Thread: 325 WSM loads

Default 325 WSM loads

I'm not a reloader, but friend of mine did load some of the Barnes TSX in 200 grain pill for me, used last year on moose hunt and bullet performed extremely well. Looking ahead to black bear and sheep hunts this year and was wondering if anyone has used the 160 grain Barnes TTSX?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I just ordered some today. So far I've loaded the 200gr and 180gr, for the 325, and 150gr for the 308. All shoot very well. I'll probably start with RL17, since Barnes recomends it, and use the same oal as the 200 and 180, .05 off lands.

I have had good results with my 325WSM using Nosler 200 grain Accubonds. They are extremely accurate and hard hitting.

Worked well on these.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

A couple more that I introduced to my 325WSM and Mr Nosler!!! The sheep was taken at 427 yards. The 200 grain Accubonds are available in factory loads.

Happy shooting!!!

Steve
    Founding Member

Nice animals. I've yet to hunt with mine. I drew a deer tag last year but used a Styer Scout for that hunt (150 gr TTSX) I see you are just off the lands, my magazine length won't allow me to do that, so I've found .05 works best for me. Takes up a little more case capacity, but they shoot great. I'm using H4350 for both loads. I might use RL17 to start with for the 160 gr load.

I too like Stid have settled on the 200gr AB's. I tried some 180 TSX's and they just didn't group as good. The 200 grain accubond really hits the sweet spot with the 325 I think. It's so aerodynamic with it's boattail and high bc that you don't gain any advantage of going to a lighter bullet. Plus, a 200gr is not effected by wind as much, penetrates better, etc. After a guy shoots that ram or goat he's packin a enough wallop for the brown fuzzy on the hike out as well. I load my 200AB's to just over 2900, equals the factory load, shoots sub moa. Stid loads his hotter. The 220gr Sierra Gameking is another good flyer. I load it to 2800ish. I killed an interior griz with it. I'm not sure it has much advantage over the 200gr AB though either. It does hold more energy over 400yds compared to the 2900 200AB but up until that point I don't think any critter will know the difference. The 200gr AB at 2900+ fps in the 325 really is a do it all Alaskan round except for maybe coastal brownies. Break out the 375 for those guys! But, a 220gr Swift A-frame and a well placed shot would probably get the job done. I'm sure there have been more than one Alaska Brown bear taken with the 8mm Rem mag. An unless a guy loads the Big 8 real hot, the 325 shoots the same bullet at the same velocity.

I've killed sheep, moose and bear with mine and recovered one 200gr AB. Nice little 140gr mushroom. Retained 70% of it's weight just like noslers' claims.

Dang Steve.... did you shoot that bull this year? Along with your sheep and goat?!?!?

I did, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once and a while. lol
    Founding Member

I hardly think thats the case (I mean about a blind squirrel finding a nut).

Somehow I feel I've seen those pictures before............................................ .................... oh yeah now I remember in my dreams! They sure are pretty. Well done!

Is that RL 7 or RL 17 on that target ? Has anyone who owns a Kimber Montana 325 WSM been able to get 200 grain bullets to group ? Thus far I have not, 220 Sierra GK yes, and good groups they are, but now I am "on a mission" to find a 200 gr. load combo - I am about to try some Barnes 200 TSX

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    Is that RL 7 or RL 17 on that target ? Has anyone who owns a Kimber Montana 325 WSM been able to get 200 grain bullets to group ? Thus far I have not, 220 Sierra GK yes, and good groups they are, but now I am "on a mission" to find a 200 gr. load combo - I am about to try some Barnes 200 TSX
    It is Reloader 17, becareful as this is a HOT load. Synd, on this forum shoots a 325wsm Kimber. He also shoots 200grainers. PM you some info.
    Founding Member

I would love some data for 200 gr bullets in the Kimber - I have 2 pages of stuff that doesn't work will in mine or my son's so I must be missing something pretty obvious

I'll have to check my notes but I'm shooting 200gr Accubonds at just over 2900fps (2935 avg I think for 5 rnds) sub moa at 100yds with good consistency. This essentially duplicates the factory Winchester loads with the 200gr AB's.

IMR 4007 SSC, CCI LRM primers. If I remember right I seated the bullet out quite a ways to get real close to the lands. Nice thing about the Kimber is it has a long magazine. I use the same powder for the 220gr Gamekings with same results, sub moa but at about 2800. Maybe just under.

I'll look at my notes and get back to you but I remember I'm at max or just over. I couldn't get anywhere close to the same velocity or accuracy with 4350.

This is the best I could get with 180gr TSX's with 4007 SSC anyway. I've settled on the 200 AB's and 220 GK's.