Thread: New powder data...

Default New powder data...

There are a couple of new powders available that have been wanting to try. Not really new but new to me. The Alliant 10x and Hodgdon's Varget.

There is data for them but mostly for smaller calibers and target applications. What I would like is info about loading Varget in 375 H&H and 10X in 450 Marlin, 458 Win, etc for hunting loads. Varget is close to RL-15 in burning rate and 10x was to replace the old RL-12, which was my favorite powder for the 458 Win Mag.

I bought a bunch of bargain priced powder here lately and I'd like to burn some of it. I've never used the 10x but have used Varget in 223 and 308 Win. I guess I'll just 'seat of the pants' load it if I have to.

Thanks.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Talking shock!

I 'm in shock, not the bullet type, but the kind that one had when you found out there wasn't a Santa (that still might come as a shock to some of you). I couldn't believe what I just read...that our fearless, knowledgeable, go-to-guy when the chips are down, set us straight kinda guy, is asking for info on gun powders. Wow! I gotta print this one and frame it. This leaves me speechless...nah, I guess it's not that shocking. Hi Murphy!

Red face I've been goofin' off...

I know, I know, I shoudda loaded some already but just couldn't get to it....

I bought a couple of pounds of Varget about four years ago then packed up and left the farm and everything there and moved to this island in the middle of Alaska. Couldn't bring any gunpowder, drove across Kanada, so that Varget is still sittin' on the shelf. I get down there a couple times a year and load a few of the small bores, but not much Varget. This 10x stuff I didn't buy, I think I was ticked off 'cause they discontinued the RL-12, so I didn't want to even try it 'cause I knew it wasn't any good.

When I get here powder is $42. an ounce so I couldn't afford but just the barest of necessities, so I didn't buy but maybe 20 pounds a year. Here, recently a shop was wanting to clear their shelves of powder that they paid more for than SW sells it for, put it on sale for $15/pound. So...I went down and bought a few truck loads.

This "farm" is located about 45 minutes from Sierra bullets, and Starline brass (across the street) and about an hour and a half from Hodgdon's Powder. On this farm is a 1,2,3 & 400 yard rifle range, a couple of good handgun ranges, with reactive steel as well a cardboard targets plus full scenario responsive target ranges. There is a complete intro rifle/pistol ranges and some halfway decent clays ranges in a couple of corners.

When I hang around there I have a tendency to burn up a lot of powder. We go to Sierra and buy bullets from them before they get to the green boxes, cheaper that way. This is mostly hundgun and varmint rifle bullets, but a ton or so per year will usually get us by.

For a half days ride, or on the way across the land of Oz to elk country, I can stop at Hornady bullets, or Swift bullets and visit with those folks and look at the new stuff and maybe get some samples.

This "farm" is almost a two hour drive from the largest mail order powder/primers/bullets/ammo place in the world (Midway USA) but guess what, they can't ship powder and primers up here. Also another few miles down the road is my old wholesaler, Graf & Son, and they can't ship powder and primers here either. This pretty well explains why so very few shooters in Alaska load their own ammo. Only fifty five people on this forum responded to the poll on reloading dies.

'Tis a sad state of affairs this....... Alaska.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Talking sorry Murphy

I kinda feel bad...well, not really, for being kinda rough on you...especially after hearing how tough you've had it in the past, and now after hearing about your dilemma getting powder to Ak. For some strange reason, I don't think you're suffering as much as you would want us to believe. Seriously though, how can you get powder up there?

Thumbs up Rl 12

Down Under Guns in Fairbanks still has some RL 12 on the shelve.
    Alaska

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Murphy I'm using Varget in my 376 Steyr. There is some Varget data on the Hodgdon web site I believe for the 375 H&H. If not I have some data in their Annual Reloading Manual. I have heard that some people are experiencing spiking problems with Varget and switching over/back to RL15. I have had no problems so far with the 235 Barnes TSX or the Swift A-Frame 250.

53 grs Varget under a 400gr speer is good for about 1650 in my marlin 45-70......close enough to your 450. got nothing for ya in 375

Professor Murphy,

I've used Varget with .223, .257 Roberts and .30-06. I've found it to be very similiar to RL-15, and some load combinations are very accurate. However, I've not messed around with my .375H&H loads...that cartridge with 270 grainers is made for RL-15...it's a match made in heaven...its perfection. However, I'll confess that when I was breaking-in my new barrel for the H&H I did load up and shoot some Speer 235's with 70 grains of Varget. Towards the end of the break-in sessions I got serious about accuracy and completed a five shot group of 1.5" @ 100...those rounds were not meticulously assembled, so I probably could have done better with greater precision...I just never went back to 235's...I'm a big fan of 270's with the old Brit.

Doc

Default Varget experience...

has been mostly in the .30-06, .308. I used some in the .375 with Hodgdon's powder data, and separated new WW brass ahead of the web.
    In the '06 and .308, I liked the lack of temperature variance. My first real use was at a 1,000 yard match, temps were right at 115 degrees fahrenheit at a foot above the berm where I was shooting prone. In the old days using 4895, I had to start running the sight down as the barrel warmed up and the shots got higher and higher. Not so with Varget. Once I got my sights, I started hammerin' the rounds down as fast as I got the target. Accuracy in my rifles is at least comparable to my old standard IMR 4895 and 4064 loads, in some cases a shade better.
    I've loaded some in .22-250 Ackley to see how it'll do, but haven't made it out with those loads yet.
    All in all, I like the stuff, just not in the .375 H&H yet. At least not the combination I tried.