Thread: Boatshow brains?

Unhappy Boatshow brains?

Thoughts on the boatshows and outdoorshows here in Alaska (maybe those who put it on might read this)

I looked on the website to find specific times for the seminars I want to see (I didn't save my newspaper that it was posted in earlier this last week) why is it not on the website?

What were the promoters thinking when they had the boatshow on superbowl Sunday last time?

Why would I spend money to park, money to get in, then see a kayak I bought for $400 earlier that year (and doesn't sell anywhere for more than that in whole world except at the outdoor show...) sitting with a sign on it saying "cheapest anywhere only $450" at the outdoor show?

How come the boats that don't sell for the "boatshow price only" sell for that price later on if it doesn't sell?

Do these promoters think that the people that go to these shows have more money than brains?

Thanks for letting me vent for free.

Having the boat show on Super Bowl Sunday may have been a good thing. Not every one watches the Super Bowl and it gives the women a chance to go to the show and look with out the better half butting in. The price thing is a supply and demand thing. Many business will have a lower show price just to draw people in. Kind of like going to Walmart on black Friday to buy that TV set and there are only 3 available and 500 people looking for it. Spending your money and the price you are willing to pay is up to you. Let the buyer beware.

The boat show has always taken place on Super Bowl Sunday, hasn't it?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

It's not like it was/is a one day show.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    Not every one watches the Super Bowl.
    Blasphemy! A notch will be placed on your man card. We'll never speak of this again.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    Blasphemy! A notch will be placed on your man card. We'll never speak of this again.
    Honestly, in all fairness I think he was referring to his wife or girlfriend maybe, preferring going to the boat show rather than staying home watching him watch the superbowl?

To the OP; Why when I go to gunshows I see many, many new guns for more than in the local gunshops? And I don't have to pay to get in their door.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Doubt I will go this year. Every year I debate going, then end up paying the money and when I walk through the doors and see that it's the same old thing I wondered why I came. Kind of the like the annual sportsman's show except at least there I can afford to buy something
    I liked it better when the boat show was at University Mall. And free.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Doubt I will go this year. Every year I debate going, then end up paying the money and when I walk through the doors and see that it's the same old thing I wondered why I came. Kind of the like the annual sportsman's show except at least there I can afford to buy something
    I liked it better when the boat show was at University Mall. And free.
    You stated it better than I could.
    But just wait, one day after the boat show starts we will see a bunch of new members asking what boat is best for Deep Creek and the Susitna. And most will not heed the advice and buy the bigger motor that everyone tried to talk them into.
    Nick named them AVB's.......................Alaska Virgin Boaters.
    Tennessee

As for the boat show prices, I bought my boat new last year at the SPECTACULAR BOAT SHOW SPECIAL PRICE. At the end of season I went to their yard and saw my exact model sitting there with the boat show brochure and price still on it! The only reason to go to the boat show is...no wait I didn't even see the beer garden when I bought mine. It needs to be free, and there needs to be deals there. Ohhh yeah that reminds me, the dealer i bought mine from had the USCG "safety kit special" two months later the kit is 35 bucks cheaper then at the show! Buyer beware I guess.

In response to having a boat show on SBS. and others. Beats not having a boat show, irregardless of when it is scheduled, by about 100%. Not one to be a victim, I make myself aware of prevailing retail prices in advance so my emotions don't rip me a new one.

after thinking about it again, the good thing about the boat show is you can see the difference in size of the boats, inside, outside, beam, length etc. the end.

To me, it's cheap entertainment. Go, don't go. Pay, don't pay. Buy, don't buy. It's all your choice. Do your homework. If it's right for you, go for it. As far as the Super Bowl, isn't that played kinda late in the day? I'm sure you could fit both in easily. I did have to laugh at this part though:
    Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    Do these promoters think that the people that go to these shows have more money than brains?
    I think it's a well known secret that a lot of them do.

My buddy was looking for a gas pot puller so we decided to check out the Boat Show. Looks the same as last year. A few nice boats to look at. See what they have done to upgrade the newer version of my boat. People were nice and at $5 for over an hour of entertainment can't complain. Now I won't go again this year, because I had to pay, whereas if it was free I probably would get talked into going again by someone else. Ohh and no luck with finding a gas puller. Anybody want to PM where my buddy can find one.

Default Oh yea!!!

Let's see...
    Stay home?
    Go snow machining, on the ice?
    Stay home help the wife?
    Stay home listen to the wife?
    Split more wood?
    Dream more, about how summer is right around the corner?

Yep, you all are right. Going today, see you all there...
    Tony