Thread: How to find Steamers ?

Default How to find Steamers ?

I haven't spent much time on the beaches in PWS or across the Spit looking for them - mostly because I am not sure where to start looking.

What kind of beach do you look for and how do you go about it? Some steamers would be a nice bonus for me since I cannot seem to catch much for fish in PWS.

I don't get too far out of whittier as I only have about a 100 mile range for the whole weekend.

some info http://www.psmfc.org/habitat/edu_pacclam_fact.html

I have dug them in WA state in puget sound...should be about the same as that. We will have to bring a rake or two on this summers trips.

When do they spawn here in AK?

We have found two spots in PWS that produce enough butter clams for a nice meal, but they are not easy to dig. The shells are white and thin. If they were easy to get the otters would have already decimated them.

The wife will eat a couple, if her lips don’t tingle most likely they are good to eat; no PSP toxins.

Some fresh rock cod, a few jumbo shrimp, a mess of butter clams and some beach green make a fine meal!

Sorry, don’t ask where we found the clams…I have to live with the boss.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

It's no secret the Kenai's gettin' clammed out; I don't much care for steamers so I'll tell ya- around here most people hit Kasitsna Bay. Some good digging left in Jakolof, too. Obviously, the lower the tide the better.
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    We have found two spots in PWS that produce enough butter clams for a nice meal, but they are not easy to dig. The shells are white and thin. If they were easy to get the otters would have already decimated them.

The wife will eat a couple, if her lips don’t tingle most likely they are good to eat; no PSP toxins.

Some fresh rock cod, a few jumbo shrimp, a mess of butter clams and some beach green make a fine meal!

Sorry, don’t ask where we found the clams…I have to live with the boss.

This may soind like a stupid question...But what do butter clams taste like??
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

I am not sure these are actually butter clams, some may call them steamer clams: they are extremely tasty. Dip them in butter- hence the name-and enjoy. I have been eating clams from all over Alaska for like 45 years, and have to say these are some of the best. Razor clams are great for frying, stemmers are nice dipped in butter also, these clams we find in PWS are delicate and sweet beyond any clam I have ever tasted. Perhaps it’s because they are so hard to find I do not know, but early this year we will be hunting these little devils to steam with our catch.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

i think across the spit you just go in one of the coves and look for other people clamming. its mostly pebbles over there

I can give you a spot near Homer, the back side of McDonald Spit. We use to have a friend with a cabin there, and they took us out and we got plenty of steamers with a rake. Here is the exact location: N59 28.542 W151 35.176.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

make sure you know how to tell steamers from butters, as steamers need to be 1 1/2" across, but butters need to be 2".
    every once in a while the troopers will check boats at the ramp and/or clammers on the beaches, and they always nail someone with undersize butters.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/