Thread: 40/30 Yamaha flooding when starting warm

Default 40/30 Yamaha flooding when starting warm

As I mentioned on the the G3 thread I have a 40/30 Yamaha four stroke jet drive. It is the last model year before they switched from carbs to EFI (2007 I think?). It starts great when the motor is cold, but I've experienced some occasional flooding when starting the motor when it is warm. This can usually be avoided by advancing the throttle (~1/3), but that still doesn't solve the problem at hand. I'm thinking that this may be an issue with the electronic choke but I can't be sure.

While it isn't a really bad issue and it always starts eventually, it is something that I think I'd better try and figure out before it gets me into trouble out on the river. Has anyone else experienced this with this motor before? Any suggestions/thoughts? The shop guys have suggested getting the carbs synched. It does seem to idle a little rough so that could be part of the issue, but it seems there should be more to it.

Thanks all.

It may be as easy as setting the throttle adjustment on the tiller a bit higher. I can give you the standard answer- new plugs, fuel filter, fresh fuel and some sea foam. You may need to clean the carbs, but I usually don't worry about the super low idle anyway, as you're never shifting gears forward/reverse, just simply moving the reverse bucket. Shouldn't have to worry about it dying or grinding. A bit higher idle isn't a bad thing. Trace the throttle linkage back to the carbs, that's a good place to start if you want to make sure the throttle plates are moving and adjusted together. As long as you run good under load, you shouldn't have anything major to worry about. I almost always twist the throttle a bit to start and then adjust it down, just makes a little more noise and a little splashing, but it's reliable.

On another note, the pisser hose has a fitting that necks down as it exits the cowling. Remove this and just push the host through the hole. Put a zip tie or clamp over the hose on the outside of the cowling. Gives you a much larger discharge openign. Right here and the first "T" fitting headed back to the motor are usually where you get clogged up.