Thread: Dillingham ATV rental?

Default Dillingham ATV rental?

thinking of moose hunting around dillingham next year. I'd like to rent a couple 4 wheelers there. anybody know of a place?

Without substantial assistance from local residents in Dillingham, I am not certain that an ATV based moose hunt would be successful or rewarding.
    I know that this little gem of wisdom reads "negitive". And I could be wrong.
    Hopefully some of our forum members from Dillingham will be able to provide some useful and positive guidance.

I think you'd be better served by trying to rent a boat. I can't think of any real ATV trails to get very far off of the road there, but I didn't have a four wheeler to go exploring with when I was there. With a boat you can either go up into the Wood River Lakes or up the Nush, both of which have moose.

Check the regs, I have heard that some areas close to villages as well as the Nush are resident hunters only: or have been in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Without substantial assistance from local residents in Dillingham, I am not certain that an ATV based moose hunt would be successful or rewarding.
    I know that this little gem of wisdom reads "negitive". And I could be wrong.
    Hopefully some of our forum members from Dillingham will be able to provide some useful and positive guidance.
    Though I am uncertain, you may be able to rent an ATV from Bay Power Sports. The phone number is (907) 842-2297 and you'll want to speak with Rick Huffman. This is the only place in town that comes to my mind. If Rick can't help you with either a machine or another suggestion then it's not an option in DLG.

I am sorry to inform you that Dennis (AlaskaTrueAdventure) is mostly (if not entirely) correct. Hunting from an ATV is very limited in DLG. A large portion of the property surrounding DLG is either private allotment or owned by Choggiung Limited and there are restrictions and significant trespass fees involved to use this land if you are not a resident of the Nushagak River drainage.

For those requiring easier access, hunting in 17C can be accomplished by road hunting. However, I can't recommend this. There are many people that simply want any legal bull for the freezer and several bulls are taken by this method each year between DLG and Aleknagik as "hunters" scour the Lake road. Otherwise hunting in 17C is an air or water access proposition. There is very good hunting here and the bulls can be monstrous, but hunting on an ATV would not be a good strategy IMO.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by riplake View Post
    Check the regs, I have heard that some areas close to villages as well as the Nush are resident hunters only: or have been in the past.
    How sure are you mate? Do you have some proof? Pics. must be the proof.

I know the Nush is locked up by Choggiug Limited. The Wood river and the Lakes draining into it may have some more open land but you will have to travel pretty far. Choggiug is very proactive in policing their lands. You can't even pull your boat over to go into the woods to pee without them wanting a trespass fee. They also usually don't give a fall hunting trespass rights for hunting unless you are a shareholder. They have a website, which of course does not show exactly what their lands are or what their fees are. They can vary depending on who you talk to. http://www.choggiung.com/

I love how they have a toll free number for shareholders only. How do they know if you are a shareholder before you call??? "(888) 377-2464 toll-free in Alaska (for shareholders)"

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    I know the Nush is locked up by Choggiug Limited. The Wood river and the Lakes draining into it may have some more open land but you will have to travel pretty far. Choggiug is very proactive in policing their lands. You can't even pull your boat over to go into the woods to pee without them wanting a trespass fee. They also usually don't give a fall hunting trespass rights for hunting unless you are a shareholder...
    Choggiung owns a considerable amount of real estate in the DLG area. Hunting access is easily granted and is free (camping sites require a permit at a nominal cost) for shareholders and non-shareholders alike if you are a resident of the Nushagak drainage. There is a substantial trespass fee for nonresident (in-state or out-of-state) hunters.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

That's in 17B, quite a ways up from Dillingham. Not an issue if you want to wheeler around Dillingham. Closed to non-residents on most rivers two miles each side of the river in 17B
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem