Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goat weight??

Default Goat weight??

How much boned out meat will you get out of a good billy?
    How much will the fresh cape weight?
    I have taken a caribou cape home on the plane as carry on and one time a moose cape as checked baggage. I will try and do it with a goat.What do you think?

The green hide with the skull and feet in weighed around 55lbs, the boned out meat was just over a 100lbs. I taped up the horns to keep them from poking through the duffel bag and shipped the hide back as checked baggage. MAKE SURE to tape those sharp horns, they poked right through one bag.

Steve

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    The green hide with the skull and feet in weighed around 55lbs, the boned out meat was just over a 100lbs. I taped up the horns to keep them from poking through the duffel bag and shipped the hide back as checked baggage. MAKE SURE to tape those sharp horns, they poked right through one bag.

Steve

Two 8" pieces of old 5/8" garden hose, just push it on as far as it will go, then tape it in place.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Two 8" pieces of old 5/8" garden hose, just push it on as far as it will go, then tape it in place.
    I used 2 empty Crown Royal bottles, the plastic ones. Garden hose should work better, but empting the CR bottles sure was fun!!!!

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

first off are we talking a wet hide or a dry hide? Big difference in the two according to those who thought it was a good idea to rinse the blood out in a creek sheep style!

Stid, I know EXACTLY where that picture was taken. <grin>

Good point on the horns, I put one right through the side of my McHale pack which if you have priced those packs is enough to turn your stomach!! Luckily the fabric is pretty resilient and I just pulled it back through and rubbed it with my finger nail and it "healed" for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by headhunter353 View Post
    How much boned out meat will you get out of a good billy?
    How much will the fresh cape weight?
    I have taken a caribou cape home on the plane as carry on and one time a moose cape as checked baggage. I will try and do it with a goat.What do you think?

Good article on estimating goat weights at this site http://www.jstor.org/pss/3800231. The the weight of the hide relative to the boned weight reported in this thread are interesting.
    Joe
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    Good article on estimating goat weights at this site http://www.jstor.org/pss/3800231. The the weight of the hide relative to the boned weight reported in this thread are interesting.
    Joe
    Joe
    I wonder if that is a fleshed weight or not. It was pretty easy to leave quite a lot of fat on the hide on the couple that I have skinned.

I fold the head inside the rest of the hide before bagging it. This takes care of any poke-through problems.

Some good ideas will come out of this thread, though, and already have!

Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I used 2 empty Crown Royal bottles, the plastic ones. Garden hose should work better, but empting the CR bottles sure was fun!!!!

Steve
    I can just imagine you getting a bunch of friends together to see the goat mount when it gets home and for some strange reason, everybody wants to sniff & lick the horns.

Gary, the wife ask me what I was laughing about. It looks like it will all fly home with me and I'll ship my gun and pack home in the same boxs I use to ship them there in.Life was good when you got 3 free checked bags.

Been in on helping pack out 7 goats in the last two years. The last goat we pretty much lost an entire front quarter but boned everything else and even with losing most of a front shoulder it came to 87 pounds boned out so with no meat damage on a big 9+ billy you are looking at 100+ pounds of boned out meat. THe wet hide that was trimmed pretty well (not fleshed though) was 55 pounds. Guys that are packing camp, all the boned out meat, and a whole head/hide are my hero. Coming off the mountain this year with 135 pounds and Stid can attest that I was groaning and whimpering pretty good

Weight of my de-boned mountain goat meat, weighed on carefully calibrated scales....100 pounds even at kill site.

After surviving the downhill hike, scramble, and slide off the mountain....killer yellow jacket hornets, hungry black bears back at the mountain camp......200, no 300+ pounds.

...winpering and groaning allowed and expected. Singing in the bushes advised. Just don't sit down and get to comfortable until the job is done!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Been in on helping pack out 7 goats in the last two years. The last goat we pretty much lost an entire front quarter but boned everything else and even with losing most of a front shoulder it came to 87 pounds boned out so with no meat damage on a big 9+ billy you are looking at 100+ pounds of boned out meat. THe wet hide that was trimmed pretty well (not fleshed though) was 55 pounds. Guys that are packing camp, all the boned out meat, and a whole head/hide are my hero. Coming off the mountain this year with 135 pounds and Stid can attest that I was groaning and whimpering pretty good

ahhh, you pansy. My starting weight is you +135lbs just getting out of bed in the morning before I ever touch a pack <grin>

if you thought sheep was a tough pack out...a big billy will beat it almost every time. these guys are right on with their weights.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

HEAVY!!! Even more so if you shoot a BIG mature Southeast Alaska billy in October in the rain and snow! You have all the meat and the full cape in your pack! Then add on to that that you and your partner were dumb enough to both shoot one each! The absolute hardest 18 hour hunt I have ever been on! Soaking wet, partial hypothermia,caught in the dark, no light, no matches, no flagging, broke a gun, almost had a broken leg and somehow in the pitch black of the night (thank the Lord) we ended up walking down the mountain, through devil's club and alders exactly to where we had tied up the boat! Man, I did some dumb things when I was younger!

northway, sounds like you had a pretty normal goat hunt!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I can't wait .Thanks for all the info.All my hunt are killers it seems.Moose 2 mile one way as the crow flies,caribou over 5miles on the tundra[haul road],Elk hunts 2 miles to get water and a 14 day pack pack in the bitterroot and many more .All great memories. It's something how you forget the easy hunts.This will be the 1st. time using a guide.

This has got to be the best thread I've read all winter. Good laughs and great info. Stid, I still can't believe the story behind that goat. Glad everyone made it out and it will be a story for the ages. Thanks for sharing all the info and, as headhunter said, making my wife wonder what I was laughing about. Thanks Gary.

Default weight

Above posts seem about accurate on the weight------they are heavy. We took 2 off a ridge in Kodiak a couple years ago and took about 2 days to get them out. Would have taken a lot longer, but we were able to slide the bagged meat down the mountain in a rolled up tarp and climbing strap. Sure wish we wouldn't have left that tarp in spike camp as we spent a long night shivering under a taped up space blanket after getting the goats. You always remember the tough hunts, and so you will always remember goat hunts. . .

I had a F&G employee call and ask what the conditions were on my 09 goat hunt and why I took a nanny. I told him strait up, because I wanted to. I was solo and way far in the backcountry. I found a solo girl and wasn't sure billy or nanny just that it wasn't goatzilla. I was able to manage the weight and all legal harvest requirments solo. Be carefull about taking a big billy too far in the backcountry without support. Establish clear objectives with a partner for a bonified billy hunt and everyone will be much happier.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast