kahunna's" hang out & get a first hand lookeesee!!

Quote Originally Posted by M.Hicks View Post
    With the amount of time you have spent in Lewiston Chriso I'm surprised you have not heard of them. The company is no longer around but they had a great group of fabricators and riggers. Most of them came from Thunderjet and the boats where heavy duty stick built boats. I wouldn't hesitate buying one even if the company is shut down. I highly doubt you'll ever have an issue with a warranty repair on the hull.
    Ok, I'm a bit slow sometimes, I've spent a bit of time around them now that I got my head out of the clouds! Nice boats. I havent spent a lot of time around Lewiston, actually only made it there twice for a couple days each time, but was fortunate enough to get on the rivers both times.

I'm not all that much on warranty coverage up here either, if you need the warranty, its probably not the boat for alaska is my belief. Give me a well built boat that I can trust, and I'll take care of the repairs myself, I'm a big boy now (actually kind of a true statement now that I look down for my belt buckle!) Their welding and materials are top notch and if you tear something up, Garret can fix any welding you need out there in the valley, and the hami 212 as well, which is proven to be pretty much bullet proof too, that motor is common and reliable too. Not much need for any additional warranty I say. I had some warranty issues with some sportjets a few years back and while they got taken care of. I lost a whole season and a half to get them resolved, and still wound up ponying up for the replacement powerheads in the end after the ones given me by mercury failed a second time around. Warranty dont mean much when your so far away and summers go by so quickly

WOW!!!! What a smokin deal! (I dont like it though, it aint "orange" enough!)

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    IBC is short for Idaho Boat Company but they went out of business recently. From all my research they are in the same class as the Riddle and HCM as well as the larger Thunderjets. This is the boat I am buying:
    http://www.meanchicken.net/webmain/f...hp?f=39&t=4051

Web site is sometimes very slow to open

Wasnt really looking for a boat this nice as I was in the process of ordering a 25 Wooldridge Sport Drifter. But the SD was going to cost just under $70K by the time it was delivered to Alaska and then would have to add all the electronics. Saved over $20K plus got one heck of a lot nicer boat. Not knocking the Woolie folks at all but with used bargins like this on the net I would be a fool to pass it up.

PS: The first option I plan on buying is a Lewis chainsaw winch Gonna be a pain to unstuck this boat when she decides to take a rest on a gravel bar.
    Beautiful looking rig! And a great price too.
    I'm all over finding good deals on used equipment. Let the other guy absorb the depreciation.
    Whats the deadrise on the IBC boat compared to the Wooly SSD?
    I'm going to have to try and get up to Fairbanks some day, lots of great boats to go check out.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Have no idea what the differences in deadrise are. The Woolie was narrower, 102 vs 108, and a good bit lighter. But it is hard to compare the weights because the IBC has a semi hard top with sliding windows and a 1/4 inch bottom vs 3/16.
    For what we do, the 1/4 inch bottom isnt needed but as we all know every boat is a compromise of sorts. This choice mainly boiled down to economics. Instead of buying new and losing 20K in 4-5 years we bought used and might be able to sell it for what we paid for, or even more down the road.
    I'll be driving through Whitehorse in mid April as I tow her back. Lets do lunch
    Tennessee

Just an idea Randy, you may have already thought of it. I had a bra made for the front of my boat before towing it up. I think it was only$200 and well worth it. Not a scratch on it. It was made out of a felt lined material that held up well. I still use it for going up to the Yukon Bridge and down to Chitna. The only road rash I got on the boat was from a small gap between the fenders and the frame of the trailer.

Good tip and thank you but it comes with a full bra already. Plus the mooring cover as well. Another great reason to buy used. Might tape some cardboard over the windows to prevent rock chips and pick up a second spare, just in case.
    Tennessee

Snowwolfe,
    If you see my red HCM parked about 8 miles down from the 'landing' stop in and have a beer! My son in law is the pilot and would love to compare boats and show you some tricks. And Chris all my previous offers still stand.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"