Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: moving to alaska

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    kodiak
    Posts
    50

    Default moving to alaska


    Hello, I am moving from NJ. to Kodiak and can't be more excited. I only bow hunt, I like doing backcounty Bivy hunts and not affaid to hike. (Packed elk out 10 miles x 3 trips last year on foot). I am looking for a place to caribou and moose for my wife and I. We are looking into Unit 24a for caribou and Unit 20f for moose. I will not get to kodiak until june. Planning on taking the ferry from kodiak to homer then driving up the Haul road.

    I am up to any suggestions on bow hunting in alaska on any species and any location. I am in the coast guard and will be considered a resident as soon at I report, except for goat, sheep and brown bear. I don't really care if we shoot the biggest animals although that would be nice. We just want to see animals.

  2. #2
    Member kodiakrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kodiak, Ak
    Posts
    3,175

    Default

    Welcome to the Forums, and to Kodiak,

    I can't comment on the up north stuff, but can assure you
    Chasing Blacktails, Mt Goat, and Elk around the Archipelago, will be a blast for you.
    If you search for it, there's a great thread on Caribou/Reindeer found on the extreme west of Kodiak you would like to read,
    I'll see if I can find it for you

    There's even a fair amount of Brown Bear Hunting available by registration, around town.

    You're Gonna Like It here

    Tho, "considered a resident as soon as you report" are you sure? how does that work ?
    just mentioning, that's worth making sure of before you claim residency on your license

    PS Coast Guard folks, considered Very Cool, here, for obvious reasons
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

  3. #3
    Member AK Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stickslinger View Post
    I am in the coast guard and will be considered a resident as soon at I report, except for goat, sheep and brown bear.
    That is not factual. Without spending 12 months here you are not a resident. See page 9 of the regulations.

    What you are talking about is a free non-resident active duty military license that allows you to hunt and fish like a resident unless you are going after any of the Big Three.

    See page 11 of the regulations for how to apply. This web page, down on the lower right, has the excel formated application that you have to fill out and mail in for each member of your family. You cannot obtain this type of license over the counter.

    What is interesting is that with a guide you can hunt brown bear, but pay the resident rate for the locking tag. Saves a few hundred bucks, but still cheaper to wait 12 months.

    Kodiak can be a bow hunters wonderland.

  4. #4
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    If it was me, I wouldn't even leave the Rock for a year until I got my residency. The blacktail deer on the island are a perfect low cost introduction to Alaska bowhunting. Couple that with great fishing and duck hunting and I doubt you will have enough free time in the first year to even bother heading north
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  5. #5
    Member Lone Wolf1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Congrats on the assignment.

    OBTW, the state honors IBEP certification from other states, so bring your card with you (if you have it) to qualify for the "archery only" hunts. If you don't already have one, it may be worth getting certified before you head up hear, as you'll possibly be busy with you CG duties and unable to line up a class. (From the regs "Alaska recognizes bowhunter certification cards from any state authorized program or the NBEF/IBEP card.")

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    kodiak
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Thanks for the information. As for the 12 months to become a resident, I know that the 2010-11 reg state you have to wait the 12 months. I was talking with a friend up there that works with fish and game and he was told they are changing that for the 2011-12 regs. No big deal, I will be happy hunting grasshoppers as long as i am in alaska.

  7. #7
    Member AK Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stickslinger View Post
    Thanks for the information. As for the 12 months to become a resident, I know that the 2010-11 reg state you have to wait the 12 months. I was talking with a friend up there that works with fish and game and he was told they are changing that for the 2011-12 regs. No big deal, I will be happy hunting grasshoppers as long as i am in alaska.
    Your buddy it talking out his butt.

    If that was the case then it would had to have been put through our legislature last year to be in effect on 01 January 2011. Fish and Game does not have the legal standing to change these laws.

    The State loves to fleece the tourists and any change to the residency laws that are currently on the books would cost this state way too much money. It took years of arm twisting to get the nonresident military license established. That is as far as the State will be willing to go to not fleece people over access to fish and game.

    This link is for the current 2011-2012 explanations on license and residency requirements. Its the same as last years requirements.

  8. #8
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    Our state fleeces? Man, you should see the price to hunt elk in some of the western states. Deer tags, if you can get one in Iowa are now over $500. Our non-resident tags are cheap compared to many states.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,900

    Default

    Lol you guys kill me go read page 11 of the 2010-2011 regs. Stickslinger I'm going to give you some of the best advice ever call fish and game talk to them. Also look up csgswimmer on these forums as well shoot him a pm.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Lol you guys kill me go read page 11 of the 2010-2011 regs. Stickslinger I'm going to give you some of the best advice ever call fish and game talk to them. Also look up csgswimmer on these forums as well shoot him a pm.
    Yep, that says pretty much the same thing that most have been saying on here all the way through. They qualify for resident license fees, but that doesn't make them a resident.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,956

    Default

    We go through this all the time. Military members qualilfy for special non-resident military member license and tags at the resident rate but have to wait the year for tags that require true residency or a guide. The licenses are not free, those go only to guard and reservists. You are NOT considered a resident for other things such as the PFD. anchskier and 323 have it correct.
    Its long drive from Homer up to the Haul Rd.

