Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thru-hull transducers with aluminum?

Default thru-hull transducers with aluminum?

Some of what I've read so far seems to indicate that thru-hull transducers won't work with an aluminum hull. I may need to replace my sounder (I have a transom-mounted transducer right now) and I'd love to go thru-hull. Is this possible? Thanks, Art.

Yes they have to be stainless steel. Brass won't work with an alloy boat.
    Boatless

Have two aluminum boats with thru hull transducers. One have a stainless the other nylon.

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    Some of what I've read so far seems to indicate that thru-hull transducers won't work with an aluminum hull. I may need to replace my sounder (I have a transom-mounted transducer right now) and I'd love to go thru-hull. Is this possible? Thanks, Art.
    When you say "Thru hull" do you mean to mount the ducer inside and literally "look" thru the hull?
    Or drill a hole thru the hull? .....geeezz, say that fast 10 times............!
    Both ways will work on a aluminum boat, I am actually using a transom mount Garmin to shoot thru the hull (thanks to Music man)..........
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    When you say "Thru hull" do you mean to mount the ducer inside and literally "look" thru the hull?
    Or drill a hole thru the hull? .....geeezz, say that fast 10 times............!
    Both ways will work on a aluminum boat, I am actually using a transom mount Garmin to shoot thru the hull (thanks to Music man)..........
    That's a negative on drilling holes. I'd sooner revert to a weight on a rope to get depth readings. Thanks for the info akgramps and others...looks like it's time to go shopping!

I'm shooting through .25 in. aluminum with a transom mount Garmin and no problems for 4 years. Do a search of the archives and you might find our old discussion and instructions.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Check out this site.
    http://vexilar.com/pages/accessories...sducers_au.php
    I have this one waiting to be installed when I get some time
    20' Wooldridge Sport 08' 150hp E-Tec
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Are we talking about using shoot-through in rivers or open ocean? Even the vexilar link says their xducer will shoot through AL up to 0.15" thick, but putting a signal through 0.25" of AL for seeing fish and bottom in 100+ feet of water......I'm having a hard time with that.

Music Man, you say you are shooting through 1/4" with a transom mount Garmin. So I'm clear on what you are describing, is your xducer inside the hull? I ask because I've always interpretted the term "transom mount" to stand for a transducer that's mounted on the transom outside the hull. Aluminum plate 1/4" thick attenuates the transducers signal a lot. Feel free to get technical to explain. I was an electronics tech in the CG. I've installed many thru hull (holes in hull) and transom mounted systems, but never one that shot through the hull plating.

The guys on my Alloy boat forum have found that trying to shoot through .250 plate does NOT work very well. They will either pop a hole or go transom mount.

There is something call an Alumaducer (not sure of spelling) and I used to have a website for it but can not find it now. This was for what you are wanting to do. Maybe some one out there has seen this also and has the web site.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Music Man is talking about using a Garmin Transom mount transducer mounted inside the hull and "looking" through the aluminum.
    I am using the same one on my aluminum river boat, which is 1/8".

MM gave me the idea, I was ready to buy a Vexilar. Garmin and Lowrance also make in hull ducers for shooting through aluminum hulls.
    I have used mine for one season, both rivers and salt water. I was nervous about its accuracy so I mounted a identical transom mount to the transom as a back up when I went to Homer last year.

I checked back and forth between the two several times over the course of a week in diffrent conditions and the depth readings always matched, everytime..................

Now........ I am not using a high end depthfinder, Its a 400C Garmin and cost about 3 bills.

As far as seeing fish, they do show up on the screen............I cant verify any more than that.
    There is a lot I dont know when it comes to using a fishfinder very well,...............! Hey.....! That would be a great thread for those that have a lot of experience with them, to help out the rest of us.

I primarily use mine to monitor the depth when Halibut fishing, I did try to do some trolling for kings w/o much success, however no one else was doing any good either..........................

So from my experience they work great..............at least I wont knock it off anymore...!
    TR

My boat has one of the Airmar thru-hull trhansducers (the kind that requires a hole in the hull), but I don't have a hole in the hull. My builder put a bracket on the transom that holds this transducer without a hole in the hull. In the pucture below you can see about half of it. It is partially blocked by the outdrive to the right of center. The performance is great, but it does require some fabrication.

2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Has anyone tried the “looking through the hull” transducer on a boat with UHMW on the bottom?

I have a Phantom Sport Jon and can’t keep the transducer on the transom! Putting it inside the boat would be nice.

Because I like to go exploring, I suspect the “hole in the hull” transducer would have a short life, (though I have looked at them).

Any suggestions?

what is the advantage of have a through hull mounted on the back why not just have a transom mount on there?

Quote Originally Posted by rmk4x4 View Post
    what is the advantage of have a through hull mounted on the back why not just have a transom mount on there?
    Have you ever had your t-ducer get whacked my something in the water? Next thing you know its sticking up at a angle and the none of the depth readings make sense anymore..............!
    Wont happen with a through hull
    TR

I think in the case of jrogers, it lets you avoid drilling a hole in the hull for that style of "thru-hull" transducer (is there a different term for 'ducers that involve a hole versus those that simply send/receive through the hull material?).

The comments above are correct. The other thing is the quality of the transducer you can use. Mine is one of the stainless steel Airmar 1KW transducers, which is about as high a performance as they produce. It is really too large for a conventional transom bracket. I think it is something like 3" diameter.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    The comments above are correct. The other thing is the quality of the transducer you can use. Mine is one of the stainless steel Airmar 1KW transducers, which is about as high a performance as they produce. It is really too large for a conventional transom bracket. I think it is something like 3" diameter.
    Nothing like cruising across Port Wells marking bottom at a 1000'+. I never could do that with a standard transom mount transducer.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I will add a little to the mix. I originally had an Airmar Thru Hull transducer (SS270) until it impacted an uncharted, submerged rock ledge in Resurrection Bay. Instead of replacing it I installed one of the new Airmar transom mount, dual frequency, 1KW units (TM260). Just had to weld the original mounting hole up. It works great, tracking the bottom at 1000' like Spoiled One. Airmar makes several versions of the new TM series so I am sure you can find one that will meet your needs. The new TM series have the same performance as the thru hulls. After using both I would never go back to a thru hull unless there were no way to use a transom mount.

To address Akgramps statement about knocking the transducer up - if you hit something like a log it will flip it up but they are very easy to reset by pushing it back down with a boat hook.

Quote Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
    .... until it impacted an uncharted, submerged rock ledge in Resurrection Bay...
    Not to hi-jack the thread, but do you have any pictures of the damage? I vaguely remember seeing some. I bet that rock has a "mark" on your plotter now.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast