Thread: Guns for cats

Default Guns for cats

Q1 -What 12 gauge load/choke combos would work well for Lynx without tearing the pelt up too bad?

Q2- Would a .22 lr work on them well enough out to 100 yds?

My only other varmint gun is a .243 Win. and it seems like that'd shred the hide no matter what bullet I use...

Q3 - I'm going to try 58 gr V-Max in the .243 for dogs; too much for cats?

I've been using 3.5" Dead Yote T-shot with a Dead Yote extended choke tube. I dropped a lylnx at 56 yards and it had minimal damage. I shot another last year at around 20 yards and it had more holes, but not anything that tore or split it up badly.

A 22LR would work for cats. I'm not sure how well it'd work out at the 100 yard range, but with proper shot placement, I'm sure it'd put one down.

You could load up a slow moving .243/6mm FMJ bullet and not damage the hide much. I don't know if you'll be able to keep 58gr V-max from splitting a cat. There really isn't much body mass to them and dispersing that energy will probably end up in a split, even with a side or front on shot. I've never shot a cat with a .243, so cannot say for sure what it'd do. Hopefully someone on here who has firsthand accounts of cat kills with one can speak up.

The cats I've shot this year have been tough sob's. I switched from 4buck to 1buck out of a full choke to make sure that if I hit one, it'll go down. Personally, 100 yards would be beyond my comfortable range for a 22lr. I agree that any type of expandable bullet out of a .243 would probably do some serious damage, but then again I put a big hole in a cat this year with a .223 and FMJ's. I would rather sew holes than have an animal get away, so I typically use more firepower than may be necessary.

lab man,
    What kind of velocity is your FMJ .223 traveling? I got a lynx last weekend with a 62gr. FMJ that's going around 3100fps and it ripped a good sized hole in the cat. I was thinking multiple coyote type spot and this crazy lynx trotted on it on me. I was up high and hit it square in the front of the chest and just split the thing. I might just have a rug made out of him, since the line is already started. Either way...the cat didn't get away.

17cal is a accurate..flat and fast (2200f/s). no pelt damage close or far!

I actually have no idea what the specs are on the rounds I was shooting. I shot the lynx at about 20ft with the shotgun, and she needed a finishing shot after holding up in the thick brush. I thought I would do too much damage with the shotgun, so I grabbed my dad's .223 and put one in the chest at a quatering away angle. After seeing the damage, you would have thought I shot her with an expandable .308..

Funny you mention crazy lynx. A month or so ago I was set up in a spot where I thought I had a good chance at wolves or fox, and this cat crossed well over 200 yards of open country to get to me. I couldn't believe it. I tried shooting multiple times with the rifle, but it was too cold to function correctly. It ended up trotting to within 40 yards of me, and apparently didn't care when I set the rifle down and picked up the shotgun. I've been surprised this year at how little blood I've found tracking animals I've shot with shotguns. I had one lynx that bled for 50 or 60 yards before going dry, a lynx that only bled when she sat down to watch her backtrail, and a fox that didn't bleed a single bit. I knew I had to have made a solid shot on that fox, but he ended up running 75 yards through the brush until he died mid-stride. And like I said, not a single drop of blood.

Holly,
    I'm guessing you're shooting the .17 HRM with those velocities correct? What bullets are you using and have you been happy with? I have one of those and should pull it out this year and get some fur with it.

lab man,
    I have a tough lynx story from this season too. I shot this lynx that jumped 5 feet up in the air and landed on the ground. Then after a couple seconds, it got up and tried to get away to my amazement. I didn't want to put another hole in it so I sprinted towards it and gave it the butt end of my gun to the noggin'. Not the greatest photo, but you get the point.

Even on something as small as a fox, a FMJ can make a large hole. If it hits bone, you get 2 things happening, the bone is splintered & pieces go everywhere. The other thing is the bullet will tumble right on thru the animal, possibly resulting in a much larger than 22 cal hole.
    A 22 lr (at most any range that will allow full penetration) thru the lungs will kill most anything. When I was a kid, I trapped foxes for the bounty (PA), trapping was mostly during late summer. Pups were starting out on their own, but usually you'd get a couple traveling together. If you caught one in a dirt hole set, there would (more often than not) be a litter mate orr mother sitting close by. The trick was to have the set where you could get a shot at the other fox before it was aware you were there. A 22 thru the lungs almost always resulted in a 30-45 yard dead out sprint, followed by a pile up. I shot most at under 50 yards.

i shot a coyote with a 223 fmj and blew the front sholder blade in half. the sholderblade split and as the coyote made his last few steps he extented the hole to two inches!

Red face

Shotgun - I was thinking something along the lines of BBB to #4 buckshot with a full choke (I don't really want to buy another choke but may need to I spose).

I'm not sure how well it'd work out at the 100 yard range, but with proper shot placement, I'm sure it'd put one down.
    My .22lr rifle likes CCI Stingers well enough to make consistant 2" groups at 100 yds with me shooting in the sitting position with a bipod. If the bullet would do the trick (expand) and it isn't windy I would'a thought the cat would be as good as dead out to 100 yds. I didn't realize they were as tuff as you guys are telling me they are. Who knew
    Thanks for the replies.

I am loading a 40 gr. nosler balistic tip in a 223 just a little over 3100 fps. So far I have not had a exit with this bullet. Only shot a couple fox with it so far. They were facing me and did not move after the shot. The bullet just exploded inside the animal. When i get a broad side shot I might have to change my mind but so far I am very pleased with it.

Quote Originally Posted by wyobohunter View Post
    Shotgun - I was thinking something along the lines of BBB to #4 buckshot with a full choke (I don't really want to buy another choke but may need to I spose).
    I don't think you need to buy a new choke. The full should work fine. I would just go a little bigger than 4Buck. I'm experimenting with 1buck right now. Very little pelt damage so far.