  12. #12
    Member FishKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stickslinger View Post
    Hello, I am moving from NJ. to Kodiak and can't be more excited. I only bow hunt, I like doing backcounty Bivy hunts and not affaid to hike. (Packed elk out 10 miles x 3 trips last year on foot). I am looking for a place to caribou and moose for my wife and I. We are looking into Unit 24a for caribou and Unit 20f for moose. I will not get to kodiak until june. Planning on taking the ferry from kodiak to homer then driving up the Haul road.

    I am up to any suggestions on bow hunting in alaska on any species and any location. I am in the coast guard and will be considered a resident as soon at I report, except for goat, sheep and brown bear. I don't really care if we shoot the biggest animals although that would be nice. We just want to see animals.
    Taking a ferry from Kodiak to Homer and then driving to the Haul Road? It seems like your a person who does their homework but do you realize how much driving that really is? I figure 230 miles from Homer to Anchorage and then 350 from Anchorage to Fairbanks plus where ever your going hunting. Everyone, AM I MISSING SOMETHING???????

  13. #13
    Member AK Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Stickslinger I'm going to give you some of the best advice ever call fish and game talk to them.
    You must have missed the part where he says he has a buddy that works for F&G. He's got a man on the inside already.

    Stickslinger will be one of the lucky ones that will learn before he ever arrives in state that sometimes F&G workers have no idea what they are talking about. For some of us it took several years of residency before we learned that just because someone's desk sits in a State office does not make them knowlegable. It is always best to skip the "expert opinion" and go to the printed regulations.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    north pole
    Posts
    336

    Default

    yea its a long drive from homer to the slope about 1100 miles to dh better get a chest freezer and a gen to keep the meat good for that drive.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    kodiak
    Posts
    50

    Default

    I called fish and game today and you are all correct they are not going to change the regulation this year. I WAS WRONG! As for the drive for homer up to the haul road it is only a day of driving. I drove 18 hours this year to go shoot a Whitetail deer and flew 3000 miles and drove another 12 hours after that to shoot a elk. So if I only have to drive 1100 mile in Alaska that doesn't sound to bad to me. Plus it will be a great opportunity to see some country side. I was just looking for an honest opinion to see if that was a good unit to hunt. I don't have the money for a fly in hunt this year and want to see what my best options are.

  16. #16
    New member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chugiak, AK
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Welcome to Alaska stickslinger. I am a CG member in Anchorage and will be hunting the slope this year. I opted for a fly in to get out off the beaten path this year. The one year wait for residency feels long, I wont be a resident for hunting/fishing purposed until late June. Just in time to do some dipnetting hopefully. This forum has some great information and will be a good resource for you. Take care

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stickslinger View Post
    I called fish and game today and you are all correct they are not going to change the regulation this year. I WAS WRONG! As for the drive for homer up to the haul road it is only a day of driving. I drove 18 hours this year to go shoot a Whitetail deer and flew 3000 miles and drove another 12 hours after that to shoot a elk. So if I only have to drive 1100 mile in Alaska that doesn't sound to bad to me. Plus it will be a great opportunity to see some country side. I was just looking for an honest opinion to see if that was a good unit to hunt. I don't have the money for a fly in hunt this year and want to see what my best options are.
    One thing to keep in mind is that this isn't all nice highway driving. Once you get to Fairbanks, the road conditions go downhill. The last leg of the trip will be going from paved road to gravel road where the travel speeds drop and the type of traffic you are dealing with changes to where you can't just race along. The drive from Homer to Fairbanks is going to be around 10 hours alone, give or take, not to mention the worse road beyond that. If you've got another driver to share the drive time, it will be more doable, but going to be one heck of a long day.

  18. #18
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    Ain't no freeways up here son. You'll be lucky to complete it in a 24 hour drive. You'll probably sit in construction somewhere along the way for an hour or so too. If it were me, I'd plan the adventure too. Just be prepared to take care of meat for that long of a trip, including the ferry trip.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    kodiak
    Posts
    50

    Default

    i was planning on taking 2 days to get there, I have family in anchorage and was going to stay there the first and last night of the trip. their will be 4 people going so we can rotate drivers. I drove from Anchorage to Valdez on a bear hunt 2 years ago, it was a great drive. should i expect the same road conditions up to fairbanks? I understand the haul road is rough I plan on taking 15 for the trip, so we are not going to be in any hurry. I don't understand why i need a freezer and generator. How warm is it going to get? I kept my elk meat at camp for 10 days without any spoil with temps 30 -60 degrees. we just dried it out and put it in plastic bags then put it in the river during the day when it was warm. then we would pull it out at night.

    What is the reason for removing the meat with the bone before oct. 01? how long do you have to keep the meat on the bone? can i de-bone the meat once i am at my vehicle?

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stickslinger View Post
    i was planning on taking 2 days to get there, I have family in anchorage and was going to stay there the first and last night of the trip. their will be 4 people going so we can rotate drivers. I drove from Anchorage to Valdez on a bear hunt 2 years ago, it was a great drive. should i expect the same road conditions up to fairbanks? I understand the haul road is rough I plan on taking 15 for the trip, so we are not going to be in any hurry. I don't understand why i need a freezer and generator. How warm is it going to get? I kept my elk meat at camp for 10 days without any spoil with temps 30 -60 degrees. we just dried it out and put it in plastic bags then put it in the river during the day when it was warm. then we would pull it out at night.

    What is the reason for removing the meat with the bone before oct. 01? how long do you have to keep the meat on the bone? can i de-bone the meat once i am at my vehicle?
    I may have missed it, but what time of year are you planning to make the hunt. Temps vary a lot depending on when you are going.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •