Thread: Crosscut Saw - Firewood

Default Crosscut Saw - Firewood

Does anyone know where I can buy a one man crosscut saw for firewood in the Anchorage/Wasilla area? I want one for emergency backup.

If I ever see one of those things again, I'll be painting a picture on the blade, LMAO.

Had to use both the single, and the double from the time I was 6 to the time I was 11. ( finaly got a MAC-10)

They work, but alot of work.

I think there are alot of them around the interior.

Rock Skipper How good a painter are you? I always wanted to do that, One side for summer other side winter, and have a couple of two handles and one single handle ,How much are things worth nowadays.I will have too give this some thought. All are still useable shape and sharp, Haven,t had them out for yrs. And they are kept inside.

Not good at all, but I would paint it just to remind me, lol.

Seriously, Take a wire brush and get it back to its natural color, then find your best photos of summer and winter and sketch them into the blade, its kinda like a tracing thing, then put your own background to match your picture.

There are better people on here that can give you better advice on this, its fun and one heck of a piece of art if you take your time.

Wish you the best,( hint, take a handsaw to pratice on)

Stellar,
    If it is a back up I would find a bow saw blade maybe at AIH and build a take down bow saw. Google it and get plans. Could make a nice project. Just a thought.

George

Thanks, I thought i might have run into a Art major. We have done the sketch thing was pretty cool only on a ulu knife though.Actually my youngest is going to College To be Art Major, She is good, Probably wait for her to get into more of the scenery stuff.Though.

Google Lehmans Hardware they have some or better yet the sites like ebay and get an older one that is taper ground. I can tell you from experience they will out preform new ones that are just punched out from flat stock.
    Chuck

+1 hiline. The older taper ground are superior. I spent a few summer working for the Forest Service. We would stock the cabins with firewood. The cabins that were in wilderness areas all the firewood had to be cut with crosscut saws. No powertools allowed. We had both the older taper ground and the newer punched out models. Taper ground takes a few extra minutes to sharpen but it is worth it.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

I think we got off track here. Does anyone have one for sale to this gent?

http://www.jimscrosscutsaws.com/Saws_For_Sale.html

You can try this man... I bought one from him and am satisfied with the quality...