Thread: need a new fish finder.. options?

Default need a new fish finder.. options?

I am looking for a new sounder option for my boat. Iíll be replacing the ducer at the same time. Does anyone have a recommendation at all? Iíd like something that will be sufficient for shrimping as well as perhaps finding a bait ball or two.
    Thanks!
    dan

Humminbird 997C SI Side Imaging Dual Beam Combo gps Fish Finder

This thing does it all. Comes with a pretty hefty price tag I think they are $2k or a lil more. Not only can you spot fish to the side it also picks obstructions like hidden reefs in unfamiliar water.

I think a price range will help us alot in our recommendations.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    I think a price range will help us alot in our recommendations.
    Hey as long as I am spending his money its ok

Lets figure I'm looking for a dedicated sounder for less than 700.00

dan

Lowrance Elite 5 would be my first choice...very easy operation and makes it easy to tell if you are looking at fish or debris. After reading it for a while you can discern what type of fish too. For another $100 you can have the Elite 5 combo with the card for Alaska waters...nothing wrong with a back-up GPS sytem. I use the combo and it works great.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Friends went with a furuno fcv 620 and an airmar transom mount transducer. It's a little bit over your budget, but from what he's said, well worth the $ and it performs even better that what it's rated for in terms of depth.

You might be interested in getting one with the Nmea 2000 protocol, this would allow some interconnectivity if you were to install a fuel flow gauge (would also have to be NMEA 2000). Lowrance & Garmin make a inline one.
    Instead of looking at GPH only it will give you MPG, this info is a little easier to utilize on the fly and with todays fuel costs it doesnt hurt to try to economize.
    There is a multitude of devices that could be connected via 2000...........
    Just a thought.
    ďNothing worth doing is easyĒ
    TR

What kinds of fishing do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by akfishin View Post
    I am looking for a new sounder option for my boat. Iíll be replacing the ducer at the same time. Does anyone have a recommendation at all? Iíd like something that will be sufficient for shrimping as well as perhaps finding a bait ball or two.
    Thanks!
    dan

I will be doing a little trolling for salmon (trying to get more into that) and then just looking for halibut and rockfish while the pots soak.

Right now waiting on a quote for a thru hull install. I figure I'll weigh that against purchase price of something new. Right now I"ve got an older hummingbird 727 that *should* be good to a bit over 1000k feet but either 1) the ducer isn't installed well 2) it's a rather shoddy unit. So would a thru hull improve performance? i think it outta, perhaps.

What kind of boat?

Have to second the furuno, I have been using the 585 for the last couple years and it is a great unit. The 620 is the same technology only in a 6" version and the 585 is an 8".
    Kodiak Island Adventures
    907-539-6474
    Shearwater 38' Allen Marine Catamaran
    Lana J 40' USCG inspected

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    What kind of boat?
    It's a 22' Osprey...

Lots of good Fish Finders these days. The cheap stuff now blows away the expensive stuff we'd use 15 years ago. I wouldn't worry too much about a thru Hull, since you are going to get a new transducer with whatever you get.

One thing you might want to think about is a duel freq transducer, since you are thinking about trolling.