View Poll Results: What do you run most for salt kings? (Feel free to list particulars.)

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cut Herring

8 22.86%
  • Whole herring

6 17.14%
  • Herring in a holder/flasher/spinner

7 20.00%
  • Plastic/Hoochies

4 11.43%
  • Hard Tackle, Crippled Herring/Buzz Bomb/Flat fish/Pixie

5 14.29%
  • Other

5 14.29%

Thread: Saltwater Kings

Default Saltwater Kings

What do you run primarily for salt water kings?

I like to use a whole herring with a paperclip on the nose and a toothpick down the spine to get the right roll, sometimes in combination with a chartreuse flasher.

Crocidile spoons baby!!!!!!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

AKJOB by paperclip do you mean an actual office paperclip? How exactly do you use it?

Saltwater king salmon trolling in a nutshell:
    Get it down, call 'em in, serve 'em something to eat.

8-12 oz cannonball on a 12 inch dropper... or an Old Salty diver... or a downrigger... to get the goods down.

Rotating in-line drag-free flasher (Big Al's FishFlash or KoneZone) to increase the radius of attraction.

Whole or plug-cut blue-label herring, brined... or Apex... or Toman salmon spinner... to get the darn things to bite.

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I start with a bit of everything. Trolling to locate fish I fish a spoon that I change frequently as time and fish go by. A flasher with a hoochie, flasher and a fly either with or without bait, and a plain herring. As time, dollars and gallons of fuel go by check and change baits, colors, lengths of leaders, try dipsies, jetdivers. Throw a herring with a light sinker off the center stern, cut or clipped. You can get really crazy and try a Vibrax or some spinner in the prop wash, not too far back. Just enough to look like a bait fish that was churned up. Once you find what works, start switching to more like that. But don't get greedy, you can spook fish with all of the same stuff. If nothing works try new leader lengths, colors, sizes, etc... Mooching and jigs are awesome if you find a bunch of fish, and can stay on them. The best thing you can do is be confident and comfortable with what/ how you fish.

I like a whole herring with a dodger at about 100-120 feet (summer/fall) I also like to use a herring strip ( when I started trolling there was a herring shortage and we were conserving herrring).
    spring time is a whole herring and a bright orange weight at 20 feet.

I mooch 100% of the time, 90% with plug-cut greens and blues, 10% with whole blues.

When mooching, do you use a fishfinder to locate the fish, look for surface activity, or do you just drop a line over structure and hope for the best? Haven't done much mooching in the past, but plan on it this year for silvers at least, maybe kings as well.

-Brian

I don't do much king fishing in the salt and mine is shore based but blue and black clouser minnows are money for pressured fish like in the fishing hole, seldovia slough and Halibut Cove. When I get tired of flailing away with no fish around I switch the the baitcaster and a jig of some sort. If I were fishing salt, I'd troll a dodger and a whole herring.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by B_M View Post
    When mooching, do you use a fishfinder to locate the fish, look for surface activity, or do you just drop a line over structure and hope for the best? Haven't done much mooching in the past, but plan on it this year for silvers at least, maybe kings as well.

-Brian
    I use a Furuno FF and rely on it more then anything else. I do have a couple spots that have great king structure and have caught numerous fish there even when little or no bait was present, but generally do fish better with bait in the area. Good luck.

On mooching how much weight do you all use. And from the weight to the hook what is the distance you use?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Most of the time 4 oz. is perfect, I've never had to go above 5.5 oz. or below 3 oz. I'm currently in the process of tying leaders (800 or so) for the upcoming season, most years I tie strictly 4/0 Gami's on 30lbs Maxima UG, 6 to 7 foot, this year with the bait shortage the resort I work for is ordering alot of blue label herring since the greens are supposed to be hard to come by, for the blues I'm tying a couple hundred 5/0 leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by RainGull View Post
    AKJOB by paperclip do you mean an actual office paperclip? How exactly do you use it?
    Well they're called them paperclips, but they are not the same as office paperclips. That said, I have caught kings using the actual office paper clips in a pinch, and it worked okay. The ones you want look like little folded pieces of metal, and I find them most often in stores that cater more to commercial fishermen. They work great-

Peacock Krystal-Flash or Monkey-Puke tinsel are the hot Chinook colors in Southeast. Drop a trolling fly or hoochie over a solid tie mooching rig with a herring strip on the lead hook. Lately I've even been letting a coordinating spin-n-glow do its thing on the nose of the trolling fly. Then run this whole circus behind an 11" dodger attached to a downrigger and set it all to whatever depth your crystal ball suggests... works every time!

-Case