Thread: ATV Transportation

Default ATV Transportation

I'm a first time ATV shopper - I would prefer to transport 4 wheeler in back of my Chevy short bed truck but even with tailgate down the rear tires presumably (Yamaha 550) hangs off by let's say 6-8 inches. I'm not real comfortable with this situation but thought I'd see what others are doing. Trailer isn't high on my list for second choice due to space issues in the driveway.

Default Should fit

I have a 700 grizzly with 27inch tires and it fits in the back of my gmc short bed with the tail gate up you shouldn't have to wry if you leave it down I would just use 4 straps and make sure it's tight I used to do this with my old arcticcat. Do you have one of those really small beds like on a Colorado?

It's a 08 Chevy crew cab short box. I just measured the truck and the bed is 69" and the bed with tailgate down is 93". I spec'd out the Yamaha 550 and I thought is said it was in the 81" range so I would have to drive with tailgate down which even strapped down I'm not real excited about doing but it may have to be the answer.

Not sure the length of your bed exactly, but my 400 ArcticCat doesn't even sit on my tailgate. I have a '10 Tundra 6.5' bed. The only reason my tailgate doesn't close is because of the push bumper on the machine, I keep it back about 8" from the front of the truck bed (I like my back window), and there is a hitch on the back of the machine. Other than that, it would totally close.

I haul my 6x6 in the bed of my truck a lot. With my fuel tank in the bed I have to run it with the tail gate down also. Just make sure the rack won't hit the window (I put a piece of plywood in front of mine), set the brake and throw a ratchet strap behind it and you will have no problems.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Hey thanks for the ideas guys. I went to Yamaha today and the 550 is indeed too long to fit with the tailgate up, but I have a foot to spare with the tailgate down. I was going to strap it in even if the tailgate would shut, there's just something I don't like about driving down the highway with something in the back and the tailgate down. I'm going to have to get over it! Thanks again, now off to the dealership!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I haul mine with the tailgate down all the time. I have straps on all four corners of the wheeler, and it's bomb-proof. The bed will sooner come off the truck before the wheeler comes out of the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I haul mine with the tailgate down all the time. I have straps on all four corners of the wheeler, and it's bomb-proof. The bed will sooner come off the truck before the wheeler comes out of the bed.
    You drive a Dodge and own Arctic Crap ATV. LOL Yes, a atv will haul fine in a short box with the tailgate down. Like AK mud said, protect the rear window.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by FishKing View Post
    You drive a Dodge and own Arctic Crap ATV. LOL Yes, a atv will haul fine in a short box with the tailgate down. Like AK mud said, protect the rear window.
    While I don't have an Arctic Cat, I definitely detect a bit of jealousy about my truck. Anytime you want to run with the big boys, you know what you gotta do...dump that powerstroke and get a Cummins!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    While I don't have an Arctic Cat, I definitely detect a bit of jealousy about my truck. Anytime you want to run with the big boys, you know what you gotta do...dump that powerstroke and get a Cummins!!!!

Sorry you ride a Kawasuckie. As for the Powerjoke, it runs fine, paid for and has enough power.

The 1500 Chevy Crew-Cabs come with a slightly shorter "short" bed. About 5'9" instead of the usual 6'6".
    Chevy squeezed a 1500 Crew-Cab body onto a 1500 "Extended-Cab" wheelbase, so something had to give.
    They robbed 9" outta the bed, to pay for 9" more in the back seat. Requires different sized caps, liners, etc.

The 2500 and 3500 series Chevy's still have the standard 6'6" short beds or the 8' long beds.

Quote Originally Posted by 377PFA View Post
    It's a 08 Chevy crew cab short box. I just measured the truck and the bed is 69" and the bed with tailgate down is 93". I spec'd out the Yamaha 550 and I thought is said it was in the 81" range so I would have to drive with tailgate down which even strapped down I'm not real excited about doing but it may have to be the answer.
    I have a 99 Chevy extended cab, short bed. It has taken my 08 Grizzly 700 to many trail-heads more times than I can count. I always had to ride with the tailgate down, since I have a "tuxedo tonneau cover" which fills the first foot or so of the front of the bed. I have never had an issue hauling in this way, and I use only one strap across the back of the wheeler. If your wheeler is close enough to the rear window to touch it - I would recommend more straps to save your window in a panic braking situation.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.