Thread: New tackle this year?

Default New tackle this year?

Curious if anyone has reports on new rods and reels, or anything you're going to try different this year?

I'm planning on adding a daiwa saltiga jigging rod, and getting a pair of avet jx 4.1 reels for bottom fishing. For the salmon ****nol I'm planning on a getting another pair of the shimano charter special tr1000ld's. If I can find some spare time I'll put carbon tex drag washers in the tr1000ld's and the tld 15's.

Unless I come across another deel on a pile of jigs for too little to pass up as I did last year, I have enough jigs for the season. I've been debating getting a mold to cast some speed jigs, but just don't see me having the time to cast and paint them. Maybe next season.

*A whole whack of new tomic salmon plugs - I'm gonna put some fast troll time in this year.
    *Some new/old commercial salmon spoons bought at PN&T in Richmond, BC. Canadian wonders, LG Johnsons, etc. Gotta get them painted up.
    *New bottomfish combo - okuma cedros rod and shimano tyrnos 10II reel for Christmas.
    *Electric scotty downriggers

deleted for commercial content
    Last edited by Paul H; 01-25-2011 at 11:37. Reason: commercial post
    Owner of Kenai Keeper www.kenaikeeper.com

Bought soooo much stuff in the last few years that I have been cut-off by my better half. Technically I have enough tackle to sustain for 2 or 3 years for the whole family...yep it`s a sickness.

End of season last year I put together a new lightweight Wright Mcgill jigging rod/Shimano reel that will get some use this year but for the most part I`m dialed in.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Bought soooo much stuff in the last few years that I have been cut-off by my better half. Technically I have enough tackle to sustain for 2 or 3 years for the whole family...yep it`s a sickness.

End of season last year I put together a new lightweight Wright Mcgill jigging rod/Shimano reel that will get some use this year but for the most part I`m dialed in.
    I'm with you on that one. Heck, I've got a wide selection of BoneYard Baits I got last year that never hit the water due to bad weather out of Seward. For the first time in quite a few years, the only thing I really need this year is weather to cooperate.

Default Don't drop um in the water.....

I just ordered 16 of these.....Penn International 12 VSX two speeds from the Penn Custom Shop......
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    I just ordered 16 of these.....Penn International 12 VSX two speeds from the Penn Custom Shop......
    First...you suck!
    Second...bigger picture! Don`t make me waste more work time chasing down pictures!!!
    Third...when the wife says I can pay for a charter I`ll come on down...for now it`s just me in the red rubber duckie.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Thinking about adding some more seeker rods to the boat but really want to try out some of the new hercules rods. I have heard a few mixed reviews but want to find out for myself. If they don't work I will go with the 659H's. Anyone out the have used on the seeker herucles rods? If so what did you think of them?

Mel
    Kodiak Island Adventures
    907-539-6474
    Shearwater 38' Allen Marine Catamaran
    Lana J 40' USCG inspected

Default better photo

[QUOTE=AK2AZ;878345]First...you suck!
    Second...bigger picture! Don`t make me waste more work time chasing down pictures!!!
    Third...when the wife says I can pay for a charter I`ll come on down...for now it`s just me in the red rubber duckie.[/QUOTE

Here you go:
    Attached Images Attached Images

[QUOTE=AKCAPT;878525]
    Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    First...you suck!
    Third...when the wife says I can pay for a charter I`ll come on down...for now it`s just me in the red rubber duckie.[/QUOTE

Here you go:
    Did they send you any pics with your engravings on it?
    Boatless

no photos, I will have them all if 4 weeks. If you check the Penn Custom Shop website you can "Build you own reel" and see what you can put on it.
    Should be sweet reels, I am going to hate to see the first one go over the side!

Paul H...a buddy of mine makes his own bottom jigs, just plain lead but a little curve to them for action, close to a cripple herring in shape and bend, and we've been trying them compared to a variety of painted ones, and you know what? They catch just as many if not more fish, mostly rockfish, ling, some halibut. you might form up a few speed jigs and give them a try. I sure like looking at those new holographic paint jobs with sexy eyes, but I don't think the fish see any of that at the depths you'd use a speed jig! Easier to find the painted ones on the boat, though

AK Capt....wow, those are some premium reels you are buying, hard to believe charter clients are getting that quality of gear, I hope they recognize and appreciate it and that none go over the side....I see lots of Penn International reels and other top of the line gear, Avets etc. on the rods of many of the charters I eyeball in Valdez harbor, I hope a lot of people participating in this forum or taking a charter realize what an experience they are getting just fishing those new reels besides what fish they catch! It seems pretty evident that running a charter business is all about reputation and it's great that business can be good enough to buy gear you can be proud of and that will hold up to rookies and masters of the sport!

By the way everyone, a couple of people have asked, the Cap'n Ron nickname came from that fine movie, I never have been or ever will be a charter captain!

Wow those look like great reels
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Without trying to sound like too much of a commercial, I'll cast anything I can get a mold for! Currently I have the lead and a number of molds and always willing to get more. From downrigger weights to cod weights to snag hooks and jigs (up to 32oz), I'll get it done just let me know!

So if you don't have the time/energy/ambition to, let me know and I'm sure we can work something out. I'm especially fond of Valdez

If you check the Penn Custom Shop website you can "Build you own reel"
    I didn't know this existed. I'm now looking at getting two or three of the VSX 16 but also saw the VS 16 there. I checked their spec page and it looks like the difference is the retrieve and strike drag. Do you have any insight or recommendation here? Is there a local (Alaska) Penn Custom Shop retailer or did you use one of the online stores?