Thread: M1A Socom

Default M1A Socom

I know Springfield is the distributor, but are they U.S. made or Brazil. Anyone have any experience with one? Say for quality,handling etc. Thanx in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaJoe View Post
    I know Springfield is the distributor, but are they U.S. made or Brazil. Anyone have any experience with one? Say for quality,handling etc. Thanx in advance.
    Could not say where they are made. But have handled many times and shot a few times. Great gun and I have been tempted, but have always walked away; they are heavy, relatively cumbersome IMHO and have no practical purpose in my stable. I know a few guys who have bought them and don't keep them too long. Mostly for the reasons I have mentioned, but also because they become expensive to feed.

Great gun though and all depends what you want one for; just to have - hell yeah. range fun - hell yeah, zombie slaying-hell yeah, hunting - not practical IMHO.

I have a M1A Scout. They are good quality and made in the USA. I agree with nbh40, they aren't very practical, but cool to have. They become a huge money pit if you attempt to put optics on them.

I shot the McMillan version at one of their demo range day events, I loved it. McMillan provided Black Hills match ammunition for anyone to demo the rifle.

The only down side that I saw was the cost, it's high in my opinion at $3400 with the folding stock and other refinements that they offer.

http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-ri...ctical-m1a.php

They also offer a M3A version.

http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-ri...ctical-m3a.php

The SOCOM version doesn't feel or balance well for me. But if you like it, you should buy one. I prefer the standard full length walnut stocked version. When I visited Springfield in Geneseo, Ill. about 15 years ago they were making their own receivers and using mostly GI parts. That parts supply is drying up fast, and now they are also making a lot of the trigger and bolt parts, as well as the gas cylinder. In other words, most of the rifle is "commercial" production now. Their 1911's are brazilian frames and slides, but in my opinion, probably the best brazilian made guns on the market. Light years ahead of Taurus.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    The SOCOM version doesn't feel or balance well for me. But if you like it, you should buy one. I prefer the standard full length walnut stocked version. When I visited Springfield in Geneseo, Ill. about 15 years ago they were making their own receivers and using mostly GI parts. That parts supply is drying up fast, and now they are also making a lot of the trigger and bolt parts, as well as the gas cylinder. In other words, most of the rifle is "commercial" production now. Their 1911's are brazilian frames and slides, but in my opinion, probably the best brazilian made guns on the market. Light years ahead of Taurus.
    Only their "lower" priced 1911's are Brazilian metal, most of the models in the $1k+ price range are made in the USA.

$3400!!!!!

You could build your own para-FAL for under a grand.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    $3400!!!!!

You could build your own para-FAL for under a grand.
    Like I said, it's high. It was quite nice and accurate but priced beyond my budget for a rifle that I don't need.

I think they are made in USA, still. The M1A in general is a very fine rifle, having its limitations and debatable qualities, but I don't think much of the SOCOM version. The 18" Scout is more practical. The noise maker at the muzzle needs to be removed on both of them. I have recently added a standard rifle M1A to my platoon of "battle rifles" and find it does shoot better than the 18" FAL or the 16" AR. No surprise really. I disagree with the rifle not being practical or expensive to feed. The magazines are expensive, compared to the FAL mags but ammo is still available on the cheap and it is so simple to hand load for all these 308/7.62x51 caliber auto-loading rifles. New 20 round mags are about $65. I hand load with a small base body die (sizes the body only) and a neck sizing die, this makes ammo that never fails to feed or fire (so far, but only up to about 90,000 rounds with this system).
    Everybody should own an M1A of his choosing.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I've only handled a few collector's military rifles, and the M1A strikes me as not much different: heavy and designed to shoot lots rather than for looking nice. I live in the lower 48 right now, and I'd be tempted to get one as a general purpose hunting/defensive rifle if I was a treestand hunter. However, I'm not, and M1As seem way too heavy for tromping around the woods.

I've preferred the Mini-14/Mini-30 for weight and price, but the biggest cartridges they come in are 6.8 & russian 7.62. I guess if you scale down the garand-style action, you have to scale down the cartridge too. Also, the Minis I've shot are only accurate enough that I'd trust hunting with them inside 100 yards.

I've wanted to like the M1A for a while, but I don't think the cost and weight are worth it. You can make them light by sticking on an expensive aftermarket stock, but at that point I'd rather have a platform that was closer to what I wanted straight from the box.

There are a few other rifles that would fill a similar niche for me, but I need to sell a few guns before I go shopping again. Kel-tec has an interesting bullpup in .308. Marlin has a .45-70 with an extended magazine. And Ruger just came out with a .308 bolt action with a big 10-round mag. All of them would make good zombie guns that could be used for deer.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Well Murphy, I've been wanting one for a long, long time and in my opinion they are a very practical and nice looking rifle. Thanks for helping me make up my mind! Time to go shopping and I agree, the 18" Scout is the way to go. I have a few ARs and a Mini-14 but the M1A is a better rig in my opinion.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

I'm thinking about selling mine to get a Larue OBR. Let me know if you want to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug in Alaska View Post
    Well Murphy, I've been wanting one for a long, long time and in my opinion they are a very practical and nice looking rifle. Thanks for helping me make up my mind! Time to go shopping and I agree, the 18" Scout is the way to go. I have a few ARs and a Mini-14 but the M1A is a better rig in my opinion.
    I hope I didn't sway you away from your original desires.. I agree with you. I am a big fan of the M14/M1a rifles..........old Navy. I've carried the heavy rifles in places where I didn't want to go.....they were very reliable and accurate rifles. They are a modernized version of the M1 Garand, which was very well proven..........and heavy!
    With the 308 cartridge I think 18" of barrel makes a more practical gun than the 16" SOCOM......Plus the Scout has that top rail which I find useful also. It should be a very enjoyable rifle to shoot whether hunting or general field craft. They are fine rifles and have a connection to the military past for me. Enjoy your rifle.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Would the M1A be a good rifle to carry in big bear territory? Would multiple shots of good ammo be better than a heavy caliber bolt gun say a .375 Ruger or H&H? Would the semi-auto work ok in extreme cold?

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Dude View Post
    Would the M1A be a good rifle to carry in big bear territory? Would multiple shots of good ammo be better than a heavy caliber bolt gun say a .375 Ruger or H&H? Would the semi-auto work ok in extreme cold?
    always read that the possibility of jamming or such make any auto load not a good choice for dangerous game.
    Heard there was a load of 35 Whelen barrels for the Garand out there somewhere. That would be a fun setup.
    Last edited by green sourdough; 02-03-2011 at 21:01. Reason: added info

In all the shooting I did with a match prepped M14, and the oldest son's SOCOM, I've yet to have a failure to feed, fire, and one failure to extract, and that was a steel-cased Wolf cartridge that the extractor pulled through the rim. Tilted the rifle up with the bolt open and the case fell out. No more Wolf in that gun.
    Heavy? Maybe, if'n ya still got lace on yer knickers. Worth every pound in my book, and my AR's weigh within ounces of the same weight.
    I absolutely HATE the muzzle thing on the SOCOM. The short barrel and muzzle blast, as well as the sheet of flame coming out the barrel that is that short are, well, a lot more than annoying. Perhaps it was designed that way so that if you missed, the blast and flame would deafen and blind an opponent long enough to scurry up and butt-stroke 'em........