Thread: Bears while calling for other predators?

Default Bears while calling for other predators?

I've heard that you can occasionally call in a bear while predator calling during the winter. Have I heard correctly? Anybody done this or know somebody who has? If there is any real chance of calling in a black bear I may work up a .243 Winchester black bear load and bring a few along while I'm out calling.

According to the ballistics calculator I use: a 95 grain Nosler Partition traveling at max velocity follows a near identical trajectory out to 350 yards or so as a 58 grain Hornady V-Max traveling at start or reduced load velocities. Anybody think this sounds nutty?

I think that if you were to call in a bear it wouldnt be black I ocasionally cut tracks throughout the winter and they have always been brown bear tracks. I think the chances are pretty slim though

I think that if you were to call in a bear it wouldnt be black
    Yeah, your prolly right. That's why I always carry the 454. But still, it wouldn't cost much in money or weight to carry a few partitions.

I think about that one EVERY time I call here on Kodiak. So far so good, no bears have come to the call.

I do sit with a 475 Linebaugh in reach. Maybe enough, maybe not but puts me at ease while calling here. It definitely can happen any time here, I saw a good sized set of tracks last week, I did not call there that day.