Thread: Recommendations for basic training me and my CBR

Smile Recommendations for basic training me and my CBR

15 week old Chesapeake about to complete her vaccinations and we're asking for your opinions on training facilities here in Anchorage.
    we've been getting better by the day on house training, stay, heel, but working through distractions and convincing her to do something she is not interested in are our 'bumps' in the road right now.
    I'm also concerned about reducing the potential for developing separation anxiety, if anyone has some advice or a good resource so I can educate myself.
    Thanks,
    Matt
    Last edited by lineburns; 01-26-2011 at 11:47. Reason: poor editing

Linda posted this earlier and I agree totaly with her.
    Patience, consistency and repetition are not just for the dog but for the human too. If you train yourself to react in specific ways in training your timing gets better, you keep your emotions in check, and your dog reacts reliably.
    Each Chessie will develope its own personality as they grow. I have own 6 of them so far and found each one to different. One thing that I have noticed that they like to bond to their owners and will hold them in the highest regards. A soft hand works best. My 8 month old girl has never had a hand layed on her. I use my voice to correct her and if I need to get her attention I give her a twist or pinch one of her ears while looking her straight in the eyes. I think that visual contact is essental between you and her. It is easier to train them if you only have one trainer because more than one trainer if not on the same page may confuse the dog. As far as leaving her alone I would put her in her kennel until you know how she will act. I always make sure mine has chew bones as she will eat any thing that is available.

Matt,

The Alaska Working Retriever Club (http://www.alaskaworkingretriever.co...ndclubinfo.php) offers training classes geared towards retrievers. Contact Kelli and she'll know what's in progress, or coming up. Basic obedience (sit, here, heel) is foundation training. Be firm, fair & consistent (louder is none of those), and follow the 3 S's -- short, simple, successful. Dogs learn by repitition, and it's quite natural for pups to balk. Does she not want to do something, does she not know what you what her do, or is she confused? Teach, teach, teach. And teach her praise is earned by doing what you asked, not just for anything. Praise appropriate to the task completed [i.e. don't go walloping gah, gah over a sit -- save it for something bigger). Each step of the training process is a foundation for the next step(s), like building a pyramid or structure, so find a program/plan to follow.

Just a few good books & videos that aren't real expensive:

"Sound Beginning" by Jackie Mertens (DVD) - available at http://www.puppyvideo.com/ & other gundog supply places

"Retriever Puppy Training : The Right Start For Hunting" by Cherylon Loveland & Clarice Rutherfood - http://www.gundogsupply.com/bkk-0523.html Excellent, covers the basics and inexpensive

"The 10-Minute Retriever : How To Make A Well-Mannered, Obedient, Enthusiastic Gun Dog in 10 Minutes A Day" by John & Amy Dahl - you can find it at Amazon.com

Evan Graham's "Puppy Program" DVD I haven't seen, but a lot of people like it. His "Smartwork For Retrievers", vol. 1 covers basic training, step-by-step. His books/DVDs are available at http://rushcreekpress.com/allproducts.html

Separation anxiety? Just my opinion, but that is something that's in large part man made. Curious, but why are you worried about it?

Good luck & keep us posted!

Karen

P.S. What is your pup's name? Any pics yet?

Karen,
    Thanks for yet another thoughtful and helpful response!
    Her name is Remmy and most of time she is a true delight. We are all in training here and doing our best to build a solid foundation to work from.
    Separation anxiety, how to prevent or what are the warning signs? She still whines when crated, no matter if its to keep her out of trouble when we cannot give our full attention (15-20 min) or when its when we leave for the day. We have been very careful to try and keep the crate a 'good' place and not a punishment, but convincing her of that, that's another story.
    90% of the time she is a great dog, 5% total mischief making puppy, and the remaining 5%, uncooperative and almost a little spiteful.
    IMG_1792 - Copy.jpg
    Last edited by lineburns; 01-28-2011 at 13:14. Reason: PIcture placement

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Im not really sure how important a "puppy class" is unless this is your first pup. To me it seems like all day is training for new ones, young pups and new rescues alike. An hour is so long for a pup and I guess I get tired of all the yacking. Then when you get the sits, downs, stays, stand (comes in handy) and come at home, about 5 -6 mos then go to a class. I like that along with field training because the dogs are in closer proximity inside in a class. If you do the basics as play periodically,when you are at home then its not such a chore you have to do. Take her with you a lot to stores that let her in, like mill and feed. Walks the isles turning the opposite way of her attention and have treats to keep her with you. You can try the dog parks but keep an eye out for bullies and keep her on a leash. Second thought the on leash parks would be better until she's over 40 lbs or so.
    www.alaskadognews.com